Updating my Flightsim Rig

Thread: Updating my Flightsim Rig

Icon15 Updating my Flightsim Rig

I received my year-end bonus last week, so I decided to upgrade my flightsim computer.
    It has been really slow this last year, and could only run on the lowest settings for P3Dv4.
    I purchased, and replaced the CPU, motherboard, memory, and GPU.

I went with the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, 8 core, 16 thread, 3.7GHz base, OC MAX 4.3GHz.

For the Motherboard I got the ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO Gamer AM4 socket, Intel X370 controller, DDR4 Support, TPU, EPU, DIGI+VRM, M.2, USB3.1, SATA6G, GB LAN, UEFI BIOS, FAN XPERT 4.

GPU is XLR8 GAMING GEFORCE RTX 2070, 8GB DDR6, RAY TRACING, ANSEL, DIRECTX12, OVERCLOCKED,4K, VR READY

Memory: Corsair DDR4 4x8GB (32GB) 3000MHz

I also took the plunge and bought an Oculus Rift.

The rest of what is my old rig is shown in my SIG.

I got it all installed, and fired up, without much problem, once I figured out which of my 5 SSDs is my C: drive. (The BIOS used different numbers/nomenclature than the previous MB.) (I know enough electronics to get into, and out of, trouble, but I am no programmer, so new stuff takes me a little while.) Downloaded, and installed all the latest drivers, but may need to update the BIOS. My front panel sound plugs, (headphone and mic,) are not working. They did before the change over.

My WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 activated with no problem, once I told it I had done the hardware upgrades, but that it was still the same hard disk and mainframe.

Haven't reinstalled P3Dv4.4 yet, nor opened the Oculus box. I have the next week and a half off, so should have time to work on it. Looking forward to being able to enjoy flying again.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Looks like a great system, enjoy.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I have a similar system. You’ll love the frame rates!

Thanks Joe and Bob. Looking forward to being able to use newer aircraft and scenery without everything turning into a slideshow. When I built the rig I'm redoing, it was near top line, but now is barely more than a paperweight. Still getting things setup. Getting ready to fire up P3D soon.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

You will love the Oculus, I only have a DK2 from the Dev Kit days but still think its a game changer... (pardon the pun!).

Congrats on treating yourself after a years hard work and well earned bonus I am sure.

Cheers,

Sketchy

Have only had time to get a few quick flights in, but already I can tell the difference. In flying over KSAN by ORBX I was getting 5-15 FPS, when everything turned way down, and flying the stock Mooney. Now I get over 125 FPS, with the default settings, and still over 100 FPS with some stuff turned up. More experimenting when I get some time. Haven't tried the Oculus, yet. Only 1 HDMI output, so had to buy a splitter. After Christmas I'll have a couple days free to do some simming.

Need to update my signature.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Members who have read this thread: 0