Just Flight Avro Vulcan released! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Flight Avro Vulcan released!

..... anybody finding this Delta a handful when landing !?! No matter how hard one try's to keep the nose pointed at the runway, I'm finding that it wants to yaw big time. Have read the manual ... what am I missing ?? Noticed on another forum a fellow simmer was having the same issues.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    ..... anybody finding this Delta a handful when landing !?! No matter how hard one try's to keep the nose pointed at the runway, I'm finding that it wants to yaw big time. Have read the manual ... what am I missing ?? Noticed on another forum a fellow simmer was having the same issues.

Cheers
    Yes, it is a handful and so it should be, but a lot of the problem is likely just that it is 'different'! The aircraft has large control surfaces which are right at the back of the aircraft, it suffers with a large amount of adverse aileron yaw to the point where, at lower (and particularly circuit) speeds, you need to lead with the rudder. Push the rudder gently until the nose starts going in the direction you want and follow up then with the elevons in the roll sense. It may seem unusual and certainly not instinctive, but I have been in discussion with four Vulcan pilots (including a QFI) and they have been very specific in their description of the effect. It was also "a constant struggle to keep the rudder trimmed precisely", so you really need to be thinking rudder a lot more throughout than necessarily you would with other large jets.

Which other forum was this mentioned on? I'd rather make people aware than have them get frustrated with the odd handling!
    Cheers,
    Paul.

As a young airman in the late seventies and early eighties I had the oppuntunity to fly in the Vulcan. I was sat on the seventh seat, next to hatch, pilots on top. Nav Rad, Plot and AEO in the back and the crew chief in the sixth. In those days you didn’t quite buckle up as you should and there was not ban on electronics, mind you we didn’t have any! I would watch the pilots working, they worked hard on the landing phase, used a lot of rudder and we’re constantly moving the joystick while heads up. The aircraft would gently yaw and pitch all the way to the flare, gently but constant. I am a pilot in real-life, albeit light aircraft, but my goodness I would love to flown her.

This simulation is superb, the immersion is brilliant. I am using VR and gloves, and the wow factor is of the scale, perhaps becuse it beings back so many memories.

Happy days

According to the Pilot's Notes for the Vulcan B. Mk. 1A landings are described as straight forward with no mention of the aircraft wanting to yaw. Same can be said of the landing description from the Vulcan's Aircrew Manual. Without messing with the aircraft.cfg and airfile you might have a look at turning down the rudder response in the game.

If you'd like PM me and we'll have a look at possible remedies.

Given that this simulation is for the Vulcan B Mk2 and not the B Mk 1A, then there may well be a difference in the handling characteristics in the approach phase. The B MK 2 is significantly heavier with a greater wing area and more the or less the the same fin and fuselage. The Pilots Notes for the B Mk2, AP101B-1902-15 state that for high AUW, “directional control is poor in the approach configuration”. Moreover the pilots notes advice to limit bank angles to 15 degrees during the final approach. I am flying the circuit pattern as I get used to simulation and it seems to behave in the manner described in the Pilots Notes.

Just my experience so far, I am not a Vulcan pilot

Rgds

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    According to the Pilot's Notes for the Vulcan B. Mk. 1A landings are described as straight forward with no mention of the aircraft wanting to yaw.

The B1/B1A had conventional elevators and ailerons whereas the B2 had elevons, it also had a shorter wingspan and did not suffer as much from the adverse yaw. Totally different to the B2.

The following video shows experienced pilots flying the approach in the B2 and as you will see there is still a fair bit of yawing - it's one of the videos from the cockpit of XH558 (of which there are many) which were referred to frequently through the fde creation alongside discussion with the pilots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfalmDy9yUc

Cheers,
    Paul.

Awesome everybody, thank you for your comments ..... back to 5 mile finals, lots of rudder,easy on the stick

The other Simmer with the same concern was chatting in the Just Flight forum.

Cheers for now

Found in the Net:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Cheers
    Lots of rudder. That's a big BIG wing you're flapping about.

Get things lined up early.

Make sure on Finals you've only got to correct for tiny aberrations to drift and height. Any greater corrections will be summarily spat out by the flying Giant Bat with the Rollers engines.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying the Vulcan

It's been such a busy few months that I've not had time to respond on here personally like I usually would, but just a quick post to say that we've now updated the product details on our website to better reflect the level of functionality included in this aircraft (it was a bit sparse before). We have continued to add more functionality since release and will add more over the coming weeks (hopefully including PBR materials for P3D v4.4). We will also make a demo available.

Regarding pricing, it's a topic that we could write pages on but fundamentally it comes down to us needing to make a sufficient ROI on the product to make it worthwhile and to ultimately ensure our survival. I'm sure you can appreciate that the Vulcan is a complex aircraft and it took over a year to develop the product. Our pricing reflects that level of work, which was greater than one of our GA aircraft (typically £28) but no doubt much less than something like a PMDG 777. We think it's a fair price given the level of functionality, detail and man hours invested in it, but whether you consider it value for money is of course a matter of personal taste. I'd happily pay £60 for a fully functional Nimrod MR2 (unlikely to ever happen though!) but wouldn't be interesting in the best-ever helicopter even if it cost £15. We each have our own thresholds based on our interests/standards/means.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Glad You came back Martyn!

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just Flight has come out with version 1.03 with a bug or two to boot, lets call this work in progress ... just hope they tweak the "non exhaust" effect soon.

PS - have had one or two marginal landings with this ole girl since my last posting ... practice , practice !?@$!

Cheers

Ok dumb question, how do you close the flap at the back behind the rudder?

For the life of me I can't find how to close it

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Ok dumb question, how do you close the flap at the back behind the rudder?

For the life of me I can't find how to close it
    It's another bug, apparently. You'll have to wait for the patch for the patch.

The latest update fixes the issue with the brake parachute door. One danger of constantly adding new functionality is the risk of breaking existing functionality, as happened in this case.

https://support.justflight.com/suppo...mk-2-changelog

• Manual updated to reflect changes since release
    • Livery textures mismatch - fixed
    • External model options not initialising correctly when product installed outside of Prepar3D directory - fixed
    • External model shadow issue when viewed from cockpit - fixed
    • All eight elevon surfaces are now independently animated
    • PFC failures now affect control sensitivity
    • Alternator failure lamp logic fixed
    • Uncommanded brake parachute door opening above 170 KIAS - fixed
    • Radio altimeter OFF flag logic fixed
    • Fuel system logic fixes
    Apart from our on-going work to add PBR materials, the vast majority of extra functionality has now been added and the product page and manual have been updated accordingly.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn

Thank you for the continued work on this wonderful addon.

Found this video on the YT:

"Regarding pricing, it's a topic that we could write pages on but fundamentally it comes down to us needing to make a sufficient ROI on the product to make it worthwhile and to ultimately ensure our survival. I'm sure you can appreciate that the Vulcan is a complex aircraft and it took over a year to develop the product. Our pricing reflects that level of work, which was greater than one of our GA aircraft (typically £28) but no doubt much less than something like a PMDG 777. We think it's a fair price given the level of functionality, detail and man hours invested in it, but whether you consider it value for money is of course a matter of personal taste. I'd happily pay £60 for a fully functional Nimrod MR2 (unlikely to ever happen though!) but wouldn't be interested in the best-ever helicopter even if it cost £15. We each have our own thresholds based on our interests/standards/means."

If it wore 'Stars and Bars' there would be no quibbles re the cost.
    An outstanding rendition of an outstanding Cold War aircraft, and one which I find immensely enjoyable, even if it ended up the equivalent of A$100+.
    When do we get a Victor?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Curious if Just flight is going to address the disappearance of the exhaust smoke on a future update, anybody got some intel ?

Just not a Vulcan without it ....

Cheers
    Last edited by Aircanuck; January 7th, 2019 at 13:47.

Curious if Just flight is going to address the disappearance of the exhaust smoke on a future update, anybody got some intel ?

Just not a Vulcan without it ....

Cheers
    We're working on a new FPS friendly and more realistic smoke effect. We've sought outside expertise for this and that inevitably causes it to take longer than planned, but it is being worked on.

Regards
    Martyn
    Martyn

... good show !

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0