The Flight of the Phoenix (by AH)

Thread: The Flight of the Phoenix (by AH)

The Flight of the Phoenix (by AH)

I never saw this movie (and didnt know it honestly):

Both version of this story was made, from 1965 and 2004.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

But see this :

So we got stuck in the desert...
    Coming soon to all current and future Boxcar owners with our compliments

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Exactly who's compliments, YoYo ?.... AH's ??......

Looks great !

And be sure to watch the original 'Flight of the Phoenix' with James Stewart, Richard Attenborough and Hardy Kruger. The remake isn't even half as good if you ask me.

" Now, start pulling Mister Dorfmann !! "

Would be a great tribute to Paul Mantz, most famous aerial filmer and photographer who didn't survive the crash with the original 'Phoenix' ( more shots of it were still needed so the unfortunate Phoenix contraption was replaced by an A-1 Skyraider ).

(btw, the aircraft that crashed in the original movie was not a C-119 Flying Boxcar but a Fairchild C-82 Packet..)

Awesome, it looks like fun. I remember the movies, but I like the sort of steampunk look of this newer version.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Best part of the film - watching James Stewart using those Kaufman cartridges to fire up the engine, driving Hardy Kruger crazy while doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Best part of the film - watching James Stewart using those Kaufman cartridges to fire up the engine, driving Hardy Kruger crazy while doing it!
    Yep... and how the last cart just BARELY got that engine lit.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Yep... and how the last cart just BARELY got that engine lit.

BB686
    Even a little more tense when Stewart said "Gonna kill the spark for this shot. This is to clear the cylinders." That drove everyone nuts and left only the last cartridge.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Aeroplane Heaven .

This will be a free gift to all current and future owners of the C-119. It's got a little way to go yet but we have a fully detailed VC with working features taken from the movie reference. We are working on the start procedure (and fail rate!) and the final will probably have an option for the characters on the wings as well as pilot and co-pilot in the rear. This is actually our test bed for V4.4 and PBR but it will be for all sims.

part of SP1.1 I presume?
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Looks great !

And be sure to watch the original 'Flight of the Phoenix' with James Stewart, Richard Attenborough and Hardy Kruger. The remake isn't even half as good if you ask me.

" Now, start pulling Mister Dorfmann !! "

Would be a great tribute to Paul Mantz, most famous aerial filmer and photographer who didn't survive the crash with the original 'Phoenix' ( more shots of it were still needed so the unfortunate Phoenix contraption was replaced by an A-1 Skyraider ).

(btw, the aircraft that crashed in the original movie was not a C-119 Flying Boxcar but a Fairchild C-82 Packet..)
    The airframe is slightly modified. We got rid of the stabiliser dorsal fin on the left boom ( in the original filme they took the left boom of the packet and sliced the right wing off ) and added an intake which doesnt exist on the boxcar. As for the gauges we can just see an RPM, switches a push button and a throttle lever/possible mixture primer so our thinking is that they wouldnt have radios/nav/VSI etc but only would have had engine monitoring so that's what we went with there. So in effect it's a packet-and-a-half.

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    part of SP1.1 I presume?
    It's not a patch it's an optional addition so it'll be it's own zip sitting in the download area.

SP wise we are just downloading V4.4 + SDK to test and then there will be a full build coming probably this week and our weeks include the weekend as well. Tis hot here and there are some cold beers that arent going to drink themselves you know

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Absolutely!

But the definite runner-up is the scene inside the plane where Mister Dorfmann informs Captain Towns and Lew Moran about his aircraft designs whereupon the latter two have to come to the inevitable conclusion that Dorfmann never designed real aeroplanes, 'just' aeroplane models..... The look on their faces is priceless.. https://youtu.be/1PrhC_l7RPo

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Aeroplane Heaven .
    Thanks,YoYo! Great to know and certainly very commendable ! I, for one, never thought we'd have a chance of virtually flying one of the most 'iconic icons' ever seen in aviation related movies. Thanks a lot, AH !!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    ...and the final will probably have an option for the characters on the wings as well as pilot and co-pilot in the rear.
    And don't forget the monkey ! Thanks very much, Barry !

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    The airframe is slightly modified. We got rid of the stabiliser dorsal fin on the left boom ( in the original filme they took the left boom of the packet and sliced the right wing off ) and added an intake which doesnt exist on the boxcar. As for the gauges we can just see an RPM, switches a push button and a throttle lever/possible mixture primer so our thinking is that they wouldnt have radios/nav/VSI etc but only would have had engine monitoring so that's what we went with there. So in effect it's a packet-and-a-half.
    Sounds great, P, who needs flight instruments and radios. We just wanna get outta there! Thanks ! Any chance for that cardridge starter contraption ?

( PS, not possible to have it sit on its tail like the original ?.... The skid struts could be a lot shorter then too.. (i know, i shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth... ;-))

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's not many devs would go to all that trouble for what is really little more than a bit of a joke, and then give it away.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Brings back flight sim memories. Still have this gem buried in a storage drive. Part of the C-82 Packet files.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely!

But the definite runner-up is the scene inside the plane where Mister Dorfmann informs Captain Towns and Lew Moran about his aircraft designs whereupon the latter two have to come to the inevitable conclusion that Dorfmann never designed real aeroplanes, 'just' aeroplane models..... The look on their faces is priceless.. https://youtu.be/1PrhC_l7RPo
    Sooooooo funny to watch. With them not understanding the same aerodynamic principles work for the real thing, and the imitation.

Long live Henson and Stringfellow!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there's not many devs would go to all that trouble for what is really little more than a bit of a joke, and then give it away.
    Ahh that's simple. We're having fun. We like making toys and it sounds odd but we like it when people are enjoying those toys. And it is to current customers so it's a thanks for supporting AH sort of thing.

The starter contraption is done. Stuck the movie dvd into the computer and screenshotted almost every frame! We're looking into making it a 3 attempts to start and then you'll either need ctrl+E ( and you should hang your head in shame ) or a reload to restart the count as for the bloke shouting about how you're wasting the cartridges... that's up to you. I'd recommend you do it when no-ones around though.

We thought about the monkey but our organic modelling isnt really up to scratch.

James Stewart is my all time favorite actor AND he was a American hero in my opinion. The original movie, starring Stewart, George Kennedy, and so many other great actors, is so outstanding. Nothing against Dennis Quaid, who is a fine actor in his own right, but with rare exception, remakes are not as good as the original. And in my opinion, one cannot improve on any performance by James Stewart! NC

Absolutely!

Another runner-up;
    From the book;
    ---
    Dorfmann and Towns glared at each other before Dorfmann asked the question;
    "Who is in control here Mister Towns?"

Moran closed his eyes and thought; "Here we are; this is it, life or death is in the answer. Life or death."

Towns looked down at the ground, then up at Dorfmann and said quietly; "You are."
    and Moran thought to himself; "Life. He's chosen life. We're going to live. We're going to finish building this aeroplane and get out of here."
    ---
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Members who have read this thread: 0