A heads up to those with NVIDIA GeForce 1060 GTX cards

Thread: A heads up to those with NVIDIA GeForce 1060 GTX cards

SOH-CM-2024

A heads up to those with NVIDIA GeForce 1060 GTX cards

That is what I have, it may also affect higher end NVIDIA GeForce cards. The latest NVIDIA Drivers, 417.22, released 12-03-18, cause my FSX-SE Gold with all the bells and whistles, to lock up loading a flight at 3%. FSX would open and I could select any flight, but consistently, regardless of aircraft or airport, it would start loading and lock at 3%.

The solution for me was simple, I simply rolled back the Drivers to the last version, 416.81, released 11-08-18 and that cured the problem.

So if any of you with similar cards have a problem, I hope this helps.

Cazzie

Thanks for the warning. I only have a GTX660, but I'll stick to 417.01 from 26-11-18 to be on the safe side.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Thanks for the warning Cazzie.

Just some food for thoughts.......

We can accuse NVIDEA for making bad drivers which lock up our computers. But we could also look at our selves and realise that we still try to keep software running from the time a Pentium III processor was still the standard..............

(Says the man who is still running FS2004 )

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks for the warning Cazzie.

Just some food for thoughts.......

We can accuse NVIDEA for making bad drivers which lock up our computers. But we could also look at our selves and realise that we still try to keep software running from the time a Pentium III processor was still the standard..............

(Says the man who is still running FS2004 )

Cheers,
    Huub
    I still have FS 2004 running too Huub, just too many good aircraft for it, and all the bells and whistles for that sim too. I hate that with Windows 10, I must use the no disk crack. Frame rates are off the charts too, LOL.

Cazzie

Quite some while ago an nVidia driver update rendered my FS9 sims non-functional. Like Cazzie, I rolled back the driver and all was well again.

The thing is, driver updates are developed to adapt the video card to new games. It sometimes happens that support for old games is lost. FS9 is now fifteen years old and FSX must be a decade old or nearly so. Providing support for new games is obviously important, but seems to be a typical attitude in the software industry that everyone is only interested in the very latest products and that anything old is no longer being used by anyone, so ongoing support for older software seems pointless and unnecessary.

So don't expect support for any version of FS to reappear in new updates. It's not gonna happen.

As far as FS is concerned, just stick with your present driver and never accept another update. If you must have all the latest games, then forget about FS, or have two computers, one for FS and one for the new stuff.

It's the same with P3D, I'm afraid. The sim won't even load. Doesn't get as far as the selection screen.

Dave

Allways update my drivers and never had a problem. This time will stick to the one installed, 417.01, on my 1080 working perfectly. Thanks for advising…
    regards

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I bught a new RTX2070 this week to replace my old GTX770, and indeed FsX wasn't working anymore after I updated my drivers. I deleted my fsx.cfg and tried again. FsX would start a flight, but every time I ticked the 'anti-aliasing' box in the menu it would crash, and react like my monitor was no longer connected!
    So I went to the Nvidia Inspector, deleted my FsX profile and FsX.cfg again, and now FsX does run with Antialiasing on.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Checked and 417.35 is my present driver and apparently their latest.
    FS92004 runs off the scale (I still use it!) ans I use P3Dv3 instead of FSX, nothing untoward with the Flight Sims or Race Sims.......yet!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Using 417.58 with no issues on FSXSE with a GTX 1060 SC.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Also using 417.35 for the last couple of weeks for P3Dv4.4 and FSX with no apparent problems (was released Dec-12-2018).
    This is the latest driver that shows for my aging GTX 980.

I had skipped the 417.22 that was giving the problems (I usually only update once a month).

- RobM

Members who have read this thread: 0