P4D not starting

Thread: P4D not starting

P4D not starting

I can't get P4D to start. It simply sits on the initial splash screen and does nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Did you delete something from P3Dv4 just before this happened?

I got a similar endless loading screen when I tried to delete an item, and while the uninstaller removed the folders from P3Dv4, it didn't
    remove the item's entry in the scenery.cfg file. The entry had a pathway pointing to a now non-existent folder, so that's what was causing
    the endless loading screen. I went into the scenery.cfg file, deleted the entry for that item, and P3Dv4 then started up fine.

Complication: P3Dv4 has two scenery.cfg files, one located at AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/P3Dv4, the other located at
    C: ProgramData/Lockheed Martin/P3Dv4 (which one gets used I think depends on which drive P3Dv4 is installed on), so you might
    have to check both.

Hope that helps - RobM

I'm also thinking about a problem with the scenery.cfg file.
    It happened on a friend's computer. The file was the one in c:\programdata\...

Re the two scenery.cfg locations, the way A2A explained it on their forum (I can't find the thread now), if P3Dv4 is installed on C drive,
    it uses the AppData/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/P3Dv4 location; if P3Dv4 is installed on a drive other than C, it uses the C: ProgramData/
    Lockheed Martin/P3Dv4 location. I think this applies to both the scenery.cfg and addons.cfg. At least it does on my install.

Going back to the OP, if there hasn't been a recent deletion, you can try deleting the P3Dv4.cfg file and the Shaders folder. P3Dv4 will
    rebuild these two items when you start the sim. It will reset graphics and controls back to their defaults, but it often fixes many problems.

I hope this helps - RobM

delete your addons cfg, most of the hangs on the splash screens are because of external addons failing to load or a conflict in the cfg.

Delete the cfg and allow it to rebuild in the next start up by clicking on yes to load each addon on

Yes, usually there is an addon that causes this issue. Just delete the most recent files which you can identify may have been the culprit then go into the main P3D folder, find and double click: Delete Generated Files. That should clear up the issue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

additionally double check if you have a addons.cfg in your user/appdata folder and program data folder.

delete the both and allow the rebuild, ive had the problem of addons adding in both locations and the cfgs where out of sync, ive noticed in v4.4 it only generates in the program data folder now so there is no need to have both files which should eliminate this problem in the future

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Yes, usually there is an addon that causes this issue. Just delete the most recent files which you can identify may have been the culprit then go into the main P3D folder, find and double click: Delete Generated Files. That should clear up the issue.
    That certainly did clear up the issue, thanks.
    It removed FSUIPC and TacPack, ORBX -- everything.
    It also reset all sim options to factory default.

Still, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Dave

This is another solution to the problem ( or rather, another way of going about it ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SleBV75NZJM

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    That certainly did clear up the issue, thanks.
    It removed FSUIPC and TacPack, ORBX -- everything.
    It also reset all sim options to factory default.

Still, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Dave
    You definitely did it the hard way

You will have to reinstall several addons to repopulate your dll.xml and exe.xml

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    You definitely did it the hard way

You will have to reinstall several addons to repopulate your dll.xml and exe.xml
    That's true, but it has turned out to be a useful learning experience.
    It's interesting to find that there are certain add-ons you installed an age of man ago for reasons you can't remember.....

Dave

So, that means that deleting the scenery.cfg was not enough to solve your problem ?

Members who have read this thread: 0