Coming soon: GCA for C-47V3

Thread: Coming soon: GCA for C-47V3

Coming soon: GCA for C-47V3

Drop-in GCA add-on for Manfred Jahn's C-47 V3 coming soon. Adaptable to other aircraft with some fiddling. Works in FSX and P3D.

Approach Controller provides vectors to PAR intercept, GCA Final Controller talks you down to the runway threshold.

No, we don't know when it will be released, but "real soon now"... IOW, when it's done. Clips in video were recorded live.

A short history of the 'blind landing' systems is available as PDF here

Last edited by tailspin45; December 21st, 2018 at 11:31.

That's so cool! Can't wait to try this.

Love the creativity of this community.

Very cool, and cracking video!

Looking forward to it.

That brings back memories. Some that made you clench your 'pucker'.
    Can't wait to relive some of them.

Back in the 1970s, when I would get back seat rides at Patuxent River, I remember listening to the pilot communicating with ATC for GCA's. It was so cool, hearing the air traffic controller's instructions to the pilot, and then feel the aircraft turn, descend...etc... NC

Excellent! I've been wanting something like this for ages!

It would be good to be able to use it with other aircraft too please, as I'd like to give GCA talk down a go with both classic fast jets and helicopters.

BTW, I've been wanting to model Gilfillan Bros. CPN-4 and MPN-11 for a while now, but haven't located any blueprints. Do you know of any? With them done I'd be much closer to finishing some long-time scenery projects I've had on the boil for longer than I care to admit!

Many thanks

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Excellent! I've been wanting something like this for ages!
    BTW, I've been wanting to model Gilfillan Bros. CPN-4 and MPN-11 for a while now, but haven't located any blueprints. Do you know of any?
    I found a number of good pictures while writing the history of GCA, but no blueprints.

Experience to date says the add-on should be able to work with other aircraft. Just shot a climb power approach, with gear and flaps up, which gave me a 170 knots IAS on the glideslope and it handled it fine. So it should work great in the vintage jets. I'm guessing any aircraft that uses the plain vanilla FSX/P#D autopilot can be made to work, but probably not the PMDG and A2A birds with external processes handling the autopilot. It'll be fun to work on it together and find out.

Not even ITT could (would?) help me with CPN/MPN drawings! No joy with the likes of USAFM, RAFM, FAAM etc.

When is your book due to be published?

Regarding your add-on, might we have voices in different languages and accents please?

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    I found a number of good pictures while writing the history of GCA, but no blueprints.

Experience to date says the add-on should be able to work with other aircraft. Just shot a climb power approach, with gear and flaps up, which gave me a 170 knots IAS on the glideslope and it handled it fine. So it should work great in the vintage jets. I'm guessing any aircraft that uses the plain vanilla FSX/P#D autopilot can be made to work, but probably not the PMDG and A2A birds with external processes handling the autopilot. It'll be fun to work on it together and find out.
    Quite possibly I can acquire some information from you at the Navy's Air Traffic Control School, here in Pensacola. Let me know, and I will try. They are closed, am sure, until after New Year's Day, but I will gladly make a trip. Less than a hour from my house. NC

A short video of GCA

A quick and dirty video that will give you a better idea how Manfred's GCA add-on works. Looking like mid-January now, because of holidays.

The final controller, you'll note, wasn't giving heading calls when no change was required (he should have been, and will.) Still working on terminology.

This is an approach in to 9100' Telluride Colorado with 300' and 1/2 . If you've ever flown in there you'll recognize the cliff.

Nice speeches of co pilot also! Are they part of this extension?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Quite possibly I can acquire some information from you at the Navy's Air Traffic Control School, here in Pensacola. Let me know, and I will try. They are closed, am sure, until after New Year's Day, but I will gladly make a trip. Less than a hour from my house. NC
    Many thanks for the offer! I've sent you a PM... hopefully it arrived???

Andy
    Last edited by spatialpro; January 2nd, 2019 at 04:04.

Really looking forward to this GCA addon!

Just asking again if Manfred is likely to include voices in different accents (I'd volunteer to do British ones!) and perhaps even different languages?

Also, is it possible to adjust the angle of the glidepath (e.g. for approaches with steeper terrain)?

One day a version capable of complex approaches (i.e. non straight-in approaches) would be fabulous!

Andy

Any updates on this fascinating project?

Best regards,

Seawing

GCA in P3D KC-130H

P3D V4.3 default KC-130H with new generic GCA add-on that you can add to most aircraft - coming soon!

RVR1000 at KNZY

https://youtu.be/fiZQuEb3F-Q

Thanks to all involved for this incredible add on.
    Really enjoying the challenge of mastering a GCA!

Cheers, Bernard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C-47GCA.jpg  
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Members who have read this thread: 0