AVRO Project 621 and 621 Trainer - FSX port over uploaded! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AVRO Project 621 and 621 Trainer - FSX port over uploaded!

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Hmmm...perhaps more or less 3 years of 12/7 spent on the AVROs has something to do with it, Downwind.
    12/7 that is, except when my off-grid power system decides to head South :-(

That, and a PHENOMENAL team of Beta testers!!!

Now I hear the voices: "Go West Young man, GO WEST!"...

What has impressed me is the level of detail of the gmax model ( which he graciously sent me for my own use) - it has 60,000 plus polys & how it managed to compile (plus the animations) that lot I don't know - I usually am lucky to exceed 30,000 plus animations for each interior & exterior - & the detail of his textures & artistry - yes I know he is essentially an artist for want of a word I cannot remember:-( , but has shown what can be done if one is patient. May many more suns shine on this & future work.
    Beta testing is easy - very easy to find fault, not always easy to correct by the creator. Then there is the FDE - James has done a fantastic job & again criticism is very easy.
    In awe
    Keith

Hi blanston,
    I'm glad that they work well for you.
    My settings should only be a rough template.
    You can change them easily to your conception.

A_w_e_s_o_m_e_

He seguido con entusiasmo el desarrollo de este plano, ahora podemos contemplarlo como un trabajo arduo para el disfrute del resto, no hay otra solución de la comunidad que decirte que has hecho un trabajo espectacular y que mereces Que muchos aviones de pago se ruborizan al ver este modelo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    The FSX native really comes alive especially with the shadows, although there is a funny shadow on the rudder at times. This is in FSX SP2 & more marked on the civil version.
    Keith
    Do Nigel's original FSX port-over versions (not the FSX native versions) cause this anomaly also ?

I will not be able to try the FSX native versions on my FSX SP2 system for another day, at least, as I'm away ATM.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Blog Entries
    He seguido con entusiasmo el desarrollo de este plano, ahora podemos contemplarlo como un trabajo arduo para el disfrute del resto, no hay otra solución de la comunidad que decirte que has hecho un trabajo espectacular y que mereces Que muchos aviones de pago se ruborizan al ver este modelo.
    As one who speaks both Spanish, French, and English natively, I thought I'd quickly translate these comments for the sake of both the SOH community in general, and Nigel in particular:

Having enthusiastically followed the development of this aircraft, this huge personal effort can now be enjoyed by the rest of us. The only real worthy response from this community is to express how spectacular a job you've done, and your work deserves recognition on par with payware models.

I certainly echo those comments, and affirm how much fun I've had and will continue to have with this. I might even get the seaplane models when they're done, even though I'm not inclined that way, as work this lovely deserves to be enjoyed.

Thanks again,

dl

Blog Entries
    As one who speaks both Spanish, French, and English natively, I thought I'd quickly translate these comments for the sake of both the SOH community in general, and Nigel in particular:

Having enthusiastically followed the development of this aircraft, this huge personal effort can now be enjoyed by the rest of us. The only real worthy response from this community is to express how spectacular a job you've done, and acknowledge your work deserves recognition on par with payware models.

I certainly echo those comments, and affirm how much fun I've had and will continue to have with this. I might even get the seaplane models when they're done, even though I'm not inclined that way, as work this lovely deserves to be enjoyed.

Thanks again,

dl

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Do Nigel's original FSX port-over versions (not the FSX native versions) cause this anomaly also ?

I will not be able to try the FSX native versions on my FSX SP2 system for another day, at least, as I'm away ATM.
    Just checked with the aerobatic team Tutor as a portover in FSX SP2 & no, the aircraft does not create shadows on itself although ticked in the options, it only appears to darken the sides away from the sun or have a reflection towards the sun. Shadows do appear on the ground. No indication of any anomaly on the rudder or fin when rotated horizontally.
    Keith

I Can't Get Started With You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAoTLJAHOk

I've tried every which way (including following the steps in the picture) but I can't start the Tutor without using CTRL+E.

I'm sure I must be missing something but I can't think what?????

The propeller cranks but the engine won't fire. Fuel is definitely on and mixture at 100%.

This is in FSX-SP II.

Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong?

A little granny egg sucking I know, but have you checked there is fuel in the tank? I've been caught out that way before now. Maybe the battery is off from a previous type with a key command allocated? Try starting with a different a/c and then changing to the Avro, closing down manually (switches, fuel, mags etc) and then following the starting procedure.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

SOH-CM-2023
    I just checked in SP2 - fuel on, primer (optional), LH Run Ignition switch mag tumblers to ON, RH Start mag tumbler ON, then hold mouse click on the handle so that it rotates fully when it should then fire. Switch start mag to OFF (optional).

Keith

You have to keep the left mouse button pressed on the starting handle until the engine fires it takes a few turns before the engine catches.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    A little granny egg sucking I know, but have you checked there is fuel in the tank? I've been caught out that way before now. Maybe the battery is off from a previous type with a key command allocated? Try starting with a different a/c and then changing to the Avro, closing down manually (switches, fuel, mags etc) and then following the starting procedure.
    Always ready for egg sucking lessons as too often I find I have hard boiled them first which doesn't help. The "battery off" thing was an initial thought but in the Avro it appears to be mapped to the starting magneto so it wasn't that.

HOWEVER, I did try starting another aircraft (the AH Bulldog), shutting that down and then switching to the Avro. Then it works! Many thanks for the thought. I'll shut the Avro down and save it in a flight as a starting point; that should fix it.

Thanks again for the assist.

[QUOTE = delta_lima; 1170928] Como alguien que habla espańol, francés e inglés de forma nativa, pensé que traduciría rápidamente estos comentarios por el bien de la comunidad SOH en general y de Nigel en particular:

Habiendo seguido con entusiasmo el desarrollo De este avión, este gran esfuerzo personal ahora puede ser disfrutado por el resto de nosotros. La única respuesta realmente valiosa de esta comunidad es expresar cuán espectacular ha sido el trabajo que ha realizado, y su trabajo merece un reconocimiento a la par con los modelos de software de pago.

Ciertamente me hago eco de esos comentarios y afirmo lo divertido que me he divertido y lo seguiré haciendo con esto. Puede que incluso obtenga los modelos de hidroaviones cuando estén listos, aunque no estoy inclinado de esa manera, ya que este trabajo merece ser disfrutado.

Gracias de nuevo,

dl [/ QUOTE]

I'm sorry I forgot to go through the translator, thanks for doing it for mebangheadbangheadbanghead
    I'm sorry I forgot to go through the translator, thanks for doing it for me

Just checked with the aerobatic team Tutor as a portover in FSX SP2 & no, the aircraft does not create shadows on itself although ticked in the options, it only appears to darken the sides away from the sun or have a reflection towards the sun. Shadows do appear on the ground. No indication of any anomaly on the rudder or fin when rotated horizontally.
    Keith
    Thanks for checking, Keith.

I think I have the 'aircraft casts shadows on itself' box unchecked in FSX, on a recommendation I found somewhere years ago, in one of those 'maximizing frame rates' threads. I have never revisited this setting since. I will check my setting when I get back, regardless, now that you've piqued my curiosity.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What has impressed me is the level of detail of the gmax model ( which he graciously sent me for my own use) - it has 60,000 plus polys & how it managed to compile (plus the animations) that lot I don't know - I usually am lucky to exceed 30,000 plus animations for each interior & exterior - & the detail of his textures & artistry - yes I know he is essentially an artist for want of a word I cannot remember:-( , but has shown what can be done if one is patient. May many more suns shine on this & future work.
    Beta testing is easy - very easy to find fault, not always easy to correct by the creator. Then there is the FDE - James has done a fantastic job & again criticism is very easy.
    In awe
    Keith
    Keith: Thank YOU my friend - I am hugely indebted to you for your gracious and ever methodical wisdom, Sir :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwillimas2 View Post
    Always ready for egg sucking lessons as too often I find I have hard boiled them first which doesn't help. The "battery off" thing was an initial thought but in the Avro it appears to be mapped to the starting magneto so it wasn't that.

HOWEVER, I did try starting another aircraft (the AH Bulldog), shutting that down and then switching to the Avro. Then it works! Many thanks for the thought. I'll shut the Avro down and save it in a flight as a starting point; that should fix it.

Thanks again for the assist.
    Hello John, forgetting to set 'RICH' mixture usually catches me out during manual start ups :-(

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Pere: I am deeply humbled by your most kind words, Sir! :-)

THANK YOU! :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

I use headphones and I love the way it coughs and splutters into life, great sounds Nigel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erican2 View Post
    I use headphones and I love the way it coughs and splutters into life, great sounds Nigel.
    Thanks Dave - headphones are my choice too, my friend :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Icon22 Reply...

Nigel and team,

Because I had done this for the Avro Tutor, I also tried as an experiment the same technique for the Avro 621 and 621 Trainer. As a test, I used the ClickTeam software to create auto-installers for the FSX port over and FS9 packages. These are a self-extracting .exe file that does the following.

FSX Avro 621 port-over: 160.03MB down to 76.4MB.
    FSX Avro 621 trainer port-over: 154.87MB down to 79.7MB.

FS 2004 Avro 621: 138.03MB down to 69.1MB.
    FS 2004 Avro 621 trainer: 129.83MB down to 72.8MB.

Would you like to test them to possibly replace the originals?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I just checked in SP2 - fuel on, primer (optional), LH Run Ignition switch mag tumblers to ON, RH Start mag tumbler ON, then hold mouse click on the handle so that it rotates fully when it should then fire. Switch start mag to OFF (optional).

Keith
    Keith - thanks for this but I have another small point : I can start quite happily now but if I do switch the start mag to off, I lose power to the oil pressure and engine temperature gauges (which I'm not sure would have been electrically driven anyway). As far as I can see the start magneto is mapped to CTRL-M (Master Battery) so that switching it off disconnects all power. I guess you just have to leave the start magneto on. (true for the Tutor as well...)

I had hopes that this beautiful bird would work in P3D 4.4. Unfortunately no. I installed it and the model doesnt show up.

Too bad. What marvelous work this one appears to be!

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I had hopes that this beautiful bird would work in P3D 4.4. Unfortunately no. I installed it and the model doesnt show up.

Too bad. What marvelous work this one appears to be!
    Try this, the great Ulrich made a great work adapting both models.

The FSX_native_AVRO_621_port_over.zip
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/89wao..._over.zip/file

The FSX_native_AVRO_621_Trainer_port_over.zip
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/prhth..._over.zip/file

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid View Post
    Try this, the great Ulrich made a great work adapting both models.

The FSX_native_AVRO_621_port_over.zip
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/89wao..._over.zip/file

The FSX_native_AVRO_621_Trainer_port_over.zip
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/prhth..._over.zip/file
    I agree - Ulrich most generously made excellent conversions for the 621 and 621 Trainer.

ejoiner: The AVRO series including the Tutor will eventially be released as FSX native packages, Sir.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwillimas2 View Post
    Keith - thanks for this but I have another small point : I can start quite happily now but if I do switch the start mag to off, I lose power to the oil pressure and engine temperature gauges (which I'm not sure would have been electrically driven anyway). As far as I can see the start magneto is mapped to CTRL-M (Master Battery) so that switching it off disconnects all power. I guess you just have to leave the start magneto on. (true for the Tutor as well...)
    A bit late in the day, but have just checked the latest Tutor release in my FSX SP2 for start procedure & found that turning the Start Mag Off does not disable the Oil temp or Oil pressure gauge, although it does enable the temp gauge from cold - curiouser & curiouser......may have been updated?
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 6