Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released

Blog Entries

Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released

Prepar3D V4.4 just released with full PBR support. Looks like I'll be doing a clean install...again.

From the P3D Latest News:

"A focal point of this release is the core rendering engine has been updated to fully support Physically Based Rendering (PBR) laying the groundwork for next-level realism and unparalleled graphical fidelity in a full earth simulator."
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I read the SDK last night. Looks like it's slightly different than DCS or War Thunder as far as how they use RGBA but the nice thing is all you need to do is swap locations of your various channels
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Very excited about this! Wondering what else they've changed!

Priller

Hoping LM will someday add self reflection as in War Thunder and iL2 Sturmovik. It's stunning to look at!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

So what do you boys think of the PBR effect as seen on the F-16 in v4.4 ?..... Does it cover your expectations ??...

Here's what *i* see on my machine about that after updating client and content to 4.4 :

Pretty bad, huh..... ( as in quite wonderful really )

Very curious about how other models will look with PBR activated.

Thanks for these big screens ! Finally I can see the effects of this PBR. Believe it or not, these are actually the very first screenshot I see about the 4.4 Falcon...

One question though: did they rebuild the VC model?
    The reason I ask: yesterday, I have tried this F-16 for the first time, in P3Dv4.3 (client is 4.4, but content is still 4.3), with a VR helmet.
    I realized that the virtual cockpit is too small ! It is made for a kid or some very small person, probably
    Basically, it's out of scale. Completely.
    Because of this, it's unusable in VR... I was hoping this plane would get some model update in 4.4, perhaps ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    So what do you boys think of the PBR effect as seen on the F-16 in v4.4 ?..... Does it cover your expectations ??...

Here's what *i* see on my machine about that after updating client and content to 4.4

Those are fantastic caps Jan. I'm going to be downloading tonight, then the install will take a couple of days to get everything plugged in. I've been converting all of my work to PBR for the last few months. This week I completely renovated my KBIH Easter Sierra Regional scenery to update the buildings and ground polys for full PBR. I've been focusing on this for quite a long time now, so I'm very excited to see the results.

Once the sim is up to full song, I'll shoot some caps and video of a full PBR scenery and one of my PBR aircraft.

Glad to see you share the enthusiasm I do for the PBR engine.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Thanks for these big screens ! Finally I can see the effects of this PBR. Believe it or not, these are actually the very first screenshot I see about the 4.4 Falcon...

One question though: did they rebuild the VC model?
    The reason I ask: yesterday, I have tried this F-16 for the first time, in P3Dv4.3 (client is 4.4, but content is still 4.3), with a VR helmet.
    I realized that the virtual cockpit is too small ! It is made for a kid or some very small person, probably
    Basically, it's out of scale. Completely.
    Because of this, it's unusable in VR... I was hoping this plane would get some model update in 4.4, perhaps ?
    Well, i'm certainly not an F-16 expert, Daube, but i don't have the feeling something is changed in the VC. I can't say i see much of PBR effects in the VC textures neither. Atleast not like i see it on the external textures. Certainly makes for extra realism, love it.

Then again, alas i still have never experienced anything in VR.... So i can't tell anything about that regarding the F-16 VC. I am very much looking forward to VR in our flightsims but i still feel it's not exactly the time yet. (Am i right ??.... ;-) ( and i probabely will need a new rig... )

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Those are fantastic caps Jan. I'm going to be downloading tonight, then the install will take a couple of days to get everything plugged in. I've been converting all of my work to PBR for the last few months. This week I completely renovated my KBIH Easter Sierra Regional scenery to update the buildings and ground polys for full PBR. I've been focusing on this for quite a long time now, so I'm very excited to see the results.

Once the sim is up to full song, I'll shoot some caps and video of a full PBR scenery and one of my PBR aircraft.
    That would be mighty interesting, Gordon, looking forward to it !

Can you explain a little about what PBR will mean to groundpoly's, Gordon ? Thanks! ( or skip that and just show us.... )

Glad to see you share the enthusiasm I do for the PBR engine.
    You bet !

It may not look like it just yet but i can maybe imagine it will turn out that PBR will have the same impact that reflectivity and specular light once had on our sim visual experience. Love it ! I'm sure there'll come a time we can't do without it anymore. ;-)

cheers,
    jan

Having just upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 and trying the F-16 both before and after I can't say I saw any differences in the VC, but I have also never tried VR.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Blog Entries
    Can you explain a little about what PBR will mean to groundpoly's, Gordon ? Thanks! ( or skip that and just show us.... )
    Probably the biggest thing will be the availability of specular and bump mapping on ground polys, but the entire process is going to become more intuitive. I haven't begun to work with the current SDK, and I think it will be a process learning how to use new features fully, but from what I have experimented with the last couple of years I would anticipate that ground polys and scenery objects will become as important as Virtual Cockpits.

Until now, developers have been limited to textures that they have created from photos, or Photoshop. Developing with PBR tools will change all of that. Suites like Quixel or Substance Painter let the developer create extremely complex and realistic textures for terrain, vegetation, structures and vehicles. For ground polys, an artist can tailor every square meter of ground to suit regional and seasonal requirements. The only limits are, of course, going to be the ability of the CPU and GPU to manage those assets, but that technology along with 64 bit platforms will improve with time.

My work has been focused in this area for at least three years, and my projects are ready for a full PBR engine....I hope. lol
    As soon as I am able to install the new P3D I'll know for sure.

I'll post up a couple of screens, and make a vid for the PBR thread. I'm sure there will be a lot to talk about.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gordon, specular and bump maps were already available in P3D for GPs, I believe also in v3.5. I’m sure though that now, if one uses PBR tools to develop them, the results would be much more impressive.

Lots of reading to do and your thread and videos are a great source.

Here's what *i* see on my machine about that after updating client and content to 4.4 :

Totally unrelated to the current topic, but relevant to those who will utilize PBR for aircraft texturing, and more specifically Military Aircraft. I have a real problem with artists who feel the need to "dirty up" the appearance of fighters as though by their very nature and type of role they play it will show how "used" they are.

After 26 years of working on Fighters, from the F-100 to the F-16 and many in between, there isn't a Crew Chief worth his salt that would allow his airplane to look like the ones depicted here. It makes no difference if it's here at home base or somewhere in some far flung desert base. Two things are always on their minds "Corrosion control and cleanliness". Airplanes are cleaned daily before and after sorties (wiped down, grease spots or fuel streaks eliminated. . .canopy transparencies wiped and polished intermittently). Aircraft also get a visit to the wash rack at predetermined intervals. CC's take great pride in maintaining "their airplane" and having it not only Combat ready at all times but also devoid of any corrosive sediment, oils, moisture etc.

So please consider what actual aircraft really look like when doing your repaints. Just because it's an airplane that's been in-service for 20 years, doesn't mean it's supposed to show that many layers of dirt.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

No disrespect to Crew Chiefs (or the Air Force), but those who operate from cushy land airbases (where the golf course is built before the runway...lol) don't appreciate that others have to operate from sea based carriers where wash racks and wide open maintenance spaces are not available. Most of the fresh water on a carrier goes toward drinking and showers, little is left for washing equipment and aircraft. Corrosion is accelerated by sea salt air (and the occasional splash over the rail).

Don't get me wrong, I really like the "look and smell of a new car", but, at least in the Navy, that "look and smell" didn't last long into the first cruise! Carry on!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Blog Entries
    Ed...I agree completely. The exceptions are WWII or WWI aircraft in theater, where they were used hard and put up wet. Even then they were maintained as well as could be expected. More contemporary aircraft would be maintained to as high a level as possible.

Dimus,

I actually used spec and bumps on the GPs in my ORBX Squamish project. Runway dirt, oil and cracks all had profiles that would create height and reflected light. Those aspects of that project were, for the most part, overlooked in all of the product reviews.

The problem is that the previous engines struggled with light rendering when it came to bump/alpha and spec/alpha combinations. In many cases specular reflection would change depending on the direction of the eyepoint, which created visual distortions of specular light in intersecting ground polys. Bump alphas would complicate those anomalies.

According to LM, the new engine will render light more correctly. What I am hoping for is to be able to construct a ground poly i.e. terminal parking area with oil stains, wear, reflective markings and cracks in the PBR software, then render those textures out to an engine that is capable of interpreting the various factors like gloss, height, metalness, ambient occlusion and specular light as they were built in.

Until now, I have been able to create lovely wear features and other aspects like water puddles in older P3D versions, but have had to "bake & fake" the textures for the previous rendering engines to represent those values. I won't know until I've had some time in the new SDK and in the sim, but I have high confidence that we are heading towards that ultimate moment when we can go from something like an Unreal engine, Quixel, SD, or 3DS Vray to virtual light, ray tracing, particle physics and the rest...in the sim. Other simulator games do it...I know LM certainly has the resources to make it happen. It remains to be seen what their vision is for their platform.

IMO
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Totally unrelated to the current topic, but relevant to those who will utilize PBR for aircraft texturing, and more specifically Military Aircraft. I have a real problem with artists who feel the need to "dirty up" the appearance of fighters as though by their very nature and type of role they play it will show how "used" they are.

After 26 years of working on Fighters, from the F-100 to the F-16 and many in between, there isn't a Crew Chief worth his salt that would allow his airplane to look like the ones depicted here. It makes no difference if it's here at home base or somewhere in some far flung desert base. Two things are always on their minds "Corrosion control and cleanliness". Airplanes are cleaned daily before and after sorties (wiped down, grease spots or fuel streaks eliminated. . .canopy transparencies wiped and polished intermittently). Aircraft also get a visit to the wash rack at predetermined intervals. CC's take great pride in maintaining "their airplane" and having it not only Combat ready at all times but also devoid of any corrosive sediment, oils, moisture etc.

So please consider what actual aircraft really look like when doing your repaints. Just because it's an airplane that's been in-service for 20 years, doesn't mean it's supposed to show that many layers of dirt.
    I agree Falcon. And to prove what you are saying, here is a pic of a Phantom of your unit

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I agree Falcon. And to prove what you are saying, here is a pic of a Phantom of your unit

Priller
    Yep, looks like a Hill AFB TDY probably. We Transitioned to the F-16's in 90-91'
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Yep, looks like a Hill AFB TDY probably. We Transitioned to the F-16's in 90-91'
    Ed , that is about the same time we at the 906th TFG at Wright Patterson transitioned from the F4's to the F-16'S .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Kevin Miller
    3D artist and developer (ACES)

Looks like Quixel materials work well. It seems like the PBR implantation is a bit basic, and I would LOVE more control over a few more things in the shader (like normal map power), but its "serviceable". Flight Sim World's PBR shader was much better overall, but this is still leaps and bounds above what FSX had.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/546140-playing-around-with-pbr-in-44/?_fromLogin=1

P3Dv4.4

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Probably the biggest thing will be the availability of specular and bump mapping on ground polys, but the entire process is going to become more intuitive. I haven't begun to work with the current SDK, and I think it will be a process learning how to use new features fully, but from what I have experimented with the last couple of years I would anticipate that ground polys and scenery objects will become as important as Virtual Cockpits.

Until now, developers have been limited to textures that they have created from photos, or Photoshop. Developing with PBR tools will change all of that. Suites like Quixel or Substance Painter let the developer create extremely complex and realistic textures for terrain, vegetation, structures and vehicles. For ground polys, an artist can tailor every square meter of ground to suit regional and seasonal requirements. The only limits are, of course, going to be the ability of the CPU and GPU to manage those assets, but that technology along with 64 bit platforms will improve with time.

My work has been focused in this area for at least three years, and my projects are ready for a full PBR engine....I hope. lol
    As soon as I am able to install the new P3D I'll know for sure.

I'll post up a couple of screens, and make a vid for the PBR thread. I'm sure there will be a lot to talk about.
    Very interesting, Gordon, thanks very much ! Yes, i'm sure these are going to be exiting times for P3D developers. "The sky is the limit" becoming more true each year. And i'm also sure we haven't seen nothing yet with the v4.4 F-16 when it comes to PBR.. ;-) I have a couple of models in the works myself so i'm going to follow everything PBR related with eagle eyes and have a go at it once i know how

Baz ( Barry, AH) says that the patch for the C-119 will include PBR textures. Not available here in Europe yet, sitting on the fence !

Thanks again, Gordon, looking forward to anything PBR related you'll come up with !

cheers,
    Jan

Drat! Here i was thinking i was getting a compliment for my screenies....

No worries, Ed, i'm sure you're right about sometimes too dirty jet aircraft textures in the sim. But don't forget that the screenshots here are particularly done to show the PBR effect in v4.4 and that the textures might not have been changed compared to the default ones. Could be like this F-16 in FSX or even P3Dv4.3 looks a lot less dirty.

But, hey, if you look for a RW dirty F-16 it's not like you can't find one... :

Obviouly hard at work in some conflict zone, no time for cleaning..

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Kevin Miller
    3D artist and developer (ACES)

Looks like Quixel materials work well. It seems like the PBR implantation is a bit basic, and I would LOVE more control over a few more things in the shader (like normal map power), but its "serviceable". Flight Sim World's PBR shader was much better overall, but this is still leaps and bounds above what FSX had.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/546140-playing-around-with-pbr-in-44/?_fromLogin=1

P3Dv4.4
    Very interesting, Ted ! Thanks for that !

cheers,
    Jan

He's going to provide a tutorial for converting Spec into PBR (manually) and a Quixel workflow for P3D. Also He will do a video later with a better explanation and break down the various components of the new metalness channel and how to properly use it.

Very interesting, Gordon, thanks very much ! Yes, i'm sure these are going to be exiting times for P3D developers. "The sky is the limit" becoming more true each year. And i'm also sure we haven't seen nothing yet with the v4.4 F-16 when it comes to PBR.. ;-) I have a couple of models in the works myself so i'm going to follow everything PBR related with eagle eyes and have a go at it once i know how

Baz ( Barry, AH) says that the patch for the C-119 will include PBR textures. Not available here in Europe yet, sitting on the fence !

Thanks again, Gordon, looking forward to anything PBR related you'll come up with !

cheers,
    Jan
    Jan, the Boxcar has always had PBR-style textures produced using PBR techniques. The SP does NOT have models created for PBR. That would require the 4.4 SDK which has only just been released and the models would have to be made for PBR materials and exported with the 4.4 SDK. So whilst SPV1.1 has PBR type textures, the models are definitely NOT PBR dedicated. Just some clarification there.

On a general note, as a developer I am becoming increasingly concerned over people's expectations with regard to "PBR". A model produced with PBR materials will NOT be backwards compatible. Therefore for a product to be useable in earlier versions of the sim, and also be dedicated for V4.4, it will not simply be a matter of conversion. It is highly likely that developers will charge for P3DV4.4 dedicated add-ons - the work required cannot simply be absorbed.

P3DV4.4 uses a 'type' of PBR, not the full bells and whistles one is used to in high-end computer games and nowhere near the results you get in DCS.

Looking at the F-16 shots posted here, the effect is nice but in my opinion, so far, no more than what a well-produced specular and normal channel would give you. Have a look at our Spitfire shown here. And the sim that screenshot was taken from? FSX.

It will be interesting to see what happens with PBR-dedicated and just what emerges and when.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpitSpec.jpg  

Which is the precise reason I did not upgrade the A2A stuff for P3D. Because my guess is that they are going to charge again for the v4.4 or they simply won't update them at all....which would be a silly move IMHO.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 0