RFN Tacan Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFN Tacan Question

RFN Tacan Question

Purchased P3D v4 11/22/18. Installed https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/8/203. Problem: Everything loads properly; but notice in top upper left corner the green line is not showing carrier information. The TCN and the ILS pointer is not active. The gauge is the new RFN TACAN v 5. The Rikoooo even installs the AICarrier.Net software.
    I have tried to connect with the developer in France but no luck. Readme file says to use forum. Forum says no new applications being taken. Appreciate any help.
    Cannot understand what picture 3 is asking. Getting to old I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 1.jpg   Picture 2.jpg   Picture 3.jpg  
    Last edited by hardlucksam; November 28th, 2018 at 15:26.

I'll bite....are you tuned to the correct carrier's TACAN frequency?

I don't know if this still applies but read post# 3 by PhantomTweak that explains TACAN use in AICarriers.net.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...AN-Frequencies
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

According to the aicarrier.cfg, I am. Please note middle picture.

I tend to fear Rickoo repackagings....

I suggest you download the latest version of the RFN Gauge from the original site. It contains a detailed documentation of the gauge in French (of course and in English.
    It contains in Appendix 7 all the frequencies assigned to the carriers.

http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....ations.htm#Gau

The Nimitz original is here

Dernière version du USS NIMITZ / IKE de Javier Fernandez sur Flightsim (uss_nimitz_ike_version2.zip). Recherchez le fichier en le notant dans la zone "nom de fichier" de la recherche avancée.
    Lattest version of USS NIMITZ / IKE from Javier Fernandez is on Flightsim. Search for filename 'uss_nimitz_ike_version2.zip'.

Hope it helps.

Gérard

Hi hardlucksam
    We have another same situation and we are looking for the problem.
    Be sure of the correct version of the gauge and all the correct lines in the panel.cfg
    Regards

First, which copy of RFN_CarrierGauge64.dll or RFN_CarrierGauge32.dll do you have installed? For P3D v4 and up, obviously, you need the 64 bit version, for P3D v3 and below, and FSX, you need the 32 bit version.

Second, do you tune the TCN on the RFN gauge and then place the carrier (in the desert??!?!?), or the other way round? Have you tried placing the carrier (in the desert??!?!?) with AICarriers menu, and then starting the RFN gauge and tuning it to the right TCN number? If it's already tuned, try changing it to another TCN channel, then back to 38X. Like try 27Y, then back, and see what happens.

Try also placing the carrier on the water, then slewing the plane out to someplace abaft the boat and about 800' AGL, then tune the TCN to the right channel. I won't swear the RFN gauge system will work correctly with the plane on the ground either. That why this suggestion.

Are you using the NIMITZ V2, version 6? It's labeled Launch Configuration. The title in the AICarriers menu is USS Nimitz (CVN68) Launch Configuration (single carrier) , or, if you are using the full formation of ships along with it, it's menu choice is USS Nimitz (CVN68) Launch Configuration & Fleet. That's the one that the RFN_Carrier.xml file is set to, for TCN 38X.
    To see an entire listing of the carriers the RFN gauges are set for, what frequencies they utilize, the glideslope, and so on, open the RFN_Carrier.xml file in NotePad, or, preferably, NotePad++.
    Addition ships can be added to this file, if you desire, by the way.

Just a short note on adding ships/formations to AICarriers menu: Don't add the .cfg file into the AICarriers.cfg file. Keep them separate. Use a separate .cfg file. Also, don't pile a thousand .cfg files in the conf.d folder. Use one or two .cfg files at a time, with the ships/formations you plan on using. Keep the rest in a separate folder, like a STORE folder under the conf.d folder. This method prevents the AICarriers menu, when you hit SHFT+J, from getting so long as to be unusable. Just using the .cfg file with the ships/formations you plan on using makes the AIC menu much more readily usable. You won't spend a lot of time searching through it for what you desire.

Let us know how things turn out
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Hi hardlucksam
    The same situation was due to a bad install.
    For FSX, FSX-SE, and P3Dv3 you must used gauge 32 bits.
    For P3Dv4, it is 64 bits.
    Have a look off your install in the panel config file and, please, let us know the result, for further same situations.

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewto...952679#p952679

Mr. MPNI, here is a copy of my T-45Cpanel. I do thank you for the link to the forum; but I cannot read French. Can this forum be translated into English using Google translate?
    I cannot find the version of the USS Nimitz_USS Eisenhower download. This is what it claims on the download page: Updated on 29/08/2017: Now 100% compatible with Prepar3D v1, v2, v3 and v4 + FSX, FSX-Steam Edition. Improved automatic installer, new version of AICarriers 2 (.NET) compatible with all the simulators mentioned above.
    And thank you all for trying to help me out. I really do appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-45C Panel.jpg  

OK all lines seem good.
    But, in the panel.cfg of the 2.83 version, there is no [Vcockpit01]
    The first Vcockpit is [Vcockpit02]
    I think Dino has some good reason to do that.
    Can you install another time the T45 and after the RFN Carrier Gauge?
    Last edited by mpni; November 30th, 2018 at 09:31.

I did double check the panel.cfg. I have a total of 5[Vcockpit01-05] settings in my download. Looking at the picture I presented, I do have a [Vcockpit01]. Many thanks again.
    I wanted to post this picture also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conf.d Folder.jpg  

First, we have to know if it is a problem with the RFN carrier gauge or with the installation.
    Can you try to install the RFN carrier gauge in another aircraft?
    Can you try to install the RFN Charles de Gaulle?
    Have you a contact on the CDG with the RFN carrier gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by hardlucksam View Post
    According to the aicarrier.cfg, I am. Please note middle picture.
    Ignore the aicarrier.cfg file. Use the tables in the back of the manual that came with the RFN gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by mpni View Post
    First, we have to know if it is a problem with the RFN carrier gauge or with the installation.
    1) Can you try to install the RFN carrier gauge in another aircraft?
    2) Can you try to install the RFN Charles de Gaulle?
    3) Have you a contact on the CDG with the RFN carrier gauge?
    Quote Originally Posted by mpni View Post
    1) Can you try to install the RFN carrier gauge in another aircraft?
    2) Can you try to install the RFN Charles de Gaulle?
    3) Have you a contact on the CDG with the RFN carrier gauge?
    1) I first used the default F-35A with the same problem
    2) Go to http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....reations.htmin Google. Select Translate Page.
    3) No download to click.

Think I found problem. Pay attention to both pictures. Problem 1 picture shows different formations, ships, and yet same frequency numbers. Problem 2 picture shows different frequency, 20X.
    I know I cannot have duplicate X or Y frequencies. How would I correct this mess?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem 2.jpg   Problem 1.jpg  

Think I found problem. Pay attention to both pictures. Problem 1 picture shows different formations, ships, and yet same frequency numbers. Problem 2 picture shows different frequency, 20X.
    I know I cannot have duplicate X or Y frequencies. How would I correct this mess?
    Hi,
    I think there is a missunderstanding between the tacan frequency shown into AI Carrier and the one used by the RFN Carrier Gauge.
    The Tacan freqs you shown in your screenshots are used by AI Carrier just for information and I don't know which frequency plan it is coming from?
    I guess it was added to show up the carrier name label to help simmers to remember its frequency but it is not synchronised with any tools or gauges... just label information to be shown up...

The RFN Gauge is using a xml file, RFN_Carrier.xml, to store the sim name of each models and its corresponding frequency : this xml file has nothing to deal with the .cfg file of AI Carrier.
    Note that the gauge is reading only this xml file, and no other files, to scan available AI ship objects!

In the RFN Gauge documentation you'll find a chart that shows you all the ship models managed by default by the gauge and the Tacan frequency we mapped to.
    You'll find in the different versions of Javier's carriers we had set.
    Regards,
    Sylvain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenShot377.jpg  

Sir; with all due respect: (in a joking tone) Both of these program were working (AICarriers and RFN Tacan) in FSX. Then I got a windows 10 update. Now the gauges stopped working in both FSX and P3Dv4. So now my favorite pastime has ended. No idea what reads what. Just want it to work again.

Sir; with all due respect: (in a joking tone) Both of these program were working (AICarriers and RFN Tacan) in FSX. Then I got a windows 10 update. Now the gauges stopped working in both FSX and P3Dv4. So now my favorite pastime has ended. No idea what reads what. Just want it to work again.
    Hi,
    As I said the gauge don't care about AI Carrier so there's no need to look at AI Carrier's configuration files.
    The screen shots you put show that the gauge don't find the RFN_Carrier.xml file which is the only one that content frequencies and ships models used by the gauge.
    I don't know what happened on your computer which could explain why the xml file is no longer found and/or used by the dll gauge? Any change in your installation ("RFN_Resources" folder is still in the "Gauges" folder ?)? No file corrupted by windows (RFN_Carrier.xml can still be opened for instance?)?

By default I suggest you to re-install dll and xml parameter files to overide the current ones.

Regards,
    S.

Note: the "RFN_CarrierGaugeXX.dll" file (32 or 64) must be in the same "gauges" folder as the "RFN_Resources" and "RFN_Sounds" folders.

Mr. Sparouty - you have solved my problem. I used a program called Search Everything. It is free. I typed RFN_Carrier.xml in the search box. Showed a copy found in D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\gauges\RFN_Resources. But when I physically went to the folder; there was no such xml found. So I copied from the search everything window and pasted into the RFN_Resources folder. Now my gauges work. Thanks to all of you guy's for the help and patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem Solved.jpg  

Mr. Sparouty - you have solved my problem.
    If anyone could help you it would be Sylvain Parouty. He created the RFN Carrier gauge.

RFN TACAN Gauge

Hallo,
    I am completely new to this community and I tried now four times to make my TACAN Gauge work. I have read all the descriptions of probable errors and can not get a clue.
    Checked every file and directory that is important for the function, but no joy.
    Although the frequencies laid down in the RFN_Carrier.xml and of the TACAN gauge are the same the program tells me that no carrier (CDG) or FCLP tuned.
    Can anybody state that the gauge still works after all the Miccisoft windows 10 updates ?
    Seems to me that the have killed the support of their own kind.
    Tried to contact Mr. Parouty directly but no joy.

Regards Hans.
    Last edited by PinkBaron; March 24th, 2019 at 02:04. Reason: Additional info.

Hi Hans
    I confirm that the gauge is OK with Windows 10 (1809 - 17763.379).
    Did you install RFN gauge 5.0?
    Did you install the correct version (64 for P3Dv4)?
    Regards
    Michel

RFN Tacan Gauge

Actually, I had a bit of difficulty with the gauges myself at first. As stated above; make sure you use either the 32 bit or the 64 bit.
    By chance; are you *assuming that all the ai carriers will show* in the menu? They will not. Go to http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.php?ind=downloads You will find some ai carriers. I also have questioned where all the carriers listed in the menu are found. No idea where they came from.
    This is my choice in the panel.cfg:

gauge00=RFN_CarrierGauge64!Close_Subpanel, 0, 2, 18, 18, c11501
    //--------- RFN TACAN NG -------
    gauge01=RFN_CarrierGauge64!Aircraft_Carrier_Indica tor_NG, 3, 0, 300, 310 <---New gauge
    //gauge02=RFN_CarrierGauge64!Radio_Tacan_Panel, 0, 311, 300, 110 <---use // to block old gauge
    //--------- RFN TACAN Classic -------
    //gauge01=RFN_CarrierGauge64!Aircraft_Carrier_Indica tor, 0, 0, 300, 310 <---use // to block new radio
    gauge02=RFN_CarrierGauge64!Radio_TACAN_ARN52B, 3, 311, 300, 100 <---Old radio
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBaron View Post
    Tried to contact Mr. Parouty directly but no joy.
    I'm in contact with Sylvain on a daily basis these days.
    I'm sure when he has time to stop by here he will address this thread.

Actually, I had a bit of difficulty with the gauges myself at first. As stated above; make sure you use either the 32 bit or the 64 bit.
    Since this is the P3Dv4 forum you should be using the 64-bit version file.

Here is one panel for the NG gauge.
    Code:
    //--------- RFN TACAN NG ---------------------------------------
    [Window02] 
    Background_color=0,0,0 
    size_mm=300,421
    pixel_size=300,421
    window_pos=0.0, 0.550
    visible=0
    alpha_blend=0.85
    sizeable=1
    type=special