JF AH Birdcage Corsair transparency issue

Thread: JF AH Birdcage Corsair transparency issue

JF AH Birdcage Corsair transparency issue

Perhaps not the place to ask, but wanted a fairly quick answer before purchase. No windows showing looking at the tail plane area either side. Demo is not almost over, only 2 minutes in to the demo. Hopefully, someone that owns the full meal deal can check their windows and comment.

Thank you...

https://imgur.com/a/CocFm9a

Don't know what windows around the tailplane area you are referring to, but I just checked mine (After having it for quite some time!) and I did notice there are no windows over the scallops behind the canopy. (I had never noticed as I fly almost exclusively from the VC with tower view on my second screen.) I wouldn't let it stop you from getting it as it is rather nice (and I believe JF has a sale going now.) Just wish I could find a clean "restored warbird" skin for it.

There was no glazing in the rear view scallops on a Birdcage. Glazing was added much later when the bubble canopy versions began appearing.

I think I see what you are talking about. Aft of the canopy, there appears to be no glazing over the rear view scallop cut. On real F4U-1's, there was glazing over the cutout and in combat units, damaged glazing was often replaced with sheet aluminum. Looks like the glazing was not modeled in JF's F4U-1 virtual cockpit.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    There was no glazing in the rear view scallops on a Birdcage. Glazing was added much later when the bubble canopy versions began appearing.
    Really? They were just open? I suppose they would work like the c-pillar vents on your car that way, helping to ventilate the cockpit (not to mention how difficult it would be to clean the inside surface of a window that was there). Learn something new every day!
    Last edited by Josh Patterson; December 15th, 2018 at 05:27.

feedback

Just Flight has responded about some other planes I'm interested in.

BoB Hurricane - more consistent all around
    BoB Me109 - not as consistent but harder to explain the visual
    P47 Thunderbolt- more consistent all around
    Flight Replica CAC Boomerang - missing glazing I guess in the same area
    Typhoon - no answer

I certainly could understand the real world reasoning, but sitting at my computer I don't want to look at something like that as I'm constantly panning and sight-seeing.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Hopefully before any false information spreads any further...the F4U-1 (birdcage variant) did have glass over the scallops behind the canopy. Also, when the blown/"bubble" canopy was introduced, such as on the F4U-1A, the scallops were done away with.

As far as I understand it, the Birdcage had a vertical "filler" perspex between the canopy and the leading edge of the scallop but no panel over the scallop. If anybody can show me original photographs, with the scallop glazed, I will see about adding it.

As far as I understand it, the Birdcage had a vertical "filler" perspex between the canopy and the leading edge of the scallop but no panel over the scallop. If anybody can show me original photographs, with the scallop glazed, I will see about adding it.
    You can see the glint on the perspex continuing on to the scallop just like on the canopy in this shot:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gall...air-in-flight/

Forget it, I've found one. I will add the glazing when I have a bit of time. The vertical panel I was thinking of was actually an armour plate filler added. BTW, it was the priginal pre-production F4U that had no glazing there. That is where my error comes from.

Forget it, I've found one. I will add the glazing when I have a bit of time. The vertical panel I was thinking of was actually an armour plate filler added. BTW, it was the priginal pre-production F4U that had no glazing there. That is where my error comes from.
    There was also a low drag straight winged version and a two place trainer version. But those were never built.

Well, we're all wrong. It's not April fool's is it? I've just checked the model and I did put the glazing in. You just need the right angle to see it. The glass will not show as well as the canopy because there is no dark areas beneath it. The scallop is fuselage colour, If it were black or something, the oval glazing would show up a lot clearer. So there we are. I obviously need to start trusting my memory better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CorsairGlazing.jpg  

One from a Kiwi bird..

ZK-FUI (as NZ2501)

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/pages/annf4u17.html

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I may have been wrong about the glass, but I'm not wrong about the issue.

Looking forward, back to front, from an outside lower view directly behind the canopy, one can see a distinct separation of canopy and fuselage (or scallop if that's what it is) on both sides of the airplane. There's nothing there. The canopy glass does not join completely with the fuselage, or scallop in that specific area. It looks like that separation is magnified when looking back at the rear of the plane from inside the cockpit.

I assume the Flight Replica Boomerang is displaying the same issue to a lesser degree.

I am assuming that you do not have the model. Why not get it and if you are not satisfied, simply ask for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
    I may have been wrong about the glass, but I'm not wrong about the issue.

Looking forward, back to front, from an outside lower view directly behind the canopy, one can see a distinct separation of canopy and fuselage (or scallop if that's what it is) on both sides of the airplane. There's nothing there. The canopy glass does not join completely with the fuselage, or scallop in that specific area. It looks like that separation is magnified when looking back at the rear of the plane from inside the cockpit.

I assume the Flight Replica Boomerang is displaying the same issue to a lesser degree.
    I have the feeling we have just entered a complete new era of rivet counting . You state you may have been wrong about the glass, but not about the issue. I was under the impression the glass, or more specific the lack of transparency, was the issue. So I'm completely puzzled and can't figger out what the other issue is, you weren't wrong about. You tell us you see the issue when you look backwards inside a VC from a model you don't have. Now that's definitely confusing!

But the assumption that the Flight Replica Boomerang is displaying the same issue, really knocked me off my chair. Aeroplane Heaven and Flight Replica are two completely different developers. The first comes from the land down under and the other one comes from the land of the Maple Leaf. Do you think there is some sort of international conspiracy here?

For me this thread was a very good reason to fly the Boomerang again, as it had been in the hangar for far too long. The Boomerang has a frame at the front end of the windows behind the cockpit and I can assure you that this frame joins the frame of the cockpit without any gaps.

Cheers,
    Huub

Somehow I knew it was going to be a mistake looking for a fix with other adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
    Somehow I knew it was going to be a mistake looking for a fix with other adults.
    Part of interacting with "other adults" involves not getting snarky when the responses are not to your liking. There's glass in the AH F4U's scallop windows, and there's glass in the FR Boomerang's scallop windows (see pic). Assuming we're good to go here, may I say the Birdcage F4U is a very nice aircraft and you will not be disappointed if you decide to purchase it. Same with the FR Boomerang.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR_Boomerang_Glass.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0