Area 51 B-2 Spirit in P3DV4

Thread: Area 51 B-2 Spirit in P3DV4

Area 51 B-2 Spirit in P3DV4

FSPilotShop has the Area 51 B-2 for only $10.18 USD. It was not designed for P3D, but looks pretty good in it. No problems found so far. But documentation seems to be lacking (as far as I could find out).

There are some panels showing open on take off in a couple YouTube videos, but I have not been able to find out what the panels are, or how to control them. Any help? Please forgive the low quality of the Youtube captured screenshots. The in-sim screenshots are more clear. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-2b.jpg   b-2.jpg  

In simulation. P3DV4.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-2 screenshot2.jpg   B-2 screenshot.jpg  

So who just flew over the "Rose Bowl" in one? Look like aux intake doors, but not idea how to control them, cowl flaps maybe?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

The open panels I believe are alternative engine intakes that are open on ground operations and take off. The F-22 has similar veined intakes on top of the aircraft. Probably for FOD avoidance or for high angles of attack to prevent compressor stalls by wing covering up the standard intakes. (most likely 2nd one given positioning of the engine intakes on top of the wing of the B-2. )

Their auxiliary inlets for operation at low speeds. Jet intakes are designed for their optimum/ or maximum flow rate while in flight. Before stealth aircraft and their fixed inlets, aircraft had variable inlets which could change their capture area based on their airspeed. Stealth aircraft get around this by having auxiliary inlets to increase capture area at low speeds. The Harrier also has all of those little suck in doors behind the inlet lip for the same reason.

Even older example: The Israeli Kfir, which is essentially a Mirage with a J-79 engine in it, has the aux intake doors. It ALSO has the variable intake cone, so it has the best of both worlds. Goes like a bat-outta-Yuma, too. I think a pilot told me they landed about 200 Kts. Fast fast.
    I worked on them at VMFAT-401, in MCAS Yuma, back in 87 & 88. I still have my Plank Holder plaque on the I-love-me-wall

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Even older example: The Israeli Kfir, which is essentially a Mirage with a J-79 engine in it, has the aux intake doors. It ALSO has the variable intake cone, so it has the best of both worlds. Goes like a bat-outta-Yuma, too. I think a pilot told me they landed about 200 Kts. Fast fast.
    I worked on them at VMFAT-401, in MCAS Yuma, back in 87 & 88. I still have my Plank Holder plaque on the I-love-me-wall

Pat☺
    Don't you mean the F-21? I always liked those. I wish we had one of those, KFir C.2 / F-21 with the fixed canards, for P3D. We had that great Mirage III (Skysim?) from FSX and the developer, IIRC was working on a Kfir for the update that never happened. I don't think we can get Resterauravia to do it, since it's basically an "Americanized" Mirage.

I've had success installing the Area 51 C-17 in P3Dv4, so I went on over to FSPilotShop and picked up the B-2. Thanks for the tip Chief. The C-17 is also available for the same low price, so for those that want a pretty good, inexpensive military heavy lifter...there you are!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Thanks all, for the information. However, I still cannot locate in the VC, or drop down menus, where/how to control those doors. NC

I do not remember, maybe activated with the flaps?

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Or could it be an automatic animation, triggered by low airspeed, but controlled by a 32 bit .dll, or maybe using an FSX specific path code,
    that won't work in P3Dv4? I'm not certain how you would be able to tell that though.

-RobM

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks all, for the information. However, I still cannot locate in the VC, or drop down menus, where/how to control those doors. NC
    I don't know about how they're controlled "in the sim", and I know less than nothing about the real B2, BUT: It seems to me those aux doors are probably controlled either by the FCS, or the ECU. I'm sure there are very specific conditions to actuate them. Airspeed, altitude, aoa, etc, etc. They would probably be like the intake cones on the older planes. All fully automatic, although in the Kfir the pilot had a manual cone control, in/out, in the cockpit. A switch he could use to extend/retract them, under certain, specific, conditions, if the automated system were to fail.
    Knowing the automation of the B-2, I'd wager that there's either a small switch, open/closed, hidden someplace in the cockpit, or they don't have a manual control at all. Automation has it's bonuses, but also drawbacks. It may be that if there were enough failures that the aux doors won't work automatically, the pilots would be getting close to jettisoning the aircraft. Not worried about the aux doors, but more like whether they were in the ejection envelope.
    Obviously, on the ground, who cares. Taxi back to parking and shut down if they don't work, fill out a MAF, and go get a beer. In the air, either they never actuate other than to close after take off, or if they fail to retract, dump fuel and try to come back to land. Failing that, well, welcome to the MB club...

All just an opinion, though...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I just re-installed the B-2 into P3D V4, I have by default mapped my inlets to F8 “Flaps (extend fully). Try that.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Members who have read this thread: 0