Flightsim - be careful

Thread: Flightsim - be careful

Flightsim - be careful

Twice today I have found myself browsing Flightsim's new downloads section , and twice my browser was hijacked and started opening to totally unrelated sites (had not clicked on anything).

Didn't hang around long enough to find out what they were about, just got out as quickly as possible.

I was able to return, and things seemed okay. but take care if you're planning on going to Flightsim.

Gary.

I was just over at Flightsim, and didn't have any issues. I'm a "First Class Member" there and I usually log in right when the home page pops up. However, I have had numerous nasty little malware bugs intercepted and quarantined when over at Simviation. It's too bad because I like that site a lot, but I have since curtailed my visits. Tis' the season, I reckon.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thanks for the info.
    I really hate these kinds of ads which completely hijack your navigation.
    The adblockers plugins greatly help to avoid these problems on PC navigators, but when you browse using a tablet or a phone, you have no chance to escape from these nasty things

I have no trouble with Flightsim.
    You mention new downloads section.
    All I can see is the old one they have had
    for a long time.
    I have not got any nasty things.

I am a full paid member and have an add blocker.

Anthin.

Strange you are getting problems
    at Simv.I have been a member for
    eight years with no problems.
    Maybe post there and let Pete know.

Antthin.

Strange? I've been visiting regularely AvSim, FlightSim, SimViation,... among other well known FS sites since 2005 and never such behaviour of the browser (Firefox/Waterfox). Perhaps it is something on your own computers?

In my experience if something open it by itself from your browser it could be hijack stuff, malware things so the best way is you need to do check with anti malware software in safe mode first. Try to see your cpu load in process and your pc temperature while sometimes this things is heating up your hardware too! don't underestimate it, i've seen kind of this hijack or malware stuff which making my laptop motherboard temperature raise from 42 to 98 making my laptop to shutdown because of too heat! but after my anti malware found and remove those bad things, the temperature start becoming normal and also my browser runs very well like no more automatic open to another web and much faster.
    I would recommend malwarebytes or rogue killer for this task.

I was there a couple of days ago looking for some O-2 paints and got a couple of bad links on trying to download, but that's about it. Usually the only problem I have there is the really slow download time (not a paid member).
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

No problems for me either. I visit their site every day or two and sometimes using two computers with different operating systems.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It seelemed to be a very temporary glitch - I've not re-encountered the problem since posting about it.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    Strange you are getting problems
    at Simv.I have been a member for
    eight years with no problems.
    Maybe post there and let Pete know.

Antthin.
    The last time I notified SimV of malware on their site they didn't care and didn't remove it.

It was several years ago (at least.) I happened to slide my mouse over an ad and my security suite went nuts. Mousing over the ad (not clicking onit, just having the mouse pass over it) triggered a "drive-by" download of a very nasty piece of malware that included a key logger and a Trojan to report the results back to the "malfolks." I immediately notified SimV and they did nothing. For an entire month they let that ad run, and every time I visited SimV that same ad tried to infect my computer and everyone else's who visited SimV that month.

Hard to imagine that they'd care now when they didn't then.

After making sure all of my Security programs were up to date, I went over to Simviation. When I got to the main page via the home screen... there were NO AD's or pop-ups of any kind. So maybe word is getting around that they need to clean it up.
    I have used Simviation for many years as a resource for aircraft downloads, as well as peeking in on their Forums, now and then. I always thought that Pete ran a tight ship. Hopefully they've eliminated the bad links, infected ad's... etc. I'd hate to give them up. I NEVER encountered any issues with Simviation until recently, and hearing feedback form other flight sim folks about their encounters. Time will tell....

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 1