Best Fw 190 A-6

Thread: Best Fw 190 A-6

Best Fw 190 A-6

Hello all,

I recently returned to simming after a long absence. I have FSX Steam edition and have been flying A2A's Piper 180 and Beechcraft Bonanza. I would like to find a FW-190-A6, as that was the version my mother's cousin was flying in Russia when he failed to return from a mission. His name was Gerhard Homuth and quoting a website it was "Fw 190 A-6 (W.Nr. 550 436) “<< +” Stab I./JG 54 South of Kromy.

Also, any help with schemes and markings would be appreciated.

As a side note, some of my mother's relatives were also in the US Airforce and were in Tunisia at the same time as Gerhard was in North Africa. This brings up the unanswerable question of whether or not they ever met in the skies over Africa.....

Thanks for any help!
    Matt

The best I have seen is found at the Classic Hanger. Check it out HERE!!!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

I also recommend the Classic Hangar FW-190.
    The "compilation" package includes all variants from -3 to -9 if I remember correctly, with specific virtual cockpits instruments depending on the variant.
    The aircraft modelling is superb, the VC is superb, the sounds are very nice and that plane works perfectly in FSX up to P3Dv4
    If you're really interested only in the -6 variant, then you can choose the "late variant" package instead.

About the person: http://www.luftwaffe39-45.historia.n...ses/homuth.htm

As Stovall and Daube already mentioned the Classics Hangar FW190 is definitely the one to get. It is really the best, without any competition. Make sure you choose the set which includes the A-6. As Daube already said, the late variants set includes the A-6. The compilation set does not include the A-6 version.

The aircraft in the profile below shows the markings from the commander of Stab I./JG54. As Homuth disappeared in August, the aircraft would have been painted in these green "summer" colours. (Homuth had a different aircraft number of course). I assume aircraft from Gerhard Helmuth had the "Grünhertz" painted on the fuselage.

When you need somebody to do the repaint for you, you can contact me.

Cheers,
    Huub

This evening I went though my books about JG54 and the war at the Eastern front. I have many books on these topics including the photographic history of JG54 which contains a load of pictures. But I haven't been able to find a single picture from him or his aircraft while he had this function. Most likely because he only has been commander of I./JG54 for 3 days.
    Based on the pictures of the aircraft of Walter Novotny I think my first assumption was wrong. On his aircraft the green heart had already disappeared in June 1943.

The aircraft in the profile about is the aircraft flown by Hauptmann Ademeit, who was in command of I./JG54 from 4 April 1944 untiil 8 may 1944.

Cheers,
    Huub

I realized that there might be no surviving photos of his JG 54 aircraft. He was there for only a very short time as you say Huub. I have many more markings for his 109E and F's while he was with JG 27 in Africa.

EDIT: Just ordered the Classic Hanger late version. Thanks guys!
    Matt

Wow, I never realized the "compilation" package didn't include the A-6 ! I thought it was both in the "compilation" AND the "late variants"
    Thanks for pointing that out, Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Wow, I never realized the "compilation" package didn't include the A-6 ! I thought it was both in the "compilation" AND the "late variants"
    The compilation package contains the FW190 A series 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9. Which is a logical choice in my opinion. The A-3 doesn't differ much from the earlier series. The A-4 is the final version from the early series. The A-5 is the first version of the late series and the A-6 and A-7 weren't very different.The A-8 is the first version of the final series and the A-9 is a beast to try to keep the FW190 A series at the same level as the Allied aircraft were, with the limited resources the Germans had at that stage of the war. I have all versions installed, but the versions in the compilation pack are more or less the only versions I fly.

Enjoy the package and you will see the evolution of this beautiful aircraft.

@Daube: The fact you didn't know that the A-6 wasn't in the package is more or less logical. I had to check the "Pilot's Manual" to see which version were included, and at the front page is written "Classified Information"

Cheers,
    Huub

This is what the aircraft could have looked like (but most likely didn't ). With the I./JG54 unit marking on the cowling, the green heart on the fuselage. My repaints normally look a bit more weathered than the default textures .

Cheers,
    Huub

That looks great! Probably the closest one could come without an actual photograph. I can't make out from the pics if it has (W.Nr. 550 436) on the tail. If it does, I would love it if you would upload it here!!

EDIT:
    I now have the 190 late versions. It's everything you've said and more! I also ordered Osprey's books on Jagdgeschwaders 27 and 54. For a pilot with a score of 63, it is surprising how he is almost never mentioned.
    Matt

Hi Matt,

As I'm not aware of any pictures of this particular aircraft I went for the most colourful option, with the markings of I./JG54 on the nose and the "Grünherz" at the fuselage.

The green of the fighters of JG54 is a sort of mystery. The standard RLM 74/75/76 scheme was designed for medium to high altitude fighter operations and not suitable for low level actions over the green woods of Russia. So the (hand painted?) green scheme was quickly introduced by Hannes Trautloft, who also introduced the green heart. There are many theories about the green paint. Some sources state the paint came from captured Russian supplies, but I go for the more logical option that the paint was actually RLM 70 over RLM71. As these green paints were still very common in the Luftwaffe and for instance still used on bombers and transport aircraft.
    The "Grünherz" was originally the personal marking of Hannes Trautloft, who came from Thuringia. Thuringia is known as the green heart of Germany, due to the large forests (Thüringer Wald).

The Fw190 A-6 was primarily designed for the Eastern Front and introduced in June 1943. So you can wonder whether an aircraft from a high ranking officer like the "Gruppenkommandeur" looked as war beaten like I painted this one........

The aircraft number I painted at the tail is indeed 550436, so it could look as the aircraft your mother's cousin flew.

Still some minor things to do. When its finished, I will upload it here.

Cheers,
    Huub

AWESOME!!! Am really looking forward to this paint. A HUGE Thank You!!

EDIT:

Agreed on the controversy of the colours. Here is a discussion you may have already seen:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=39483
    Matt

Yes Matt, I was aware of that discussion. Its just one of the many and I don't think we will ever find the shades to which everybody agrees.

This brings me back to my little project. I had painted the model in the shades regarded authentic by the Czech high quality model kit produced Eduard. Personally I thought they were a bit light for colours called "Dunkelgrün" (dark green) and "Schwarzgrün" (black green). Therefore I went for a darker shade of these colours. Below you can see the result. I think the textures are finished and I will try to upload them tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Huub

That looks great
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    That looks great
    Totally agree!!! Huub has done a fantastic job on this paint. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning waiting to "open" the zip and install!

THANKS HUUB!!!
    Matt

beautiful, Huub!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    beautiful, Huub!
    Thanks JK,

You are adding far to many "Good guys" to the library, so I though it was about time I contributed another "Bad guy"
    It should be available in the library now,

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I have the "compilation" package and indeed it does not have the A-6. However, the texture files for the A-6 will work with the A-5 (if you update the [fltsim] entry to the A-5 model and swap out the texture.cfg). Not really sure what the differences are between models, but I'm sure someone knows.

BTW - beautiful paint, Huub.

While we're on this subject, does anyone know of any replacement sounds for the Fw-190? The external sounds are great, but the cockpit sounds are way too soft. Just wondering.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Warhorse, as I already mentioned in an earlier post there weren't that much differences between the A-5, A-6 and A-7 versions. From my memory, the A-6 had slightly different wings and standardised armament. The A-7 version had had a slightly different nose due to heavier weapons. In the Classics hangar late versions package their all have their own authentic cockpit, with different instruments and a slightly different lay-out.
    So there aren't that much differences in the external models, but the real difference can be found inside.....

I'm glad you like the repaint, it was fun creating it....

For me the sounds are fine, I think with a headset and helmet on your head, the noise level might be a bit reduces. And perhaps more practical, the lower noise level avoid my wife starts complaining.........

Cheers,
    Huub

Somebody asked for a I./JG54 FW190 A-6 in winter livery. I could only find one single picture from a A-6 in winter colours with the unit markings on it, but was not able to see a aircraft's registration. So the repaint is not based on solid information, but it depicts the FW190 A-6 flown by the technical officer from I./JG54 early 1944.

Cheers,
    Huub

Love the winter paint! The season is perfect for that baby. You do fine work Sir...

Members who have read this thread: 1