Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Rick, I've taken the A-12 out in P3D V4.4 and everything works, while I have the SDK, are you saying that PBR can be applied to an aircraft without modifying the aircraft mdl file?

If so that's great, would like to see what the bare metal A-12 would look like. Might give me some ideas for one of my two possible next projects, (U-2C)....
    Unfortunately, no. (Isn't it always the case!) The MDL must be modified with the PBR materials added. Even in my example above, the model itself is not exported correctly. The PBR is done correctly but I've messed up on some other things, giving me some transluscent areas inside the VC when viewed from outside. I'm sure it's something straight forward and simple that I simply didn't do in the conversion with MCX. However, my 3D modeling skills are not the same as my Texturing skills. So gman_5250 or another Modeler using PBR might need to answer your export questions. However, the A-12 is one that I'm longing to see with PBR!

I used MCX to convert an existing .mdl file. It would be much better to apply the settings in 3DS max and then export into the sim from the source file as gman has done with his test example.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    The PBR is done correctly but I've messed up on some other things, giving me some transluscent areas inside the VC when viewed from outside. I'm sure it's something straight forward and simple that I simply didn't do in the conversion with MCX.
    Rick, make sure you're using the very latest dev release of MCX. The first version with 4.4 PBR support had a bug that caused non-PBR materials to be exported with the wrong settings & showed up translucent.

Thanks DaveWG! I will look into that...hopefully fixes my issues!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Rick, make sure you're using the very latest dev release of MCX. The first version with 4.4 PBR support had a bug that caused non-PBR materials to be exported with the wrong settings & showed up translucent.
    thats what i seem to be getting as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Maybe now I'll try texturing metal again. My metal textures always looked like "super-glossy" gray-blue before. That looks brilliant Rick, both figuratively and literally.

I have one quick question now: Does the paint layer have it's own alpha separate from the metal layer/PBR layer that will only effect the paint? Or do we have to "cut out" (full black or white, I don't remember which way it works in P3D) the alpha where the metal is, and then vice versa to the PBR where the paint is? Or do you adjust the PBR for the different shine based on where metal or paint is, the same way we would adjust the alpha layer before based on if it was over metal or paint, etc.? Thanks.
    Sorry didn't answer this previously. You've probably looked into it already, but if not, the method for achieving the "look" has completely changed using PBR. The diffuse (called albedo) map alpha channel now has NO effect (when using PBR) on the textures. Everything is driven from the "metallic" map.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Just look at this impressive preview by LatinVFR

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by Montie View Post
    Just look at this impressive preview by LatinVFR

they have already released a PBR airport https://secure.simmarket.com/latinvf...v2-p3dv4.phtml

I bought back in NOV and got the PBR update when v4.4 was released, its a beautiful airport in PBR

My V4.3.29.25520 is working perfectly. I usually stay inside the cockpit and only use the locked spot and tower view to debrief my lousy landings.

I'm afraid if I take one step forward and upgrade to 4.4, something else will go awry.

Is it worth it for me to take the plunge for whatever benefit PBR offers?

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    My V4.3.29.25520 is working perfectly. I usually stay inside the cockpit and only use the locked spot and tower view to debrief my lousy landings.

I'm afraid if I take one step forward and upgrade to 4.4, something else will go awry.

Is it worth it for me to take the plunge for whatever benefit PBR offers?
    is it worth it? I say yes the updates fix and add new things, you might as well stay with FSX if you dont apply the fixes and new content

if you follow the instructions by LM, you cant go wrong

the fix and addition list for v4.4 for all 3 exes is quite substantial https://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/

That Scenery looks good, but I don't understand why the concrete and/or asphalt is reflecting the sun??? I'm assuming it's evenly covered in water/ice?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    That Scenery looks good, but I don't understand why the concrete and/or asphalt is reflecting the sun??? I'm assuming it's evenly covered in water/ice?
    Rick its a demo of pbr effects on a wet runway during a shower

Double post.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Strange on my end the video is not clear about the showers! No wonder I'm confused! Probably because I'm watching on my phone ...should have used PC monitor!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    is it worth it? I say yes the updates fix and add new things, you might as well stay with FSX if you dont apply the fixes and new content

if you follow the instructions by LM, you cant go wrong

the fix and addition list for v4.4 for all 3 exes is quite substantial https://www.prepar3d.com/latest-news/

Okay you talked me into updating.

I downloaded Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.4.16.27077.zip, Prepar3D_v4_SDK_Setup_4.4.16.27106.msi, and Prepar3D_Download_and_Install_Instructions_v4.pdf. I unzipped Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.4.16.27077.zip and double clicked Setup_Prepar3D.exe. The install commenced and took a little while to update everything. I installed over the existing P3D V4 version, I did not uninstall the previous version.

When I now open P3D and look at the "About" tab it still shows version 4.3.29.25520. When I open the Vehicle library, it still shows all lame Lockheed Martin Beeches and the Carenado A36 Bonanza. Is this right? Is this the new iteration with PBR?

Should I have run Install_Client.msi, Install_Content.msi, Install_Scenery.msi in addition to the Setup_Prepar3D.exe? Color me puzzled.

I did the update with the three *.msi files. I didn't have to delete the existing P3d application that way. To use the setup.exe I believe you must delete the entire previous version first. That will also remove any add-ons, I think. Using the msi's I still have my add-ons intact. About says 4.4.16.27077 and I have the Commander, C-130 and no Bonanza so I guess I did it correctly. Give it a try. It'll be worth it as PBR becomes de rigueur.

62stratfan

Quote Originally Posted by 62stratfan View Post
    I did the update with the three *.msi files. I didn't have to delete the existing P3d application that way. To use the setup.exe I believe you must delete the entire previous version first. That will also remove any add-ons, I think. Using the msi's I still have my add-ons intact. About says 4.4.16.27077 and I have the Commander, C-130 and no Bonanza so I guess I did it correctly. Give it a try. It'll be worth it as PBR becomes de rigueur.

62stratfan
    I uninstalled the Client and reinstalled it from the download and did the Content and Scenery. Now the "About" shows version 4.4.16.27077 but I still have the Beech aircraft and no "Commander" . I wonder what I did wrong?

BTW '65 Strat L-series here 3 color sunburst, about 95%. I had a hardtail '62 that I sold because the cosmetics weren't so nice. Now I appreciate the patina and authentic "road worn" look on it. Bad move but I was young.

Be sure you uninstall the Content and Scenery from the Add or Remove Programs feature in Windows first. It'll ask if you want to cancel, or something, your license. Say No to that. Then use the *.msi. Looks like you got the Client in OK. I wish LM would make updating a 1 click operation.

62stratfan

PS. I don't have any old stuff any more. I use a '12 Am Std CAR/RW Strat for live performance and it's just a joy to play. Fat '50s, 22 big frets, flat radius. Far and away my fav Strat. I had a '60 6120 in the '80s that I'd give almost anything to have back. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by 62stratfan View Post
    Be sure you uninstall the Content and Scenery from the Add or Remove Programs feature in Windows first. It'll ask if you want to cancel, or something, your license. Say No to that. Then use the *.msi. Looks like you got the Client in OK. I wish LM would make updating a 1 click operation.
    Many thanks for the advice and help! This sequence worked. Oddly enough I not only have the new aircraft but the update didn't dislodge the original Beech aircraft (not that I cared either way as I have the MilViz B55 for my Beech twin flying)

for the people who did install the scenery update, have you noticed the PBR effect on the generic autogen objects?

Im yet to do as I dont have the time just yet to reinstall some 3rd party files that overwrite the generic textures

the update didn't dislodge the original Beech
    Wow, good for you, Obie311. I wonder how that happened.

I haven't noticed a difference in autogen. Normally I have that turned off for a few more FPS. The only PBR asset I'm aware of is the native F-16. PBR has been a big thing with the railroad sim Trainz for about 6 months where most of the PBR assets are track, terrain textures and some ground effects. You can definitely see the difference. There's a very noticeable 3D effect.

62stratfan

After I made the upgrade, I noticed a significant increase in my FPS and general smoothness. The only negative for me is that I needed to re-install or reactivate most of my addon scenery and update some of my aircraft to take advantage of the PBR.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0