Orbx Vector

Thread: Orbx Vector

Orbx Vector

Orbx are having an end of year sale with 45% off Vector. I am running FSX with FTX Global, EU England and PNW, which are my most flown regions. Do I want Vector?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I got Vector a while ago having been on the fence about it, and found it made a great difference to coastlines in FTX Global areas. But I don’t run it at full settings because of the framerate hit.

If you fly within the regions like PNW, Vector does nothing for you. But it's an amazing improvement to the rest of the world, especially if you like to navigate visually.

When I started old school island hopping in the pacific with dead reckoning and celestial nav, I realized quickly that the depiction of the islands was terrible. They were actually in the wrong place, and many were missing altogether. Vector fixed that... Places like Midway and Wake are now located correctly so I can navigate with real charts (Google earth), and they're so accurately depicted I can find exactly where the old Pan Am clippers docked. Even minor rocks are there... It's possible to follow the minor Hawaiian Islands out to Midway, every one is correctly located. Makes a huge difference inland with rivers too.

So, it depends what you like to do. But if you like to navigate by pilotage outside of the main ORBX areas, Vector is pretty great.

Thank you both. I do like low and slow in the GAS Stearman and A2A Cub, and I do have Orbx Nantucket and Plum Island, and some of Falcon409's US East Coast airfields, where it might make a difference. This needs Further Thought.

I agree wholeheartedly with StearmanDriver. I do similar flying, generally in vintage flying boats andit is and has mostly been the Pacific. Accurate coastlines are very important to me as I build flying boat bases and add them into the scenery as I move around the world. Vector fixed all those terrible errors in FSX re coastlines etc. For example Fiji a large chain of islands was distorted and seriously out of whack but Vector fixed that, similarly for other places. I am now exploring the Indian Ocean Region etc and find again that it is pretty accurate as the UK is as well. I can highly recommend it. In addition it has this great tool Vector Configurator which fixes up altitude errors for aerodromes all over the planet and brings third party addons into line very well, I no longer suffer from weird canyons or other similar glitches with scenery thanks to that tool alone. It does other stuff as well. I would agree it is probably superflous for areas that Orbx has covered well all ready but for the rest it is worthwhile.

I have not noticed any frame rate overhead but then again it all depends on your scenery settings in FSX.

At the price a bargain and a worthwhile addition to your FSX world. Which I will be staying in for much longer as well I guess it is now stable, runs smoothly and no more changes. Everytime I look at the continous changes to P3D or X-Plane it gives me the horrors. I am over continuous updates on everything at the moment. Off topic I know, sorry.

Vector is a must....

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Vector is a must....

Agreed - if you are flying outside a "full fat" region. If all you do is fly in the PNW and England then Vector, Landclass etc are a waste of money but if you spend any time outside your full fat regions then absolutely grab Vector and the open LC packages while they are on sale.

I have all the North American, Australian and UK "full fat" regions and was always disappointed flying outside them until I got Global, Vector and the LC packages.

Gavin

thinking about it a bit - if you spend most of your time in PNW then you might be better off spending your pennies on an adjoining region like Pacific Fjords. Then pop over to Return to Misty Moorings where they have lots of enhancements for the Orbx scenery from Alaska down to the PNW region.
    Last edited by gavinc; November 23rd, 2018 at 15:03. Reason: thinking about it

Thank you. Would it be right to say, then, that Global + Vector = worldwide "full fat" but without the airfield upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Thank you. Would it be right to say, then, that Global + Vector = worldwide "full fat" but without the airfield upgrades?
    And - I think, I'm not an expert - without updated mesh, meaning higher fidelity terrain. Though I've gotta say, from flying through the Hawaiian islands and other places I've flown in real life, the terrain is still quite good. Features like Diamond Head, Koko Head, Haleakala etc are plenty recognizable.

Fan of Orbx...Global, Vector, Regions, airports, own a lot of them and what an improvement for P3D.... Keep buying itens when with a discount.

Just reinstalled P3D on a SSD drive, tested it "clean" and then with all of my Orbx. What a difference! A drop on FPS but is well worth it.

You probably know this but you can install Orbx free airport upgrades esp for US and Europe for use outside the Full Fat Regions
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...9648961919&z=3
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Thank you all. yes, I have those airfields installed. It looks like I'll have to take the plunge, doesn't it?

David

Members who have read this thread: 0