I was gifted the latest version of X-Plane and aside from a few early problems with controllers and TrackIR, I'm enjoying it a lot. One very important factor that might keep some replies in context. . .my take on whether or not an FDE is correct for a given airplane is this "If I can take off, fly straight and level, make turns, get to my destination and land, taxi and shut down. . .then the FDE is fine".

As for the rest, I'm only flying the default airplanes right now although I did download a few freeware offerings that I haven't had time to try yet. Setup is somewhat different, the end results are the same but X-Plane just goes about it in a different way. I love eye-candy and a few things that I found to be pretty awesome. . .two-tier major highways (with traffic on both levels) with overhead signs, realistic lighting, traffic that doesn't disappear after a short run and then reappear somewhere down the road. Railway system with functioning trains (cargo haulers and high speed rail). More detailed Cities with better framerates. Ground textures with no blurring that I could see and probably a few other things as well.

I don't plan on leaving FSX or P3D just yet, but I see where P3d is headed and what it could require in the way of eventual upgrades to be able to enjoy the future of the Sim and honestly a lot of the new technology is of little concern to me. . .and that's just a personal opinion. So it appears that I've found a new Sim to explore and enjoy and I never imagined that I would be saying that and the name X-Plane in the same breath, lol.