P3D Update Options

Thread: P3D Update Options

Blog Entries

P3D Update Options

Hi,
    With the release of P3D 4.4 I was wondering which of the installers need updating or do we need to update the whole program?

Thanks,
    Ian

Only the client is mandatory, but the rest are recommended.
    I'm doing a full clean install later.

if you read the update list

the only 2 things you really need is the client and content

if you only do the client, you wont get all the new features and aircraft fixes

If he upgrades the client only, he will get the new features.
    He will just miss the default aircrafts using these new features (the F-16 is the only one, though...).
    I would recommend updating only the client and the content.
    Also, be aware the 4.4 content does NOT include the Beechraft airplanes anymore, which means the Baron, the Kingair and the Carenado A36 will be gone. Not a great loss for the first two, but you might want to make a backup copy of the A36 (and its gauges too)

Also, you might want to check if any of your freeware aircrafts are using the default Baron or KingAir sounds by alias, or stuff like that.

Another alternative to keeping the A36 Bonanza, Carenado upgraded their payware A36 for P3Dv4. If you previously purchased
    the A36 for FSX, you are entitled to a free upgrade to the P3Dv4 version (you need to see the retailer you purchased from).

- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    If he upgrades the client only, he will get the new features.
    He will just miss the default aircrafts using these new features (the F-16 is the only one, though...).
    I would recommend updating only the client and the content.
    Also, be aware the 4.4 content does NOT include the Beechraft airplanes anymore, which means the Baron, the Kingair and the Carenado A36 will be gone. Not a great loss for the first two, but you might want to make a backup copy of the A36 (and its gauges too)

Also, you might want to check if any of your freeware aircrafts are using the default Baron or KingAir sounds by alias, or stuff like that.
    Prepar3D Content
    New Content
    AC11 Commander 114 user-selectable vehicle provided by Carenado.
    Indago UAS is now a user-selectable custom vehicle with auto-land capabilities, tracking camera, and custom UAV control scheme.
    Several large explosion effects.
    Generic torpedo weapon.
    Reintroduction of VEH_air_firetruck that was removed in a previous release.
    Generic 60ft Pusher Drone AI object with PBR textures.
    Drone 3 AI object with PBR textures.
    MHTK Launcher box AI object with PBR textures.
    S-97 AI object.
    81mm mortar weapon and launcher with PBR textures.
    Fixes and Improvements
    F-16 aircraft fully updated to PBR for both the interior and exterior models.
    Added example targeting pod to F-16 cockpits with controllable camera, IR sensor modes, zoom control, ground and entity targeting, and weapon target syncing.
    Tail numbers can now be modified on F-16s, C-130s, MH-60s, UH-60s, and CH-53s.
    Added laser weapons as an example to LCS variants.
    Added friendly names to F-16 controls.
    Added dynamic lighting to the F-16 afterburner.
    Added the new torpedo weapon to the Ohio Class Submarine AI object.
    Fixed texture errors on C-130 fuel tanks.
    Fixed flag textures on C-130s.
    Added RecordAndPlayback.xml file and necessary set/get functions for Driver ISimObjects. Updated/removed unused control mappings.
    Fixed ghosting tail number for 3 different F-16C variants.
    Slightly repositioned eyepoint in C-130.
    Updated MH-60s and UH-60s with animated Turn and Slip ball indicators.
    Updated the AC-130H gun effect so that it no longer lags behind the aircraft.
    Updated AC-130H gun effects and moved attach points.
    Fixed issue preventing Howitzer from firing in the correct direction
    Corrected several Desert Hawk 3 animations and materials.
    Additional tuning and stability updates for Desert Hawk 3 including improved waypoint following.
    Added pilot camera to Desert Hawk 3.
    Removed ground bump from Orion and SLS.
    Fixed typo in C-130 payload.
    Updated S-97 AI object animations and tuned contact points, lights, weapons, and various other properties.
    Added missing DesignSpecs section to various animals.
    Fixed crash seen by some users when opening the ACM panel in the P-38.
    Updated mouse pad textures in control towers.
    Removed all Beechcraft (Textron) related aircraft and scenarios.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies, in the end I did a complete re-install, seemed like the best way in the long run.

Thanks again,
    Ian

I installed the full new version over the top of my previous P3D 4.3. Getting a some problems now.

1. Sim seems to mix up night and day textures. I can fly over a region such as default Eglin AFB and have one tile thats night and another thats day.

2. Chaseplane doesnt work properly. Interior views of cockpit seem to work fine. But external views do not work at all. Camera stays centered in middle of the aircraft.

3. FPS seem to have dropped to mid teens. I was getting in the 30's before. Am wondering if I need to do a complete virgin install. That would suck given the gigs of scenery etc I have installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I installed the full new version over the top of my previous P3D 4.3. Getting a some problems now.

1. Sim seems to mix up night and day textures. I can fly over a region such as default Eglin AFB and have one tile thats night and another thats day.

2. Chaseplane doesnt work properly. Interior views of cockpit seem to work fine. But external views do not work at all. Camera stays centered in middle of the aircraft.

3. FPS seem to have dropped to mid teens. I was getting in the 30's before. Am wondering if I need to do a complete virgin install. That would suck given the gigs of scenery etc I have installed.
    Sorry to hear of the problems This is a good example of why we need to follow the upgrade instructions carefully. From what I have read there are two ways to upgrade successfully:

In the Windows Control Panel / Programs and Features window delete the P3D v4.3 Client and (if one desires complete upgrade) the P3D v4.3 Contents and Scenery installs. Then run the P3D v4.4 client, contents and scenery msi programs in that order. When you delete the client program be sure to retain your P3D program when asked. Otherwise you will need to verify the install with your login and password again.

The other option is to remove all P3D v4.3 references including the entry that say P3D v4 Professional in the Control Panel / Programs window and do a complete install from scratch.

There are other references to this here at SOH and for sure on the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D website.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Sorry to hear of the problems This is a good example of why we need to follow the upgrade instructions carefully. From what I have read there are two ways to upgrade successfully:

In the Windows Control Panel / Programs and Features window delete the P3D v4.3 Client and (if one desires complete upgrade) the P3D v4.3 Contents and Scenery installs. Then run the P3D v4.4 client, contents and scenery msi programs in that order. When you delete the client program be sure to retain your P3D program when asked. Otherwise you will need to verify the install with your login and password again.

The other option is to remove all P3D v4.3 references including the entry that say P3D v4 Professional in the Control Panel / Programs window and do a complete install from scratch.

There are other references to this here at SOH and for sure on the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D website.
    The issues I had with textures was fixed by an update of Orbx global vector. Chaseplane is still broken. Will wait for an update of PTA before I can apply my shaders.

My upgrade method worked ok.

Glad to hear it Eric! Using the method detailed by LM my first look showed what you described as several night textures during daytime. I did a rebuild of the scenery file and ran the Vector auto and all looks ok. So far no problems.

I just update Chaseplane to 1.0.19 which states it is P3D v4.4 compatible.
    Last edited by stovall; November 30th, 2018 at 20:33.

Question on Content update ?

Does the Content update require a reinstall of payware and freeware aircraft or does it only change or replace default aircraft ?
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Does the Content update require a reinstall of payware and freeware aircraft or does it only change or replace default aircraft ?
    All my payware and freeware aircraft remained unaffected. This is with the client, content and scenery update method.

I believe a clean install would make one start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    All my payware and freeware aircraft remained unaffected. This is with the client, content and scenery update method.

I believe a clean install would make one start from scratch.
    Thanks Tom for the information . You would think I would remember from one update to the next but I guess I'll blame it on my advancing age .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Tom, I uninstalled Client, Content and Scenery as recommended. Ran CCleaner, then a defrag and reboot. Then installed the new Client, next tried to install the Content but as it's completing the verification process it stops with an error message that it can't find a "cab" file. I get the same problem if I run the scenery.msi file. . .it seems to be looking for a "cab" file in the folder where my msi files are located. Never had this problem with previous updates.
    Last edited by stovall; December 1st, 2018 at 06:05.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Falcon, for the content you need to ensure you download three files: install_content.msi, cont1.cab and cont2.cab.
    The client needs only the install_client.msi, but the content needs also some cab files, just like the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Falcon, for the content you need to ensure you download three files: install_content.msi, cont1.cab and cont2.cab.
    The client needs only the install_client.msi, but the content needs also some cab files, just like the scenery.
    This is the first time I've updated anything other than the Client. Wish I had paid more attention to what I was getting into. . .as it is, by the time I download all the scenery cab files I may as well have done a full reinstall.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Thanks Tom for the information . You would think I would remember from one update to the next but I guess I'll blame it on my advancing age .

Rich
    Rich, you and I are in the same boat. You can check my age displayed in my posts. Fortunately I have a great friend named Roger Wilco 66 (Mark) who keeps me on track.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Tom, I uninstalled Client, Content and Scenery as recommended. Ran CCleaner, then a defrag and reboot. Then installed the new Client, next tried to install the Content but as it's completing the verification process it stops with an error message that it can't find a "cab" file. I get the same problem if I run the scenery.msi file. . .it seems to be looking for a "cab" file in the folder where my msi files are located. Never had this problem with previous updates.
    Ed, I have satellite Internet which despite their ad is slower than a snail at a road block. It took me two days for the full download which contains the cab files. I have done the client, content and scenery update for now but I know eventually I will do a clean install just to freshen things up. Glad you got things working.

Still trying to figure out what Gordon is talking about with the Physically Based Rendering. Sounds like something really cool especially when it was the first item mentioned on the update list by Lockheed Martin.

I am just starting the process now, I have downloaded the full package and am backing up my current P3D v4.3 folder (after moving the ORBX folder out).
    Next steps:
    - Full uninstall P3D4.3
    - Full reinstall P3D4.4
    - move ORBX back
    - Install Active Sky update
    - Fix aircraft titles (I hate that they are not human readable, P3D should go back to the FSX method of showing manufacturer/model/variant columns)
    - Reactivate ORBX
    - Explore the new world

Disappointed the Beech aircraft are leaving, the new A36 they included has become one of my favorite GA aircraft, supposed I could just buy it again from Caranado rather than what I am going to do which is copy it back out of the 4.3 backup folder but there are too many other Caranedo aircraft I want to buy first.

I am curious about the PBR features, my gut tells me its going to be much ado about nothing but I am trying to keep an open mind. From the LM update pages I have read it seams its going to have more of an impact on scenery than aircraft but time will tell.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Joe, back up the Beech Baron 58, Beech King Air and Caranado A36 Bonanza in P3D v4.3. They import perfectly into P3D v4.4.

If you do the Client, Content and Scenery msi install you will retain everything you had in V4.3 except the above aircraft. As mentioned after reinstalling back into v4.4 they work perfectly. Hope this helps.

I got it all up and running without much difficulty, if your going to re-install all three parts you might as well just install the main P3D application. As for the PBR here are two images which show the difference, both in the 4.4 client, here is the F16 from 4.3

Here is the F16 from 4.4

of course when every I see PBR written I usually first think of this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-12-1_11-0-43-544.jpg   2018-12-1_11-0-9-243.jpg   Red-Line-PBR.jpg  
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I'm certainly going to be making a backup copy of the entire sim before trying the update.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    . . . . .I am curious about the PBR features, my gut tells me its going to be much ado about nothing but I am trying to keep an open mind. From the LM update pages I have read it seams its going to have more of an impact on scenery than aircraft but time will tell.
    I think Gordon had posted a video quite some time ago showing the PBR process and the possibilities. I was quite impressive, but for the time being I think your observation is correct as far as the end user goes. . ."much ado about nothing" and your screenshots of the F-16 bear that out. However for developers (aircraft and scenery) the PBR process will open up almost unlimited possibilities. . .they are the ones most excited about it and eventually, as their creations filter down to us. . .the changes should be quite impressive.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0