Diamond Twin Star Engine Upgrade

Thread: Diamond Twin Star Engine Upgrade

Diamond Twin Star Engine Upgrade

Ever since flying the DA-42 I felt it was underpowered. Indeed, Alabeo modelled the engines on the Thielert 1.7 Litre units at the start of the DA-42's production run in 2004.

Real world it didn't take long for feedback to get to Diamond that the engines were piss poor. Then Thielert went out of business and Diamond tried Lycoming for a bit before finally settling on Austro Turbo 300's which the current DA-42 IV are equipped with. Much faster and leaner burning and make this bird a joy to fly.

I tweaked the aircraft.cfg as I flew around the World. It essentially "upgrades" the engines from the Alabeo modelled Thielert 1.7 Litre (under-powered) to the current Austro Turbo 300. It ups the power quite a lot - you can achieve level flight a few knots down from Vne.

I tweaked the cruise scalars and thrust and drag to represent the aerodynamic cleanup of cowlings and flush rivet heads that Diamond did for the IV together with the new propeller design done in 2012.

Bear in mind that with just you in the cockpit (solo) you won't need full power on TO - as in real Twin Star IV. You and three passengers and a load of luggage - full power.

Power should be applied on gaining altitude to give you realisitic KIAS's/ fuel consumption at cruise heights with power set between 70 - 84 %. Read the notes for the real thing.

PM me for a link to the Drop Box file.

Obviously don't forget to backup your original aircraft.cfg (rename it something like aircraftBACKUP.cfg and substitute this one.)

And the usual: Use at your own risk. Although it works well for me on my own system I take no responsibility for your use of this file, any damage caused or financial loss.

Enjoy,

Ganter

Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

This works magnificent. No issues thus far. I do note you added different camera definitions but don’t seem to work as there are only 4 views available.

Thank you. Very nice upgrade. I never went near full power on her and she flew like a dream.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Thank you. Very nice upgrade. I never went near full power on her and she flew like a dream.

LouP
    Good to know LouP, thanks.

I flew dear old PH-LUE around the (FSX) World in 2016. She remains my favourite all time airframe in FSX - despite her shortcomings! Not because she flies the best - she doesn't - there are amazing guys on this forum and others who have created the most magnificent flying machines, and made them freely available to us enthusiasts. No, she's my favourite because I did this trip with her and we made it home in one piece.
    I tweaked and tweaked the .cfg along the way using the Diamond DA-42 POH as reference.

I'm so glad it works well for you and others who've been kind enough to let me know.

Happy DA-42 flights!

The Route - Start EGHF/ South of England

Somewhere over Arabia

Driving out to the pyramids - well worth an FSX outing!

Mount Fuji before the port wing

Looking for the Island of Crete in the most horrible vis I've ever encountered.

Excerpt from first page of Log Book - England down to Egypt
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Hi Ganter, with all the tweaks done, what approximate range would it reach?

Kind regards,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fleurenf View Post
    Hi Ganter, with all the tweaks done, what approximate range would it reach?

Kind regards,
    Fred

That's a good question Fred,

Just looking back at my rtw log I see the longest run was Sharm El Sheikh to Lamerd, Iran with distance flown recorded at 1009 NM. I topped off all tanks before departure and on landing I've recorded I had approx 20 Gallons remaining in the tanks.. Winds aloft were on the tail so indeed helpful. Leg time is recorded at 6:09 hrs. I generally flew legs between 65% - 75% power in the cruise.

Sometimes I flew legs until I got bored and for those trips I filled the tanks as I really didn't know how far I'd fly that day. I routinely remembering seeing Endurance predictions of 12 hours/ 1200 NM on the Garmin or thereabouts once up to alt after a normal climb to get there. The book for the DA-42 IV says Range: 914 NM.

Hope that info is useful.
    Last edited by Ganter; April 29th, 2019 at 07:44.
    Jim

Wow, looking at the latest D42 - VI, https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/p...da42/overview/ now has 1215nm range

You are correct. I flew from Auckland NZAA to Tonga's Fua'amotu International NFTF a distance of approx. 1082nm with approx. 20% fuel left.

Next stop Enua Airport NCAT located in Atiu in the Cook Islands than from there fly to Tahiti - FÁÁA Int Airport NTAA

Yes, it's good when the figures stack up about right with the real world counterpart.

Looks like an interesting trip Fred.

Best of luck with that. I must explore more of that part of the Southern Hemisphere in my own FSX/ P3D World.

Best,
    Jim

Hi

Ganter was so kind to share the aircraf cfg

Thank you

Makes both- the Alabeo and Iris ( part of it ) a much faster plane-and far more fun to fly

my 2 cents

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Hi

Ganter was so kind to share the aircraf cfg

Thank you

Makes both- the Alabeo and Iris ( part of it ) a much faster plane-and far more fun to fly

my 2 cents

Roland

That is very kind of you to say Roland.

Thank you and best wishes for wonderful flights. Excuse my ignorance but what is this IRIS you are running?
    Jim

I'd like to try the cfg. tweaks if I could read your post. My old eyes see better with black print on a white background. Could you repost your tweaks that way? Thanks,,,,

Ganter thanks for sending me your modified cfg. Makes a big difference in performance. Will try some of your tweaks on Iris DA-42. Will let you know how that turns out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    That is very kind of you to say Roland.

Thank you and best wishes for wonderful flights. Excuse my ignorance but what is this IRIS you are running?
    Irsis DA-42 Twin Star

Best regards

Roland

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-5-5_17-0-53-26.jpg   2019-5-5_17-0-27-874.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post
    Irsis DA-42 Twin Star

Best regards

Roland

Of course. The Iris DA-42. How stupid of me.

A couple of chaps have reported good results with the tweak on not just the Alabeo airframe.

Obviously not having the Iris I couldn't say, but it's good to hear reports that it seems to have improved that one as well.

Best,
    Jim

Hi,

this new engine config is quite an improvement on the overall performance of the aircraft.
    Will do some further testing in the course of the coming weeks.

Thanks for sharing the improved configuration.

Wim

Thanks for this mod i got it, now going to fly

Members who have read this thread: 2