Betio Island latrine scenery objects request

Thread: Betio Island latrine scenery objects request

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 Betio Island latrine scenery objects request

Hiya once again guys,

The little piers with huts on the ends in these photos were latrines. There was probably one every hundred yards or so along Betio shoreline. Any takers?

The one in the center looks like it was probably an Officer's latrine. The ones on the left were probably much more the standard issue

Cheers,
    MR

"A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22 US Intelligence extimated Japanese troop strength by countin

Found this interesting little blurb on a website named Military Analysis.

Those American marines during the Second World War [WW2] assaulting the Japanese island stronghold fortress of Tarawa atoll [Betio island] KNOWING ALMOST PRECISELY THE NUMBER OF ADVERSARIES!

Aerial photo reconnaissance able to determine with precision the number of latrines as present on the island, Japanese doctrine as to hygienic facilities, number of latrines per troop strength known with exactness.

"Intelligence had estimated between 2,500 and 3,100 Japanese forces. Interestingly enough these calculations were derived from the number of latrines (toilets) the Japanese had built (the latrines were multi-holed wooden 'buildings' built over the water and clearly visible on aerial photographs). Even more interesting was that the estimated number was remarkable accurate! (The Japanese forces consisted of 2,619 combat troops. However, in addition there were 2,217 labor forces [impressed Koreans])"

Disposal of human waste in a safe and hygienic manner, excrement, vital to maintaining, especially in the tropics, the health of those present, disease from overcrowding and unsanitary conditions a greater threat and producing more casualties than mortal combat itself!!
    The explanation isn't too clear but bottom line is that apparently US intelligence somehow knew what Japanese doctrine was concerning number of latrines per troop number. Thus by counting the number of these latrines sticking out from the shoreline around Betio they were able to pretty accurately estimate the number of Japanese troops on Betio Island. They were able to get the hot poop so to speak.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Here is another taken from the Depauw University Website

The general's life is examined in a recently published book, David H. Shoup: A Warrior Against War. Mitchell adds, "Good with numbers, he excelled at staff work, where details really mattered. He accurately estimated the number of Japanese at Tarawa by counting the seats in the open-air latrines visible in aerial photos.
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

And another from the book "Bloody Tarawa" by Eric Hammel, et al. over at Google Books

Just trying to emphasize that latrine scenery objects for Betio Island are no laughing matter and the developer of such scenery objects could hold his head high!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

One more image

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Library Staff
    Hi Chris,

Have you seen No Dice's Vietnamese huts? There are a number of small huts built over the water with catwalks joining them to land.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VietHut3.jpg  

Damn! When I was in, an entrenching tool, a roll of toilet paper (in a plastic bag to keep it dry) and a short walk into the woods was all we needed and had.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Chris,

Have you seen No Dice's Vietnamese huts? There are a number of small huts built over the water with catwalks joining them to land.

Kevin
    Hiya Kevin.

Those might just do the trick. I am already using No Dice's Vietnam revetments in this scenery. They just fit a lot nicer into the scheme of things. I might already have those huts and just never realized what they were. Let me take a look.... yes! I have them. Excellent.

I'll give em a try.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Chris

BTW I have moved on over to Bonriki. Tarawa is slowly but surely taking shape.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Damn! When I was in, an entrenching tool, a roll of toilet paper (in a plastic bag to keep it dry) and a short walk into the woods was all we needed and had.
    Might do the trick once.

But if you are thousands on a small coral reef island for months, what do you think this would lead to?

very true.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post

I see you have told your kitties to never think outside the box.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Dang!!!!!

Clean that box before PETA goes after you !!

Question Reply...

Chris,

Thinking outside the box here, is there way to build the .dp with a proximity effect, so if you shot close enough, it would active Nibbio's oil slick to simulate someone being "surprised" on the latrine?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0