SSW skunkNET officially distributed for P3d v 4.2 or later - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Thread: SSW skunkNET officially distributed for P3d v 4.2 or later

  1. #26
    @SSW1- I just registered and will try and join when I receive my credentials. I was wondering, if one wanted to just fly, formations etc. (like the aerobatic groups in DCS) would that be possible? I am hoping to have a series of Antique Flights with other pilots, and would not be interested in using current/modern military aircraft, rather antique ones. Will there be an opportunity for this sort of flight?

    Thanks for creating and hosting this multi-player environment. It sounds as though it will work for group flightings quite well (if allowed).

    Best- Carl

  2. #27
    Carl, as far as I know, you can use the network for doing whatever you like.
    One you receive your credentials by email from SSW, and you manage to log in to the SSW SkunkNet client program, you will reach a list of available servers.
    The servers are almost always empty, so you can choose almost any of them for connecting with your friends.
    That's what I do with my friends: we're a group of three, we sometimes fly modern jets, sometimes GA aircrafts, sometimes helicopters etc.... Never had a problem, as long as everybody had the same exact planes in their hangars.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    @SSW1- I just registered and will try and join when I receive my credentials. I was wondering, if one wanted to just fly, formations etc. (like the aerobatic groups in DCS) would that be possible? I am hoping to have a series of Antique Flights with other pilots, and would not be interested in using current/modern military aircraft, rather antique ones. Will there be an opportunity for this sort of flight?

    Thanks for creating and hosting this multi-player environment. It sounds as though it will work for group flightings quite well (if allowed).

    Best- Carl
    I quote what Daube said, once connected you may want do whatever you want, since there are 3 lobby in free access is easy find at least one empty. VAAFSE lobby needs password.
    How skunkNET manage models not shared by all players is explained in detail in skunkNET docs.
    cheers
    /SSW
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

  4. #29
    Just got my details Thanks! Will check it out tonight

  5. #30
    One question: Do you guys confirm that UBUNTU models should be used when flying online with Skunknet ?
    Tonight, we used Skunknet with a friend for a small multiplayer flight. It was working perfectly, we were using Dino's Tomcat.

    Then, we wanted to switch to the SSW Tornado. We both selected one of the UBUNTU models. It seemed to be working, but after a few seconds, my simulator crashed. His sim crashed as well.
    What did I do wrong ?
    I have used the Tornado solo a few times already, for 30 minutes flights in solo. It never crashed my computer until today :/

  6. #31
    Just some news about my problem above: it appears it's linked to an activation problem.
    The Harrier is also pausing the sim now, and the Tornado crashes the sim also in solo mode.
    They were both working well just a few weeks ago :/

    Anyways, it's not related to Skunknet at all, and I'll have to contact SSW support to solve this, I guess.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Just some news about my problem above: it appears it's linked to an activation problem.
    The Harrier is also pausing the sim now, and the Tornado crashes the sim also in solo mode.
    They were both working well just a few weeks ago :/

    Anyways, it's not related to Skunknet at all, and I'll have to contact SSW support to solve this, I guess.
    Suspect is not a crash but a silent sim close, answer is on SSW site help desk FAQ
    /SSW
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

  8. #33
    Thanks for replying, but in the meanwhile I managed to solve the problem.
    For some reason, my SSW planes got "unregistered" for no reason.
    I had to reinstall them and trigger an activation request again. After I received the emails from SSW with the new activation keys, I could reactivate my planes and all problems were gone.
    I'd like to know why I had to reactivate though. They were activated already, and working just fine, until that problem occured.
    Maybe because of some Windows Update ?

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Thanks for replying, but in the meanwhile I managed to solve the problem.
    For some reason, my SSW planes got "unregistered" for no reason.
    I had to reinstall them and trigger an activation request again. After I received the emails from SSW with the new activation keys, I could reactivate my planes and all problems were gone.
    I'd like to know why I had to reactivate though. They were activated already, and working just fine, until that problem occured.
    Maybe because of some Windows Update ?
    Hi,
    most probably it was not "unregistered", but key just got invalid, it is a rare case but win uodate can do this.
    In this case yo do not need to reinstall, just follow below procedure:


    1. Major hardware and/or software changes can cause the activation key to become invalid.
    2. In such cases, please send the latest registration file generated to info@simskunkworks.com specifying what hardware/software changes you have done so we can provide you with a new key

    3. Registration files (those beginning with sswks. and ending with .ssw) are generated each time you load the airplane and can be found on the sim (either FSX or P3D) main folder.
    4. We will send you a zipped registration key with nstructions to activate.
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

  10. #35

    Unhappy SkunkNET

    Good afternoon,

    I thought I would bump this topic, until recently myself and a couple of friends had been using SkunkNET with fantastic results almost every night since it became available, unfortunately for approximately a week none of us have been able to log on to fly together, we have also not been able to contact SimSkunk works through the forum, has anyone else lost the ability to use this fantastically smooth flight server? Has it gone?

    A great community product lost if it no longer exists

    Thanks in advance,

    Guy.

  11. #36

    Update

    Good afternoon fellow virtual pilots,

    just a short up-date, the multiplayer server SkunkNet I posted about above is back online I must just add, a small number of us use this to fly multiplayer most nights of the week, if you are into formation/precision flying I doubt you would find a better server, very very smooth with no skips or lag, I suppose the only drawback is that you need P3Dv4.2 and above, it's a shame that it appears to be under used.

    Guy.

  12. #37
    When you say you are on line most nights, what time zone and aprox what time do you mean?
    Thanks

  13. #38
    I also agree that Skunknet is the best multiplayer module I've tried so far, and the ONLY one providing smooth flight.
    There is a tiny bit of lag though, resulting in the other players appearing just a few meters behind their actual position, but we can live with that.
    Flight movements are ultra smooth.

    The only problem is that it will not allow substitution. So as long as everybody flies with planes you own, it's fine. But it would be great to be able to substitute planes you don't own with freewares... For example, I own the Milviz Phantom, by team mates do not. I wish they could use the freeware Alphasim model to visualize me in their sim...

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I also agree that Skunknet is the best multiplayer module I've tried so far, and the ONLY one providing smooth flight.
    There is a tiny bit of lag though, resulting in the other players appearing just a few meters behind their actual position, but we can live with that.
    Flight movements are ultra smooth...
    You must not fly formation much then. That would be a nightmare to try and fly fingertip with. Multiplayer requires locked FPS at 30 in game. Then the jitters and sliding aircraft movement disappear. If you're flying formation, you just can't have lag. Period.
    Commercial AS/MEL & Instrument
    Certified Airplane Nut

  15. #40
    We fly only in formations, although we are complete amateurs and we mainly fly for fun and pleasure, not for efficiency.
    We're not trying to compete with the Blue Angels or the Patrouille de France

    Finally, 30 FPS lock is totally out of scope, because we fly in VR.
    Skunknet is smooth even with unlocked FPS.
    And even with locked FPS, in normal screen mode, the position lag still exists, may it be with JoinFS, FFS2Play or Skunknet. I have yet to see any exception. It's surely due to our bad/slow internet connection.

  16. #41
    If you're flying formation than it must pretty loose formations. There's no way you can be doing close in formations with that much lag. Either way, if you're not running 30 FPS locked you get micro stutters on the aircraft. It's an old FSX carry over. So, if you want smooth flight, it sounds like LM needs to improve the native VR Multiplayer code and/or the lag isn't as bad as you've described.
    Commercial AS/MEL & Instrument
    Certified Airplane Nut

  17. #42
    With Skunknet you get almost no stutters at all for the other aircraft, even when you're using the unlimited FPS.
    At least not in P3Dv4.

    As for the lag, the plane appear something like 5 meters up to one plane-length behind its actual position.
    Last time we tested, my brother and I were flying Tomcats at approx 300 knots. He brought his tomcat wingtip next to my wingtip (two-three meter away or so) according to him, but from my side, it was his aircraft nose which was in that longitudinal position.

    So as I told you, we're not flying as tight as real spectacle formation. However, we can still stay in a reasonable range, which is fine enough for us.
    My joystick will not allow a precise-enough piloting anyways (Sidewinder FFB2, with electrical supply disabled, so no center anymore), and I don't plan to replace it.
    Locking at 30 FPS might be good for you because you fly on a screen. For us, this is not acceptable anymore.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    With Skunknet you get almost no stutters at all for the other aircraft, even when you're using the unlimited FPS.
    At least not in P3Dv4.

    As for the lag, the plane appear something like 5 meters up to one plane-length behind its actual position.
    Last time we tested, my brother and I were flying Tomcats at approx 300 knots. He brought his tomcat wingtip next to my wingtip (two-three meter away or so) according to him, but from my side, it was his aircraft nose which was in that longitudinal position.

    So as I told you, we're not flying as tight as real spectacle formation. However, we can still stay in a reasonable range, which is fine enough for us.
    My joystick will not allow a precise-enough piloting anyways (Sidewinder FFB2, with electrical supply disabled, so no center anymore), and I don't plan to replace it.
    Locking at 30 FPS might be good for you because you fly on a screen. For us, this is not acceptable anymore.
    Just curious why you don't plan on replacing your joystick but you bought VR? Copy all on your specific situation. Yup sounds like for your flying it's working great.
    Commercial AS/MEL & Instrument
    Certified Airplane Nut

  19. #44
    Because my joystick works good enough for my usage, and a VR helmet is just so much more valuable than a better joystick.
    Also I tested an X52 but my desk table just doesn't have enough space to use it comfortably.

  20. #45

  21. #46
    At the risk of derailing the thread, I bought a Foxx mount for a TM Warthog, and I've been seriously impressed with the product.

    It's not exactly cheap (although it was less expensive than the MonsterTech mounts since I'm in the US), but the support is excellent (I was asked to send a photo of my desk top to make sure the mount would work before I placed the order), and the build quality is excellent.

    The Warthog is some stupidly heavy hardware (the throttles are almost 9lbs, and the stick is about 5), and the mounts attach them to my desk so that they don't move at all, but the mounts can be installed or removed in about 10 seconds once you get them set up to fit the desk.

  22. #47
    Is skunkNET still available, working?

    We have a few members who fly together but only one of us (the one least online ) can host a P3d server that we can join so this would be perfect for us to use
    Usually found in Sony Vegas creating the next FS Video and occasionally repainting for movie purposes

    http://www.youtube.com/user/UKVoodooUK

    Spring chicken to s***ehawk in one easy lesson

    daga daga daga daga daga daga daga daga

  23. #48

    SkunkNet

    Quote Originally Posted by UKVoodoo View Post
    Is skunkNET still available, working?

    We have a few members who fly together but only one of us (the one least online ) can host a P3d server that we can join so this would be perfect for us to use


    Good afternoon UKVoodoo,

    yes still up and running and as smooooth as ever, 3 of us used it last night, best server out there

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by guyneild View Post
    Good afternoon UKVoodoo,

    yes still up and running and as smooooth as ever, 3 of us used it last night, best server out there
    Cant get an account activated on forums to try it out or find any information on it anymore explaining things
    Usually found in Sony Vegas creating the next FS Video and occasionally repainting for movie purposes

    http://www.youtube.com/user/UKVoodooUK

    Spring chicken to s***ehawk in one easy lesson

    daga daga daga daga daga daga daga daga

Members who have read this thread: 7

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •