Ortho4XP

Thread: Ortho4XP

Ortho4XP

With all the airports I've done for FSX/P3D it seemed a shame that the process for doing the same in X-Plane was so different. The methodology bears no resemblance to the way it's done in FSX. I've shelved the idea of doing conversions for as many as possible and instead I'm reading up on adding Ortho-imagery to my Sim. Not a simple process for a beginner, but the end results are quite impressive.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a sampling for my immediate area of North Texas within a few days and if successful I'll move on to other areas of interest, like the Hawaiian Islands or the New England States (if those haven't already been done).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to it, Ed! I love your Texas sceneries...heck I even fly east cost sceneries of yours.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I have slowly been trying to come to grips with how scenery development is done in X-Plane. If you don't go the "Orthoimage" route, if you just do a few additions to a current airport it's relatively simple. However if you want to really improve an airport, what is referred to as a "2D" airport in X-Plane (an airport with nothing more than a runway and windsock), then you enter into an archaic methodology of various programs using command line statements to produce something that takes no time at all in FSX. All that lengthy process gets you is an orthoimage that can then be loaded into "WED" to begin designing the airport. I might eventually get somewhere with it, but at this point I'm more inclined to just download scenery and do a lot of flying, lol

Current System Specs:

Yea, well. . .they didn't like my critique (actually "bashing" was how it was described) of their antiquated system for doing scenery. I also don't have any desire to pursue their system any further so I'll be content to use freeware scenery when available or payware scenery if it's an area I would normally fly in. The Sim itself is exceptional and so X-Plane 11.26 and FSX are the only Sims installed now. An update is in the mix, but they seem to be having problems getting it ironed out so it's good that they haven't released it yet.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Since when are command line tools "antiquated"?
    I did DOS computing in 86' for several years until my boss finally figured out that computers had actually advanced from that point. If people find that invigorating, more power to em'. As far as I'm concerned, it's 2018. . .the only thing worse would be if they still used punch cards to compile bgl files.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yea, well. . .they didn't like my critique (actually "bashing" was how it was described) of their antiquated system for doing scenery. I also don't have any desire to pursue their system any further so I'll be content to use freeware scenery when available or payware scenery if it's an area I would normally fly in. The Sim itself is exceptional and so X-Plane 11.26 and FSX are the only Sims installed now. An update is in the mix, but they seem to be having problems getting it ironed out so it's good that they haven't released it yet.

Some useful info here from Bill Womack:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I did DOS computing in 86' for several years until my boss finally figured out that computers had actually advanced from that point. If people find that invigorating, more power to em'. As far as I'm concerned, it's 2018. . .the only thing worse would be if they still used punch cards to compile bgl files.
    But command line stuff can be easily automated with scripts. Heaven help if I had to click myself through a badly designed UI to repeat certain operations!

Members who have read this thread: 0