Fleet 50 - On the List Too
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleet 50 - On the List Too

Fleet 50 - On the List Too

There is some renewed interest in converting this one to FSX native so I have added to the list.

There are actually 3 engine versions of this one, the two more powerful never released.

This one comes in tundra wheels, floats, and ski versions.

I'll use this one as a filler project while I get the Avia series converted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-nov-28-001.jpg   ms-2018-nov-28-002.jpg   ms-2018-nov-28-003.jpg   ms-2018-nov-28-005.jpg   ms-2018-nov-28-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thank you Milton! I've always liked your Fleet 50. The Fleet 50 looks like it came out of a Betty Boop cartoon.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IFlySWA View Post
    Thank you Milton! I've always liked your Fleet 50. The Fleet 50 looks like it came out of a Betty Boop cartoon.

Brian
    Indeed,

It's a fun aircraft, gets into and out of small places, backwoods dirt strips and water access ways. I like to fly the many small airports in the western parts (west of Rockies) of British Columbia. Lots of fun, small, sometimes challenging, and scenic airports within 15-25 minutes of each other. The sscenery of course is awesome in the mountainous areas.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

It'll be neat to see this old thing up in the FSX skies.

I hadn't noticed (or had forgotten?) that only the Jake engine'd model was released.

Back Country fliers would certainly enjoy the Pratt & Whitney powered variant. You're getting straight into Antonov territory with that (what-if) aircraft, but with Transport Canada Certificate in hand.

Bring vice-grips, duct tape, a tube of silicone, and a dope/cloth repair kit. (Plus warm clothes, bug spray, some sandwiches and a bear gun....)

.....And fishing rod & tackle box.

Didn't somebody do a repaint series of each (real) aircraft that had actually been built, sold & operated...?

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    It'll be neat to see this old thing up in the FSX skies.

I hadn't noticed (or had forgotten?) that only the Jake engine'd model was released.

Back Country fliers would certainly enjoy the Pratt & Whitney powered variant. You're getting straight into Antonov territory with that (what-if) aircraft, but with Transport Canada Certificate in hand.

Bring vice-grips, duct tape, a tube of silicone, and a dope/cloth repair kit. (Plus warm clothes, bug spray, some sandwiches and a bear gun....)

.....And fishing rod & tackle box.

Didn't somebody do a repaint series of each (real) aircraft that had actually been built, sold & operated...?
    Magoo, you nailed it with those comments. :-)

Your memory serves you well. The other two engine variants (PW985 and Wright R-760E) were not released, and the Jacob variant was released as a base project for others to complete. No original paint scheme was released. The CF-BJT is the only one I have.

EDIT: Forgot the other part of your comments. GJSmith did a whole album of paints for this after release. Bunches, too many to count. Great stuff!

Here is the info I have in the docs folder:

Thanks to John Smith and James Banks and to the
    Canada Aviation Museum for assistance with articles and data.

Copyrights and credits:

This FS2004 flight simulation aircraft is designed by Milton Shupe, panel by Milton Shupe, textures by Gordon Madison, and flight model by James Banks. There may be other copyright files by other authors denoted in their respective readme's.

Model Designer : Milton Shupe
    Flight Model : James Banks
    Technical Data : John Smith, James Banks, Doug Woon, Canadian Aviation Museum
    Tested : Team Members, J. Eric Payne, Doug Woon,
    Panel : panel textures by Gordon
    XML Gauges : Copyright gauges by Microsoft

Major Textures : Exterior and Interior VC textures Copyright by Gordon Madison
    Paint Kit : Copyright by .....
    Sounds : James Banks and Nigel Richards
    Special Effects : Copyrights by Microsoft, some mods by M. Shupe
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Oh, here;s a screen shot I found as well. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tundra.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Oh, I found another of the original paint schemes. I think you, James, or Gordon did this. I thought there was another too but do not see it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-nov-30-001.jpg   ms-2018-nov-30-002.jpg   ms-2018-nov-30-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's definitely the kind of filler I like! That's so cool that you are updating this, thanks.

I did a few paint schemes for the Fleet 50, cant remember why they were never released to the normal sites.

They can be found and download from https://arpaints.weebly.com/fleet-50k.html
    www.arpaints.weebly.com

YES.....Andre19.....THOSE are the paints that I remembered.

Thank you for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre19 View Post
    I did a few paint schemes for the Fleet 50, cant remember why they were never released to the normal sites.

They can be found and download from https://arpaints.weebly.com/fleet-50k.html
    Andre, frankly I had forgotten all about your work on this. Thank you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Goody ! Another Shupe masterpiece!

Thanks for your comments.

Andre and I have partnered up to convert the Fleet 50 packages to FSX native.
    He did the original authentically documented liveries for each of the produced aircraft.

I will try to get all three engine performance sets done with tundra tires, skis, and floats for each, along with some upgrades.

I started the conversion this morning and hope to have Andre at least one model to work with in two days.
    The wheels, skis, and floats are the main differences, but the PW985 engines make up the third engine type with nacelle differences.

I also intend to add a passenger version to the mix.

Enuf talk; time for action :-)

EDIT: added some reference pics before conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-dec-4-008.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-009.jpg   ms-2018-dec-4-010.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 4th, 2018 at 09:00. Reason: add pics
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Now that's my kind of cargo.

SOH-CM-2020
    Another one of my favorites

Round engines, tailwheel & cargo ….. what more could you ask for

Thank you Milton & Team

Pete.

Round engines, tailwheel & cargo ….. what more could you ask for...
    Couldn't agree more. I never even HEARD of this plane before... I like it! Thanks for bringing it into FSX!

Fleet 50
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    50 Freighter
    Role General utility aircraft
    Manufacturer Fleet Aircraft
    First flight 1938
    Number built 5
    The Fleet 50 Freighter was a twin-engine biplane Canadian general utility aircraft designed and built by Fleet Aircraft. This peculiar-looking aircraft had promise as a freighter and general use aircraft, but it was underpowered and only five were built.

Development
    Design was started in 1936 to create a general purpose twin-engined utility aircraft for the Canadian market. It was designed as a short take-off freighter with features added to ease cargo handling. The Freighter was a biplane with the lower wing an inverted gull wing with either a float or wheel landing gear. Two radial piston engines were mounted in nacelles on the upper wing panels.

The fuselage structure was welded steel tubing with duralumin formers, and a semi-monocoque duralumin nose section. The wings were stressed-skin metal structure on the inboard panels and fabric-covered wood beams and duralumin ribs on the outboard panels. The fuselage had room for two crew and up to ten passengers. Large doors and a roof-mounted chain hoist were fitted for use in the cargo role.

The prototype designated the 50J first flew on 22 February 1938, powered by two 285 hp (213 kW) Jacobs L-5MB 7-cylinder radial engines. It was later re-engined with 330 hp Jacobs L-6MB engines and re-designated the 50K. A further four aircraft were built, all with L-6MB engines.

None of the aircraft was operated for long, as the design was underpowered and could not maintain altitude on only one engine.

Specifications (50K landplane)
    Data from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985), 1985, Orbis Publishing, Page 1817

General characteristics

Crew: 2
    Capacity: 10 passengers or freight
    Length: 36 ft 0 in (10.97 m)
    Wingspan: 45 ft 0 in (13.72 m)
    Height: 13 ft 1 in (3.99 m)
    Wing area: 528 ft² (49.05 m²)
    Empty weight: 4600 lb (2087 kg)
    Gross weight: 8326 lb (3777 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × Jacobs L-6MB 7-cylinder radial engine, 330 hp (246 kW) each
    Performance

Maximum speed: 150 mph (241 km/h)
    Range: 650 miles (1046 km)
    Service ceiling: 15,000 ft (4570 m)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). London: Orbis Publishing, 1985, p. 1817.

Design was started in 1936 to create a general purpose twin-engined utility aircraft for the Canadian market. It was designed as a short take-off freighter with features added to ease cargo handling. The Freighter was a biplane with the lower wing an inverted gull wing with either a float or wheel landing gear. Two radial piston engines were mounted in nacelles on the upper wing panels.
    The fuselage structure was welded steel tubing with duralumin formers, and a semi-monocoque duralumin nose section. The wings were stressed-skin metal structure on the inboard panels and fabric-covered wood beams and duralumin ribs on the outboard panels. The fuselage had room for two crew and up to ten passengers. Large doors and a roof-mounted chain hoist were fitted for use in the cargo role.
    The prototype designated the 50J first flew on 22 February 1938, powered by two 285 hp (213 kW) Jacobs L-5MB 7-cylinder radial engines. It was later re-engined with 330 hp Jacobs L-6MB engines and re-designated the 50K. A further four aircraft were built, all with L-6MB engines.
    None of the aircraft was operated for long, as the design was underpowered and could not maintain altitude on only one engine. The last aircraft went out of service in 1946. The remains of one airframe are held by the Canada Aviation and Space Museum.

The Fleet 50 was planned as a twin-engine transport for use in the north. It was designed to be strong, and easy to maintain, able to handle bulky, awkward loads. Rugged simplicity was to be its essence. Only five were built. The advent of Second World War and a few misfortunes, such as one Freighter burning to the ground during a demonstration in Chicago, doomed this interesting bush plane to a short career. The last two ended their flying days in 1946.
    Although there were complaints about its lack of power, the Freighter was valued for its ability to handle oversized loads. A nose-door opened to expose an unobstructed compartment running the length of the fuselage underneath the cockpit and the cargo floor. Nose-loading cargo planes became common in later years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jake.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I have finally worked my way thru the model conversions for the tundra, skis, floats, and the 3 engine types for each set.
    I think I have all the cfgs and panels sorted now, so just need to go through and evaluate everything, see what needs to be done.

Andre is working to complete the basic texture sets and should have that done soon.

This is a really fun aircraft to enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f50.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Looks great Milton,

BTW: Any chance of an FSX native version of HMS Bounty in the future?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Looks great Milton,

BTW: Any chance of an FSX native version of HMS Bounty in the future?
    Yes, but can you tell me why this would be better than the port over version?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Yes, but can you tell me why this would be better than the port over version?
    There are port overs available?

I have tried the 1.2 'FSX' version on the SOH library but the actual model within it is a FS9 model.
    Joe Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    There are port overs available?

I have tried the 1.2 'FSX' version on the SOH library but the actual model within it is a FS9 model.
    Uh, yes. That's what port overs are. In this case, the FS9 model is supported by FSX specific coding.

My question still stands: what do you hope the FSX native model will give you that the port over does not.

The reason I ask is even if converted to native, there is little I can do to improve on the package.
    I have no one to upgrade textures with bump maps. And that is the only thing I see that could possibly add some value to the package.
    Frame rates here are great on my 10 year old system. Just have not heard any complaints about frame rates in FSX with this.

The effort to convert to native will be massive due to the complexities, over 1000 lines of custom FS9 xml to be converted, hundreds of animations to be converted, etc. The benefits IMO do not warrant such a huge effort to convert.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Uh, yes. That's what port overs are. In this case, the FS9 model is supported by FSX specific coding.

My question still stands: what do you hope the FSX native model will give you that the port over does not.

The reason I ask is even if converted to native, there is little I can do to improve on the package.
    I have no one to upgrade textures with bump maps. And that is the only thing I see that could possibly add some value to the package.
    Frame rates here are great on my 10 year old system. Just have not heard any complaints about frame rates in FSX with this.

The effort to convert to native will be massive due to the complexities, over 1000 lines of custom FS9 xml to be converted, hundreds of animations to be converted, etc. The benefits IMO do not warrant such a huge effort to convert.
    well to be honest it’s so it can be used in P3Dv4, it seams all the good sailing ships are FS9 and don’t work there. But give the effort you describe I withdraw the question
    Joe Cusick

Well, that's the best reason IMO ... I had forgotten P3D V4+.

I will converse with Rob Barendregt who did the custom programming that made "wind sailing" possible to see when he might be available for the project.

I have three projects active on my desk at the moment so maybe Spring - early Summer would be possible.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Wow, it's rare to run across an airplane I've never heard at this point in my life. I feel better knowing there were only five ever built.

Some more info on it, including the sole survivor in sad condition:

https://ingeniumcanada.org/aviation/...-freighter.php

Looks like there's a shot of the RCAF camo version here:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft26477.htm

This looks really cool. Thanks, Milton!

Members who have read this thread: 0