Update 11.30?

Thread: Update 11.30?

Update 11.30?

Nothing really spectacular with this update, as a matter of fact I would think the casual flyer would be hard pressed to see any visual differences at all over 11.26. Default water and clouds remain as they have been. . .no real improvement to ATC (they did add new voices, lol) there are updates to various codes (FDE) for the default airplanes and as with previous updates, a large number of new airports and enhancements to current ones.

Where the real difference is felt is in the FPS. With V11.26 I was able to set some of my sliders near max which gave me good fps (around 20-22) and ample autogen (buildings and vegetation) and still be able to fly over a major city without it becoming a slide show. With this update I have had to do away with AA altogether, no ground shadows, no reflection usage and I'm barely getting 17-18fps.

While reading the forum on this latest version I have found similar observations from a good many users. This update is not being received very well with most pointing out the same complaint. . .lower fps.

It's late and I will continue with more testing in the morning, but if, after doing everything I can to get a good balance. . .it still isn't what I had prior to the update then I'll uninstall, run CCleaner. . .weed out any remnants of X-Plane and reinstall 11.26.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Yeah I have been hearing the same Falcon. Unfortunately even though I removed the update that was scheduled in Steam, it somehow added itself back and updated without me even knowing about it. I can't judge the comparative FPS too well as I just did a fresh installation of XP11 on a brand new PC build so my FPS are obviously much better than what I was getting before on my old PC. I only had a few flights in 11.26 before it automatically updated a few days ago. I was getting around 50 FPS though during a few flights, but after the update and flying around the new Elstree scenery my FPS were down to around 30. As I say though I did no direct comparison tests so I can't really judge too well. Once I turned buildings down two notches and reflections off my FPS went back up to 50.

TBH I needed to update anyway as I am testing addons in XP11, so I need to keep it up to date.

Hopefully they release another update to deal with the drop in FPS.

I did just read about a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel which seems to improve FPS, so you may be able to get a few frames back.

How to turn it on. Results may vary

Nvidia Control Panel..

Manage 3D settings

Program settings

Find X-Plane.. If it's not there add it, then search for Thread Optimization and turn it to ON instead of Auto..

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...omment-1462789

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Yeah I have been hearing the same Falcon. Unfortunately even though I removed the update that was scheduled in Steam, it somehow added itself back and updated without me even knowing about it. I can't judge the comparative FPS too well as I just did a fresh installation of XP11 on a brand new PC build so my FPS are obviously much better than what I was getting before on my old PC. I only had a few flights in 11.26 before it automatically updated a few days ago. I was getting around 50 FPS though during a few flights, but after the update and flying around the new Elstree scenery my FPS were down to around 30. As I say though I did no direct comparison tests so I can't really judge too well. Once I turned buildings down two notches and reflections off my FPS went back up to 50.

TBH I needed to update anyway as I am testing addons in XP11, so I need to keep it up to date.

Hopefully they release another update to deal with the drop in FPS.

I did just read about a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel which seems to improve FPS, so you may be able to get a few frames back.

How to turn it on. Results may vary

Nvidia Control Panel..

Manage 3D settings

Program settings

Find X-Plane.. If it's not there add it, then search for Thread Optimization and turn it to ON instead of Auto..

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...omment-1462789

Cheers,
    Hey Scotth6, you just stole my thunder...I was just going to say you can bring your fps back in your Nvidia setup by using thread optimization or you can use your bios to turn it on. Thank you for posting...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Hey Scotth6, you just stole my thunder...I was just going to say you can bring your fps back in your Nvidia setup by using thread optimization or you can use your bios to turn it on. Thank you for posting...
    Ted
    Haha. Sorry mate

I only saw that tip myself a day or two ago. I have implemented it in the Nvidia control panel, but haven't had a chance to test the results yet.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I have tried the various suggestions, however nothing gives me anything close to what I had with 11.26. As a matter of fact I have most setting at their lowest mark (which isn't at all worth flying in) with AA off completely and 13fps is as high as it will go. I'm going to look through the forum discussions and see if anything else works. If not I'm going back to 11.26. . .(which after a brief reality check was shown to be impossible, lol)

There's no way to stop auto-updates unless you hold a "Pro-Key" for X-Plane, so even if I were to do a clean install of 11.26, the first time I run the sim it will just run the update again. As it stands right now, with my rig the new update has made XP unflyable. If no major fix is in the offing my brief excursion into XP will come to an end and I'll go back to flying FSX as my sole Sim. too bad.
    Last edited by falcon409; January 14th, 2019 at 09:35. Reason: Corrected a previous statement

Current System Specs:

Hi all,
    Thanks for this tip, will try it this evening.
    Nevertheless impression is 11.30 still positive.

Don't love the update process model, tho.

Deleting preferences and the shadercache may also help. And checking for incompatible plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Deleting preferences and the shadercache may also help. And checking for incompatible plugins.
    Thanks but I've been through all of those with no change. I'm looking now to see how the video card should be setup and how to optimize X-Plane, ie; a baseline configuration to start from.

Current System Specs:

Bjoern. . .good call! I had not considered the plug-ins as they weren't a problem before the update. However I took your lead and moved all of them into a separate folder. Reloaded the sim and the fps jumped from 11-12 to 23fps.
    Thank you!!!!

I'll go back now and test each one to see where the log jam occurred.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Bjoern. . .good call! I had not considered the plug-ins as they weren't a problem before the update. However I took your lead and moved all of them into a separate folder. Reloaded the sim and the fps jumped from 11-12 to 23fps.
    Thank you!!!!

I'll go back now and test each one to see where the log jam occurred.
    In my case, the anchor was "Marine Traffic X". So if you have it installed, throw it out and replace it with that other plugin that does the same thing.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    My Steam copy just updated to 11.30, I guess in the background because I didn’t notice it.

i have my settings pretty high and frame rates appear to be better than .26. Nice updates on new airports and smoke is much better. I like it.

now, if only a decent atc and seasons

Somewhere, somehow, LR once said that seasons will not happen in XP11. Maybe the next release or the one after that.

When you say delete shadercache, what folder is this file located in? Skip
    Asus Rog Strix Z 390 Intel I 9900 36 g Ram@4200 1080 TI Overclock 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by skipph View Post
    When you say delete shadercache, what folder is this file located in? Skip
    This is where it's located: (for me)
    D:\X-Plane 11\Output\shadercache\93942deab9d1612d88149a14e031 8897\GeForce GTX 970PCIeSSE2\36385

Current System Specs:

Somewhere, somehow, LR once said that seasons will not happen in XP11. Maybe the next release or the one after that.
    I have read the same in the forums. I'm using TerraMaxx which has seasonal textures however they don't affect orthoimagery so flying into an area that contains that type of ground texture in Winter looks odd.
    Last edited by falcon409; January 17th, 2019 at 15:25.

Current System Specs:

Thanks for passing on tip about that NVIDIA settings. "Results may vary as you say" but for me I would definitely say it made my experience with 11.30 better.

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0