The Heinkels get PBR

Thread: The Heinkels get PBR

The Heinkels get PBR

We are testing our new Heinkel HE 111 P2 in V4.4 with full PBR materials incorporated in the models. They are full V4.4 SDK outputs. Here's a rather war weary example we are using to test metal, paint and corrosion effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HeinkelPBR6.jpg   HeinkelPBR4.jpg   HeinkelPBR5.jpg   HeinkelPBR3.jpg   HeinkelPBR2.jpg   HeinkelPBR1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    We are testing our new Heinkel HE 111 P2 in V4.4 with full PBR materials incorporated in the models. They are full V4.4 SDK outputs. Here's a rather war weary example we are using to test metal, paint and corrosion effects.
    Its no hidden fact im probally not the greatest AH Fan

However credit is absolutely due here with the images with the pbr detail

They do look amazing and its good to see the new advances in the sim are being utilised

Thankyou Matt, appreciated. These are perhaps a little over the top but it is just a testbed for technique and variety of finishes. Like life, it is a learning curve.

Great and CRG!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

A level of realism I'd not seen before. Congrats...

There was an He-111 recovered from a lake some years ago that looked almost in better nick than that one(!), though I really am impressed by the material/texturing results that can be produced with Quixel and now more fluidly implemented with P3D's PBR support. If you just take those individual cowl panels, they do look like various aircraft parts/components you find from WWII in people's collections today, having been battered around, possibly stored out in the elements for some decades, etc.

The final package will contain liveries which are "kinder"to the age of the aeroplanes. If we don't test in this manner however, we will not know what works and what doesn't. BTW, we don't use Quixel.

Herr Göring is rolling over in his grave by the look of these.....

Looks like PBR has no secrets anymore for AH, well done !

You say Quixel hasn't been used here, Baz... care to reveal what you *did* use, if any ?

Might it be too much to ask to maybe post another collection of rather more 'normal' textured Heinkels that use PBR in v4.4 ?....

Vielen dank im Vorhaus

I can answer that.
    We're using substance ( quixel is photoshop based currently so if you dont use photoshop you cant use quixel ). Oh and beer, Iron Maiden and absolutely nothing good on TV.

Not PBR materials yet but these are closer to the final livery states we are aiming for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2CleanE.jpg   P2CleanD.jpg   P2CleanC.jpg   P2CleanB.jpg   P2cleanA.jpg  

Great stuff Baz, look the textures. Looks like the bombs dropped may even have the tumbling effect so typical for the 111. Can't wait for the release.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    I can answer that.
    We're using substance ( quixel is photoshop based currently so if you dont use photoshop you cant use quixel ). Oh and beer, Iron Maiden and absolutely nothing good on TV.

Thanks P !

May i possibly ask, do you use 'just' the Substance Painter software or 'Designer' and/or 'B2M' too ? ( i mean, with the creation of the Heinkel PBR test textures.... )

Roger on the beer, Iron Maiden and nothing on TV (better stay away from Netflix... )

Thanks again !

Not PBR materials yet but these are closer to the final livery states we are aiming for.
    Thanks, Baz, looking good !

Maybe some BPR's later, Ok ?....

Agree, nice work and cant wait (with PBR also).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks P !

May i possibly ask, do you use 'just' the Substance Painter software or 'Designer' and/or 'B2M' too ? ( i mean, with the creation of the Heinkel PBR test textures.... )

Roger on the beer, Iron Maiden and nothing on TV (better stay away from Netflix... )

Thanks again !
    Sort of. Affinity ( photoshop replacement ) does some serious heavy lifting before and less heavy after substance. The split would be around 60 - 40 in favour of affinity/PS . Dont use designer or b2m. From what I gather both are for designers of materials rather than painters. Kept the cost down to.

Netflix is hobbled in australia so it wouldnt be such an issue. My major problem is Forza and Elite dangerous.

Sort of. Affinity ( photoshop replacement ) does some serious heavy lifting before and less heavy after substance. The split would be around 60 - 40 in favour of affinity/PS. Dont use designer or b2m. From what I gather both are for designers of materials rather than painters. Kept the cost down to.
    I've been looking at Affinity also $49 compared to $149 Substance. What's your assessment for Affinity? Using PS6 currently.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Affinity + substance. If you are a repainter you arent going to need substance as you cant get the model into the programme. Affinity is the photoshop side of the equation. In the substance work flow you still need a photoshop ... just that it doesnt need to be photoshop.

There is a free trial for 30 days you can try. It is right at the bottom where you usually find the contact details. It took me to the mac version as I am on a mac so not sure if the windows version has one. Odd there isnt a big button saying demo?

I personally like it but I'm a " plug in the wacom and scratch things up and then save as a psd " type of person. A real photoshop person will not like some of the quirks. It does it's job for me well , it didnt cost a lot ( i bought the day it was released on mac and then again the day it was released on windows so got the deals ) and it doesnt charge rent. I have enough of that in my life!
    Last edited by pilto von pilto; December 13th, 2018 at 12:50. Reason: Forgot that you still need a photoshop programme of some sort.

A also recently got Affinity for PC and I'm very happy with it so far. The price is very good. I was also lucky to get a Black Friday discount.

Sort of. Affinity ( photoshop replacement ) does some serious heavy lifting before and less heavy after substance. The split would be around 60 - 40 in favour of affinity/PS . Dont use designer or b2m. From what I gather both are for designers of materials rather than painters. Kept the cost down to.
    Thanks P. I have installed Substance 1 month free check it out. Looks like that'll take a couple sleepless nights...

Netflix is hobbled in australia so it wouldnt be such an issue. My major problem is Forza and Elite dangerous.
    Don't tempt me! Elite first (and second) edition used to be my fav game many,many docks ago. Saw a trailer of this last iteration. Still looks pretty familiar ! ;-)

I like what i see with Forza on the tube too (new to me.. i have Pcars and AC) alas not for me, i'm still on W7...

Might I add that 'Television' in Australia isn't just 'Hobbled'.......it's Rooted!

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I've never heard of affinity, but I just went and checked it out. It's on sale for the holidays. I've been thinking of updating to a new i-Pad and this could be great for it. I have PS and Quixel at home for the desktop. I just have to learn to use Quixel now.

Any chance your B-17 might also get PBR texturing? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks P. I have installed Substance 1 month free check it out. Looks like that'll take a couple sleepless nights...

Don't tempt me! Elite first (and second) edition used to be my fav game many,many docks ago. Saw a trailer of this last iteration. Still looks pretty familiar ! ;-)

I like what i see with Forza on the tube too (new to me.. i have Pcars and AC) alas not for me, i'm still on W7...
    I have both quixel and SP. Cant use quixel now, but substance's learning curve was real shallow compared to quixel. If you understand masks and layers in photoshop then you're over 50 % there. In both cases though the time is in the preparation of the model.

Ask Baz how many hours he "lost" on elite on the amstrad 6128 back in the day! He still regales us over his encounters of thargoids and that he got to archangel status. It is a bit like how if we had made the jump from FS 98 to P3d v4.4, you can see the family resemblance, the core of it is the same but wow what a difference. Oh and you're not stuck in a cobra mk3. The only negative : other real world people. You can turn off that aspect but then it becomes a "space trade sim" at least for me. So small doses !

Navy Chief : I'll let Baz chime in on that one.

There was nothing wrong with the Cobra. Young cadets today don't know what's good for 'em... did you know I used to be an archangel?....

LOTS of work to bring B17s to PBR. We might wait for V5....

Members who have read this thread: 0