FSX crash problem

Thread: FSX crash problem

FSX crash problem

So, for the past 18 hours or so, I have run into a problem with my copy of FSX Steam Edition. It crashed to desktop without any error message yesterday, and every attempt to get the sim to restart ends the same way since. I click on the button to load the sim, it goes through the loading process, but before it goes to the main menu screen, it just quits. No error message or anything, just goes back to desktop. I have tried deleting the cfg, disabling plugins, verifying all my files, etc. Still won't start. Can anybody offer any assistance, please?

1) Open FSX.CFG with NotePad or NotePad++. After making a back-up copy, of course. Look for a line that reads Situation= . What comes after the = sign doesn't matter ATM. Why? Because you need to delete anything and everything after the = . Once you've done that, save it, and start FSX, if you can.

2) Go to the folder C:\Users\<YourUserName>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files. Rename the file Logbook.bin to something else. ANYthing else. Like Logbook.nib, or LogBook.Bak, LogBook_Save.bin, something that makes it NOT LogBook.bin, but you can find again easily. Try to start FSX, and see what happens. If it starts, download a logbook repair program of your choice, and see if it can fix the renamed logbook.bin file. If it can, you're golden, if not, well, you get to start over. FSX will created a new, empty, one for you to start all over with.

3) IF your're using FSX:SE, open your Steam client window. Go to Games. Right click on FSX. from the drop down, select Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Files. Let it run, and once it's done, try FSX again. It should work.

Let us know how things work out...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

It's not sim-specific, I'm having exactly the same problem with P3Dv4 (CTD, no error message, nothing in the event viewer, no obvious extremes showing in HW Monitor). I've put the sim on a brand new SSD, upgraded the video card to a GeForce 1080ti, re-seated the RAM and run MemTest, the motherboard is a relatively new (15 month) gaming board, non-overclocked and a new PSU at the same time. Bloody frustrating, but there seem to be quite a few threads on the various forums dancing around this issue without anything firm in terms of resolving it.

When the sim is running, it's super-smooth, no issues at all and really enjoyable. Then suddenly it's gone with no warning whatsoever!
    Paul.

Everyone sure that it's not something simple like "Pause on task" is checked in your settings?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hey Switchblade, since you mentioned a new video card, was FSX:SE and P3D running with the new card before you hit this issue? Since it's not sim-specific, possibly something that they both have in common.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Well, I've tried everything..... It looks like I'll be on a non-combat flight sim hiatus until I can get P3D or X-Plane. FSX is getting pretty old anyway. Time to dust off DCS World....

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    Well, I've tried everything..... It looks like I'll be on a non-combat flight sim hiatus until I can get P3D or X-Plane. FSX is getting pretty old anyway. Time to dust off DCS World....
    I will be spending a lot of time with DCS, but not until the Tomkitty is released. NC

So.... Interesting thing happened. My PC messaged me about a new NVIDIA graphics driver to download and install last night. I did so, and now FSX works like a charm. Darndest thing. Thanks everyone for your help in troubleshooting.

Members who have read this thread: 0