Problems with Fw-190A-4 install

Thread: Problems with Fw-190A-4 install

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Problems with Fw-190A-4 install

Having problems installing the new SJ Fw-190 A4's in that when installed i then have problems with the new SJ spitfires shooting square tracers. Tried the fix but didn't help. Reinstalled backups and problem was still there with the Spitfires. Defraged and rebooted and now it is back to normal. Would like to have the new SJ Fw-190 but don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem ? Any advise ? Installing in the ETO. It is heavily modded too. When i added the preload lines to the preload file i also had problems. The sim would lock up on start up and say the preload file was corrupted. Reinstalled backup preload and problem went away. Any help out there ? I know there has to be a way. Thanks,Scott

Blog Entries
    Should i install the complete preload file located in the ETO folder of the SJ Fw-190 ? Will that hurt the SJ Spitfire in any way? Also,should i use the alternate effects for the SJ Fw190 and not try to replace the effects for the SJ Spitfire? Any of you have both aircraft and experienced the same type of issues. As i said before , the SJ Spitfires were all working properly before i tried to install the Fw190. Never had problems adding aircraft to CFS3 before. This is complicated with a lot of editing and files,but doesn't seem too hard. What am i doing wrong ? Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Reinstalled SJ Fw-190 package with alternate effects and now the FW-190 tracers fire correctly. i now have a problem with the cannon tracers showing squares on the SJ Spitfires. Should i erase the old effect entries in the effect file for the SJ Spitfires and re-enter the alternate effect file entry ? Will try that and see if it works. As stated before the SJ Spitfires were operating perfectly before. Any ideas ? Regards,Scott

I believe you are not the only one to have problems with these. I thought there was a thread on this somewhere; I know I also had issues but forget what I did. Check some old threads on square tracers.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    IIRC the SJ_tracer effects overwrite some of the stock effects. Trouble is, the blendmode differs between tracer effects. So rather than overwrite the tracer effects per the instructions, I suggest you change the name of each SJ tracer effect slightly, so that stock tracer textures are not affected. Also, need to change the name of the new SJ tracer .dds textures slightly, and therefore change the texture name in the SJ tracer effects which you add to the effects.xml file.

In that way, you can have your cake and eat it too - nice new SJ tracer effects, while retaining the stock tracer effects.

Otherwise, you will get some squares popping up either in the new tracers, or the old ones.

Given that you are seeing square tracers with the new guns, I suspect you haven't added the lines required into the effects.xml. So its a good time to make the changes to the SJ effects.

The final step would be to go into the SJ weapons (rounds for the new SJ guns) and change the name of the tracer effect to the new, slightly different, name you have created.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advise. Added alternate effects text to the effects.xml for the SJ Fw-190 and both the SJ Spitfires and SJ Fw-190's operated correctly but effected some stock and older aircraft with the square tracer problem. The SJ Spitfires have always operated correctly till i tried to install the SJ Fw-190's. Ditched the SJ Fw-190 install till i have the time to mess with it more. Hate to miss out but i just don't like editing file lines as a hobby. I like flying/fighting instead ! Maybe next weekend i'll try and do as you said as they do seem worth the extra effort. Thanks again for the reply and time,Scott

Have Dan and co not tried to rectify this themselves by renaming the required files themselves? That would make more sense than everyone going off and doing their own thing. I thought here was something on this around. ?
    Talking of which I am now getting square tracers with the ETO_Bf110C6!

Blog Entries
    I would like to keep just the stock tracers. This just isn't worth the hassle. You would think they would have figured out a solution before releasing the aircraft publicly. Tried editing the tracers out of the effects .xml file addon then inserting it but still had problems with square tracers. Then i did the same for the supplied "fix" file and still had the same problems. I'm sorry but it is just not worth the trouble. At least BoreK and others try to make it straight forward and simple to install their aircraft. All this for a "improved" tracer effect ! I refuse to do any more unless i could make it to were i could keep the original tracer effects and not ruin so many good aircraft that i like to use. Sorry you are having troubles mongoose.... Oh, i did a search and couldn't find a definite answer.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

it is the yellow and blue tracer fx textures, in the fx texture folder you will see the files with _orig in the name,

tracerend5yellow_orig.dds
    tracerend5blue_orig.dds
    tracerside5blue_orig.dds
    tracerside5yellow_orig.dds

change these to the correct names and the problem will go away, and as far as I can see no discernable impact on the effect is noticable.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob. Will give that a try. Would really like to have this aircraft. Hope your fix works. Thanks again. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Tried what you said Rob and did not have any problems yet. Will try a complete install of the SJ Fw-190 this evening and see how it works. Can't wait ! If it works it will be a easy fix ! The SJ Spitfires operate perfectly so far and all other aircraft also. There is hope ! Who knew a fix would be so easy! Thanks and will post after testing. Regards,Scott

That explains why I've been having the square tracer blues! Thanks for the fix!

Thanks for the fix Rob ! been looking for this one

Well maybe my issue was different. I had issues with the TO_Bf110C6 in my ETO and ETO_TOW installs. Now In the latter I have 3 versions of these dds files.
    tracerend5yellow_orig.dds
    tracerend5yellow.dds
    tracerend5yellow_geko.dds

and so on also for blue.

Messing around with these by changing each to tracerend5yellow.dds and so on, didn't do much, so I went tyo my old backup installs for both of these newer installs and put their fxtexture folders in and no more square tracers. The point is the back up folders had the same 3 dds files for yellow and blue !

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob !! That did the trick ! No more square tracers. I'm so happy after hours of toil finally a true fix.Now i can enjoy the SJ Fw-190's. Thanks a million,Scott

Blog Entries
    This fix should be written in stone ! So simple ! Thanks for taking the time Rob to help us out. Love the new SJ Fw-190's. A great addition to CFS3. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Should be in the Knowledge Base sticky so this fix doesn't get lost and another hapless person such as myself doesn't run into the same problem. Thanks,Scott Added: I posted it to the Knowledge base stick thanks to all for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 1