Douglas C-47 Skytrain Video

Thread: Douglas C-47 Skytrain Video

Douglas C-47 Skytrain Video

Manfred Jahn's wonderful C-47 in a stormy flight over the Panama Canal.

(Low spec equipment so be warned - not incredible HD)

Just for fun!

Hope you enjoy.

Enjoyed it. Very pleasant voiceover commentary.

For bad weather such as that, or worse, I guess one could really use some navigational help such as what they had decades ago, in the days before ILS and GPS ... ... name escapes me for the moment... hang on...

Thanks for the comments!

If I was flying anywhere where I had less ground features for VFR I probably wouldn't fly in that weather. As it is the Canal gives good reference...and I can always ditch since it's only a simulation! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post

For bad weather such as that, or worse, I guess one could really use some navigational help such as what they had decades ago, in the days before ILS and GPS ... ... name escapes me for the moment... hang on...
    Any chance you are thinking of LORAN?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce66 View Post

Manfred Jahn's wonderful C-47 in a stormy flight over the Panama Canal.

(Low spec equipment so be warned - not incredible HD)

Just for fun!

Hope you enjoy.
    Enjoyed the video; not to hijack your thread, I was intrigued by the background music, which your music credits lead me to discover an instrument I never heard
    of before. The "Chapman stick", a relatively new instrument and a little bazzar looking; looks like something that came from the band in the star wars movie.
    For anyone interested in additional info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_Stick

Grey Eagle

I am intrigued how you linked the Chapman Stick to Dab Hands. I have heard of the Chapman Stick but never played one. Dab Hands was my modern jazz trio - double bass, Dobro guitar and vibraphones. We recorded these tracks live about 20 years ago. It is possible someone else has appropriated the name since we disbanded. The bass player and percussionist are now in a band called Zen Bicycle and are still performing.

Being a live recording the sound balance isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce66 View Post
    Grey Eagle

I am intrigued how you linked the Chapman Stick to Dab Hands. I have heard of the Chapman Stick but never played one. Dab Hands was my modern jazz trio - double bass, Dobro guitar and vibraphones. We recorded these tracks live about 20 years ago. It is possible someone else has appropriated the name since we disbanded. The bass player and percussionist are now in a band called Zen Bicycle and are still performing.

Being a live recording the sound balance isn't ideal.
    When I heard other jazz melodies played on it, I got to wondering if the stick was used to play the bass intro to the Seinfeld TV show?
    Here is one video I watched today:

Wow, that was amazing.

And an excellent example of why I post flight videos on YouTube and not music videos. Ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Any chance you are thinking of LORAN?
    Perhaps Lorenz or Standard Beam Approach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenz_beam

Errr ... not what I had in mind ... but watch this space.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely loved this...thanks for posting it!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Absolutely loved this...thanks for posting it!
    Ted
    Glad you liked it! Thanks. :-)
    The Sky is the Limit
    The ground is just an unfortunate inconvenience!

Members who have read this thread: 0