Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prepar3D V4.4 with PBR Engine Released

That does look realistic! RTX would be next but I hope it's not a big hit in P3D. If LM does will defiantly get a second generation RTX card. Games look fantastic with RTX.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Blog Entries
    I ran across this. Wow....

As I'm working through the learning/understanding curve, it is becoming clear that we are moving to another level entirely.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

And more here ( don't forget to click the screenies) :

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...ainters-world/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I can't wait to redo the Milviz F-100 in PBR.....I've already got the whole conversion process laid out in my mind. So hopefully it will be a clean conversion with great results....whenever MV converts (If they do).
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Moving through the learning curve.

I used the 3D test model to set up a texture target map that I can refer to when I build different metal types. This model is based on a 50% gray albedo and a pure white to pure black metallic target. After exporting the model I used MCX to add environment reflections and Fresnel to the .mdl, and place the model in V4.4

I can view the model in real time, motion, weather and lighting, then pick the shade of albedo color I want.
    In the case of an aluminum, I can build the metal texture in Quixel Mixer or Substance Painter, then translate that texture to meet the gray value required for proper reflectivity and gloss.

After building the model I have a very comfortable understanding of the work flow, which I can translate to metal or painted aircraft, buildings, glass, ground polys and vegetation. Pretty trick.

For these screens I enabled Dynamic Reflections and Lighting. HDR enabled. Note the terrain and runway reflections. With weather enabled the clouds, shadows and lighting reflect in real time across the spheres as the clouds move across the sky.

To really appreciate the PBR material it should be viewed in motion. I'll put up a short video in the next day or two. In the meantime...

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I can't wait to redo the Milviz F-100 in PBR.....I've already got the whole conversion process laid out in my mind. So hopefully it will be a clean conversion with great results....whenever MV converts (If they do).
    That one and Jankees P-51s and the Milviz F-86...

Blog Entries
    Link to PBR materials in motion video.

https://www.brighteon.com/5981794166001

Just a quick no frills video of the PBR spheres in motion.

The texture is 50% gray with a grunge layer. PBR metalness & smoothness are 100% white to 100% black, corresponding from full shine to full dull. No Fresnel ramp or specular.
    The textures were generated in Quixel Mixer.

Thomas Jefferson

So the reflection is of actual environment....can it Self reflect? Do we know this yet Gordon? Something I didn't read yet...

Great video.

Gordon, the RGB brightness of the material color affects the look, so an aircraft aluminum might need to be in the 66% brightness range for a "real" look?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick i will send you a message in the next day or 2 via FB in ref to your dcs paints and pbr

Blog Entries
    So the reflection is of actual environment....can it Self reflect? Do we know this yet Gordon? Something I didn't read yet...

Great video.

Gordon, the RGB brightness of the material color affects the look, so an aircraft aluminum might need to be in the 66% brightness range for a "real" look?
    No reflection of aircraft yet Rick, but all sim objects, terrain and weather are live. Haven't checked avatars yet.

You are right about the aluminum...somewhere around 60-66% on the R and A layers. I'm working with the B-26K right now and started at 15% metalness. That's good for the R channel on a painted plane, but the A smoothness layer is about 5-8%, or nearly black as seen here. Pure black is too flat.

Last edited by gman5250; December 20th, 2018 at 04:48.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Rick i will send you a message in the next day or 2 via FB in ref to your dcs paints and pbr
    Copy that Matt.

@Gordon,

Looks like you're well into it! I'm going to get Quixel here soon. Will need your help again amigo!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Copy that Matt.

@Gordon,

Looks like you're well into it! I'm going to get Quixel here soon. Will need your help again amigo!
    Have a look at Substance Painter too Rick. For work at your level it might be worthwhile to have both, Quixel for convenient interface and SP for the high end details.
    As far as help...of course, whatever you need.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    No reflection of aircraft yet Rick, but all sim objects, terrain and weather are live. Haven't checked avatars yet.

You are right about the aluminum...somewhere around 60-66% on the R and A layers. I'm working with the B-26K right now and started at 15% metalness. That's good for the R channel on a painted plane, but the A smoothness layer is about 5-8%, or nearly black as seen here. Pure black is too flat.

[..]
    Gordon, since I made the textures for the A-26JK weapons in Quixel. I could make a second set of them, plugging the Quixel maps back into the models.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Gordon, since I made the textures for the A-26JK weapons in Quixel. I could make a second set of them, plugging the Quixel maps back into the models.

Cheers,
    Mark
    That would be fantastic Mark! TY sir.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Some preliminary shots of the B-26K in PBR basic polished metal skin.

This particular work is still very much at light study level. Acquiring a sense of the new medium will come naturally to most skinners. I can see how devs can build a PK that will do most of the heavy lifting, allowing the skinner to focus on the color work, leaving the metallic layers to develop the light.
    No specular layering (yet), just straight polished metal with average wear and tear. I can see where we are going once we get to full PBR...hopefully V5???

In motion this is a quantum step forward. The presence and realism are, to say the least, striking.

Thomas Jefferson

Finally got v4.4 installed. Taking a look through the SDK and then the files of the F16, the specular is still there? odd.....I thought that the Metallic file would have incorporated the Specularity? This is a deviation from how it's done in War thunder and DCS.

Gordon, shots look great! I just need a model that is PBR enabled to work on! LOL.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I think I've got some channels inverted, but MCX now support PBR. Converted the XF92 and just messing around for the first time...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I think I know what happened here....sleep traded for trying out the new toy, and not reloading the sim for proper texture reload. I think it was using a cached texture...looking forward to experimenting more when I get home.

Edit, just realized that I also didn't have dynamic Reflections on.....too excited, and I broke the whole thing! LOL

You can see that I have the incorrect spec loaded too.....wow, terrible first post! haha.... However, I think I'm understanding how it's working now in this sim vs. the other sims out there that I've painted for.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

actually....now that I'm reading through the SDK, for modeling side....I may have screwed up the conversion in MCX....I think I needed to set the Smoothness, and also need to alter the occlusion levels in the G channel....however my painted areas are super nice looking with the reflected sun...so My guess is that it was done right....more experimenting to do. Once it's dialed in, I'll be less scatter brained!

Also, only the Fuselage and wings have PBR materials applied....the vertical stab and all other parts do not.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Its all very pretty. However what sort of FPS killer are we introducing here? Just wondering. I for instance, have an older PC (i7-4770K 3.5 Ghz) and an GTX 1070 video card. How much impact will PBR have? In my settings I do not use dynamic reflections at all.

Why not get the updated C-119 and then you can download the free Phoenix which is available in PBR and non-PBR for the same sim. Then you could compare the rates. We are not seeing much difference in rates on testing the Heinkel in full PBR with dynamics running fine. Incidentally, your rig is actually better than our test rig.

PBR shouldn't have a perceivable impact. It's just a different way of rendering the graphics. Your system is better than mine (less GFX card) and I was using a 770 previously, with no issues in other PBR sims like DCS.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Running the B-26K in an extended flight over a control area where I know performance expectations.
    I'm seeing negligible, if any impact on performance. It's important to understand that PBR controls multiple parameters in the metallic layer...one texture sheet. This has the net effect of eliminating texture sheets that previously were required on some models.
    Last edited by gman5250; December 21st, 2018 at 16:51.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 1