SimMarket MP S-55 info needed, if possible

Thread: SimMarket MP S-55 info needed, if possible

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

SimMarket MP S-55 info needed, if possible

I can not recall if anyone here has purchased the SimMarket MP S-55 but if they have I have a few questions about it.

I gave the description of the aircraft at the site's homepage for it as thorough a read as the info on the helicopter allowed. It sounds like a workmanlike production and I'm considering including it in the FSX helicopter hangar; I'm wondering if MP has released any updates for it, and what is the availability of repaints for it, what the flight model is like (heavy on the controls/skittish), etc. Has anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-sikorsky-s-55

There is no paint kit, so no repaints however that may change shortly as they have plans to update it (only thing they are posting thus far is Belgian paint and a paint kit)

the package is lacking several fsx features like bump and decent spec mapping and the alpha shine is over done and to me its like a fs9 model thats been ported over compared to other fsx native helicopter releases, the asking price is somewhat high for the incomplete/lacking feeling i get with it

however others like it

see what happens post update, they may fix the shortfalls

I have bought that helicopter and I'm quite happy about it, but it has indeed a few problems.

On the graphical side, the textures are FS9-ish for now, that's a fact. In the cockpit, some elements are so plain-colored that it looks like they are not textured yet. They are, but the textures definitely need improvements. The 3D modelisation is quite nice though, it's really just the textures, and eventually a few materials, that need to be improved to bring this copter up to modern graphic standards.

On the flight model side, a few tweaks would be needed as well. Some effects like transition lift (not sure about the name, the fact that the lift increases when you start to get some forward speed) is very exaggerated, for example. But the flight model still feels consistant, if that means anything. Let's say, believable and interesting. I like that copter a lot and use it on a regular basis.

This addon simulates the piston engine and the rotor clutch. You need to increase the RPMs in order to be able to engage the rotor without stalling the engine.
    A few other physical effects are simulated too, like the vortex ring state for example.
    Overall I'm satisfied by this addon but I'm really waiting for an update for texture and flight tuning.

Concur with above

Saying all that it was their 3rd release for this young team

It still has a bit way to go to equal veteran helo developers

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I'm visiting the site for a final check but based on comments, and lack of an S-55 for FSX, will more than likely pick it up.

Wonder when anyone will be doing a Seahorse for FSX?

Well, on the freeware side, there is the Alphasim former-payware S-55 which is also available in native FSX format. You might want to check it out prior to buying the MP one.
    There is a payware Seahorse by Dirk Stuck, but I have never tried it, and found little to no feedback at all about it :/

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Taube, how do we find that Seahorse by Mr. Stuck?

Well... it seems the model, which was sold on Simmarket, has disappeared from the radars... I can't find it any longer :/ Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Well... it seems the model, which was sold on Simmarket, has disappeared from the radars... I can't find it any longer :/ Sorry about that
    Im not surprised It did cop a huge amount of flak on hovercontrol due to most freeware having better quality

between that and the s55 i would go the s55

If dirks no longer selling it and its former payware i can try
    and track down my copy

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Daube, thanks for the effort. Much appreciated.

Matt - I noted Daube's earlier reply, took a look at that video. I think the sound can be improved somewhat with the S-58 by grafting in a sound file from another helicopter, so that's not really an issue. Based on the video I believe your assessment to be correct, it's at about the level of a fair freeware product and as such it would have to do until a better product comes down the pike - as the sailors say, "Any old port in a storm."

I looked at Avsim, PCAviator, FSPilotShop, plus did generalized searches on the web using "S-58," "Seahorse," and Dirk's first, last, and both names and in no case did I find any evidence of this thing still being on the market. If you could scan your former payware that would be greatly appreciated. Please be assured I'm not looking to do anything improper and if that request is a no-no I apologize in advance for doing anything gauche.

I wish I could do something for you in return but you are light-years beyond where I am in this pastime and as such I'll have to owe you.

Members who have read this thread: 0