FS2004 jet assisted take off effects

Thread: FS2004 jet assisted take off effects

Hallo Friends,

does some one knows if it is possible in FS2004 to simulate jet assisted take off for a piston engine powered aircraft other wise than to use war emergency power?
    the reason for this question:
    the Ju 88 could use start rockets when "overloaded". If possible I want to integrate this possibility into the Ju88A project.
    Yes I know the old and fine dsd-catapult gauge but this reproduce not what I want.
    Yours
    Papi

This is beyond my knowledge Papi, but I have the feeling this is more than FS9 can handle. Perhaps there is a work around, but I have never seen it.

The Neptune had start support, but I have never seen it in the Alphasim version of this aircraft. But there is also a "Scrub" version of the Ryan Fireball, perhaps this model can provide you the answer.

Cheers,
    Huub

You could simulate the visual aspect with a smoke effect triggered by the smoke system key.

As for the power, maybe some fiddling in the engine sections of the aircraft.cfg file???

I've seen it done in FSX by adding an extra engine to the aircraft.cfg that only feeds from a very small fuel tank that only feeds the "JATO" engine to limit how long it will run. Just start the JATO immediately prior to take off, throttle up and go. I think it should be doable in FS9 as well. I'd use a separate magneto and starter switch for it. And it will be linked to the other engines as well. Some sound.cfg trickery could add jet sounds for just the one.

The more I think about it, the more doable it seems in FS9. Just not for four engine aircraft though.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Wow, would I love this effect for FS9, Papi !

hertzie.

I ever made a JATO system in FS9, but I can't remember for whom and in which aircraft it ended up in.
    (don't have my old FS9 PC anymore).

Although it doesn't use the dsd_catapult gauge, it was based on the same principle: fast accelleration by overwriting the simvar's speed variables.
    (part of the solution I use for all my VTOL and carriers ops stuff).

Not sure why you can't use the dsd_catapult gauge, so maybe you can explain what you're missing or why that doesn't work.

Rob

JATO For Ju 88A

Hallo Friends,

Willy, your idea of the extra engine seem very interesting.
    as soon I have time i will try with that idea.
    Rob, the old catapult gauge is really fine - but it would not fit to my Ju 88A jato:
    the catapult gauge works with the aircraft with the brakes set, than full power when you put off the brakes the plane is launched.
    For the Ju 88A I need rocket extra power when the aircraft is almost on the take off run. The pilot started the two rockets under the wings when he runned about 100 m on the rinway and had a speed of about 130 Km/h. You see it is quiet different.
    Perhaps as you are a gauges expert you could find a sollution for my problem?
    Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hallo Friends,

Rob, the old catapult gauge is really fine - but it would not fit to my Ju 88A jato:
    the catapult gauge works with the aircraft with the brakes set, than full power when you put off the brakes the plane is launched.
    For the Ju 88A I need rocket extra power when the aircraft is almost on the take off run. The pilot started the two rockets under the wings when he runned about 100 m on the rinway and had a speed of about 130 Km/h. You see it is quiet different.
    Perhaps as you are a gauges expert you could find a sollution for my problem?
    Yours
    Papi
    Not problem to make that; probably getting the right spec is more difficult then the implementation ….LoL
    But I leave the guesswork up to you ….
    To give a headstart:

1. So initiating the rockets is a manual action by the pilot, right ?
    Like with a switch in the VC …
    Just provide me with an Lvar (boolean) which you implement in the VC. (True=activate rockets).

2. I need to know the accelleration and duration of the rockets burn (assuming that you cannot stop the rockets once activated)
    So in "Endspeed"= "Speed at initiation" plus X knots, in Y seconds. I need to know your numbers for X and Y.

I could even add a rocket sound (if you provide me with a short wav file which is played repetitively while the rockets burn)

Just hope I can restore the right gauge versions for FS9. (is this for FS9 ONLY ???)
    Note: this solution does require FSUIPC to be installed (registration not required)

I just sent you a PM.

Rob

Hallo Friends,

thank you friends for the echoes.
    I' m very glad about.
    Now I will test what I got in the Next days.
    Rob I sended you via my private mail some infos about the boosters.

Thank you a lot friends
    Yours
    Papi

Hallo Friends,

Rob kindly made the gauge I needed.
    And it works perfectly as I wanted it to do.
    Another step accomplished on this project
    Thank you for your help Rob
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Michael,

Good to hear it works for you.

Cheers, Rob

PS.
    By the way, this gauge is setup as a generic gauge where acceleration is configurable.
    So works for any aircraft.
    Heck, one could even use it as a cable-tow gauge to get a glider in the air ......Lol

Hi Rob,
    as this gauge is configurable it also is very interesting for an FS9 version of the Arado Ar234
    Thank you again
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Friends,
    here just a screenie from tests
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Friends,
    here just a screenie from tests
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Rob,
    as this gauge is configurable it also is very interesting for an FS9 version of the Arado Ar234
    Thank you again
    Yours
    Papi
    I really hope there is somebody with the required knowledge who wants to convert the CFS3 model of the Arado Ar234 done by Boresk.

The effect looks nice Papi

Cheers,
    Huub

FS2004 jet assisted take off effects for cfs3

Hallo friends,
    sadly I do not have CFS3,
    so I can't say if this gauge would work in cfs3 Rob kindly incuded the possibility to make the gauge work in FSX,
    Concerning the Arado Ar 234, I hoped that the CFS3 version would also be avaible in fs9 version.
    I beleive to be able with Rob' s gauge to make an Arado 234 conversion using this gauge. Next year,LOL
    Yours
    Papi

[ Heck, one could even use it as a cable-tow gauge to get a glider in the air ......Lol ]

Wow, that sounds great. Rob really is a magician. Can't wait for that gauge to experiment with in my gliders...

Or the whole gauge in my Ohka....

hertzie.

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    [ Heck, one could even use it as a cable-tow gauge to get a glider in the air ......Lol ]

Wow, that sounds great. Rob really is a magician. Can't wait for that gauge to experiment with in my gliders...

Or the whole gauge in my Ohka....

hertzie.
    Well, I can make a public upload of the package, but then I need to make some proper documentation.

If you want it soon: just send me a PM with your regular (public) Email address, and I'll mail you the gauges.

Rob

FS2004 jet assisted take off effects Public release

Hi Rob,
    sorry for the writting style,
    on my pc at works it s a bit crazy to use the messages.
    Rob, please mention that for every new plane or use the gauge must be copied with a new name
    because on every plane the values might be quiet different.
    So I have one for the Ju 88A and one for the Arado Ar 234 (needs still some adjustments)
    Yours
    Papi

thank you for mentioning the CFS3 Arado 234, I would really like to see it converted for FS9 or FSX

I have to say to simulate the rocket booster takeoff in CFS3 is not possible natural way, so it is solved as a feak effect there. seems it is similar problem at FS9

the CFS3 project first option was to make the Blitz third engine equipped, where such related effect emitter and thrust would be cut off after take off manually and the rocked booster pods would be dropped then away as fuel tank objects.

for the final version I did it quite different though: no additional engine, but a negative weight of the rocket booster "fuel tanks", which surprisingly works at CFS3. I am not sure if this would work in FS9.
    the airplane is just less weight untill you drop the rocket pods, that causes the faster takeoff.

Hallo BorekS,

Rob did really a very good job I must say!
    I only use FS2004 (fs9), and it works perfectly.
    When activated the booster give an extra accelaration, the light/smoke effect is just a + the gauge does.
    you can in the gauge folder put in the time how long the booster should work and from the moment you activate it how much more speed it give at the end of the burst.
    Concerning the weight, hmmm I must find a sollution but I work on it.
    Of course all is for the moment focused on the Ju 88A, but later I can also look at the Arado Ar 234 (when I can get a fine one, for FS2004, LOL) I just made a trial on Erwin Wekers one, but this need some rework.
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 0