Real weather problem

Thread: Real weather problem

Real weather problem

I've noticed that I no longer get winds with any weather downloads. I do seem to get clouds and precipitation close to what is going on for an area but the winds never exceed 2-3 mph. I use the built in real weather but have used AS as well, both do the same thing. I don't know where to start looking for the issue.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    The same thing happens with FSX. I get "real world" weather for SE Michigan that at this time of year I know is wildly inaccurate.

I believe Microsoft's contract with Jeppesen has expired and they chose not to renew it since AFAIK they have dropped all other support for their FS products.

I tried downloading and installing a replacement but the setup process appears to be complex and time-consuming.

I use FSRealWX Lite. FSRealWX is also quite useful, and you don't NEED to pay for it. It's a lot like FSUIPC in that regard. You download the full version, and if you don't pay for it, you just have limited functionality. They both work great for applying real-world (where the heck is that place, anyway??) to the sim.
    And, speaking of FSUIPC, you do need it for FSRealWX to function. I have both the WX, and FSUIPC, and both are freeware versions, and both work just fine for my needs.

FSRealWX is quite easy to locate, download, and install. I recommend giving it a try, at least. MSFS's "real weather" hasn't worked right in years. It may ocaisionally be accurate, but even a broken clock is right twice a day, no? Of course, that's one of those old style, primitive, like your grandfather used, type of clocks. You know, with the hands that point at the numbers?

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind I may be getting back to you re: that setup procedure.

Lightbulb

Thanks for the info, I didn't know MS axed that expense. Must have been a huge savings. I looked around for the free lite version but got directed to the Pro trial version several times. Finally found the genuine free version and after some experimenting think I have it working. It seems I just enter the starting airport and away it goes. What I haven't determined yet is how it moves with the aircraft or if it does at all. I hope to find a way to have it auto start, connect and load. That might only work on the Pro version though.

Actually, you shouldn't start it until the aircraft is "in the world". IE: Once you've loaded you plane into the sim, whether on the runway, ready to fly or at the gate, cold-n-dark, or whatever, THEN start FSRealWX. It can take a minute or three, depending on how many airports are nearby, like with 150nmi or so. The more airports, the longer it takes to download all the weather info, at first. After that, it keeps up with no trouble.
    It receives it's location info from the sim, through FSUIPC, and keeps the weather IN the sim up-to-date through FSUIPC. It keeps up very nicely, even with a fast-mover, like an F-18 at Mach 1.05.
    Once it's loaded and operating, you can get the weather at most any airport by putting the ICAO ident (like KSFO, or whatever), into the little box, center-left area. Be aware though, that every time it get's updated, it switches the local weather info (lower left area) to the closest airport. To keep the weather info for the desired airport, just hit enter again, and it will go back to displaying the current METAR info for the selected airport.

To get it to operated fully automatically, you need to go to the options window, General tab, the box labeled Startup, and make sure Download WX is checked. I have NOAA selected as a Source, and all the boxes under the Downloads heading are checked. Under the Weather tab, make sure that the Set Global WX, and Set All WX Stations boxes are checked.
    Once it starts up, and begins downloading, just let it go. You will see the difference as soon as it puts the weather into the world. Once in a great while, it will lock up during the download process. Simply close it out, and start it back up, and it will function properly.

Make sure you reset your altimeter once the program is running completely

Good luck! I hope this helps...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks for the helpful info but I've yet to see any changes. I believe I have the correct version but when I hit Download WX there is a rapid display of text I see that appears to list over 100 errors though at the end it reads "Ready". I took a screenshot as the program was downloading weather and at that instant you can see it tallied 96 errors and counting. Is this evidence of the problem?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails realWX.png  

Well, I have an older version. V1.07.1522. It looks slightly different, but that shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to let you know.
    Have you tried selecting a different download location? NOAA, or whatever? Go to FSRealWX heading up near the top, select Options under it. On the General tab, I believe, upper left area, there should be a few download sites you can select. Select one, I use NOAA, and then try downloading the weather. See what happens.
    The SOH site won't let me upload images, ATM, but I will ASAP for you, showing exactly what I mean, if you're having trouble locating the setting I mean. I'll also see if I can download and install the newer version to see what's what, ok? The one I have has worked so well for me for so long I never bothered to check for updates.

Let me know how it goes for you...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I searched for your version and I was taken to a German FSWX site. There I downloaded what they offered as well as a "bridge" program. Turns out what they had was the Pro version which I installed and seems to actually work. For now I'll wait for the trial period to end and see how much it is to purchase. It's nice to have weather again

Spoke too soon, it crashes a few seconds after loading weather and I start moving.
    Last edited by aeromed202; January 18th, 2019 at 16:34.

The "trial period" never ends. If you don't pay, it just keeps on the same way as during the trial period.
    Was the failure you experienced a one time event? I've had it do the same thing, but I just do it again. I have experienced the failure more often in the Pro version. That's why I stick to the Lite version. I've been searching, but I don't think the version I have is available anyplace. Pity, it works so nicely...

By the way, I made a mistake. The available download sites can be selected under the Weather tab of the Options. If you constantly have trouble with what one site sends, try a different one. I use NOAA, like I said.

Read through the WIKI article on it. It's here: http://wiki.fsrealwx.net/doku.php?id...ealwx:settings
    A setting on your copy may be causing you trouble. Like I said, you can leave it unregistered, and it'll keep on working, just in a slightly limited fashion. Just like FSUIPC. I haven't paid for that since I found it many years ago. Yes, I AM a cheap SOB...

Don't be discouraged by a single failure. Try to get it to work a few times. Change the download site, and try it again. WHY it fails sometimes I have no idea. I'm going to download and install the latest Pro version, and see how it works. I'll get back to you with my impressions, if you desire.

You can still download the Lite version, believe it or not. Try this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An-nLd9p81L6qiAcub6kvgi2y-HZ
    Yes, that's version I use. Give it a try...
    Remember, never install anything to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86)! Avoid those two folders like they were a terrible hacker's folders. Stay away from them!

Hope something in here helps...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0