AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released

Just a heads up. The AH C-119 Flying Boxcar has been released and is available here: https://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/product_boxcar.php.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Heads up to everyone. At this moment the Sellfy vendor server for AH is down and will be for the next 12 hours or so. This means if you buy the model during the temporary outage of Sellfy, you won't be able to download it. I bought the model at around 6:30pm EST and ran into the message from Sellfy that they were doing maintenance on their servers. AH informed me of the situation after I sent a message to their help desk. It is beyond their control at the moment and is NOT their fault. Myself and others have expressed our concerns to Sellfy directly that for them to take their servers offline for maintenance unannounced when a company is launching a product is very poor form (and in my own opinion, not very professional). I really hate it for AH to have this happen on a product launch. We have waited this long for the C-119, another half day of patience I am certain will be well rewarded.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update, the Sellfy server issue now seems to be fixed, the C-119 download system for customers is good to go. The Boxcar is a beautiful model, worth every penny of the already good price!
    My first flight screen shots:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks byrant for the posts ive been pondering about this and will look at having a closer look when its on the justflight site

I've been waiting for this one too. Waited out the store isses last night, and bought and downloaded this morning (after disabling virus protection). The airplane looks great.

Unfortunately, at all times, the airplane heavily rolls to the left, and won't fly hands off...at first I thought "Torque?", then pulled the throttles to idle and the roll continues. So, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and restarted the computer, and it still rolls to the left. Also am having a hard time getting the rear paratroop door to close, but I've only quickly reviewed the manual, so I've likely missed something there.

Question: Is it possible that my download could have gotten corrupted, and that I need to re-download? This is too obvious of an issue to have been overlooked in beta testing, so I'm guessing the issue is on my end.

Can't wait to see the repaints on this one, though....

Thanks,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    I've been waiting for this one too. Waited out the store isses last night, and bought and downloaded this morning (after disabling virus protection). The airplane looks great.

Unfortunately, at all times, the airplane heavily rolls to the left, and won't fly hands off...at first I thought "Torque?", then pulled the throttles to idle and the roll continues. So, I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, and restarted the computer, and it still rolls to the left. Also am having a hard time getting the rear paratroop door to close, but I've only quickly reviewed the manual, so I've likely missed something there.

Question: Is it possible that my download could have gotten corrupted, and that I need to re-download? This is too obvious of an issue to have been overlooked in beta testing, so I'm guessing the issue is on my end.

Can't wait to see the repaints on this one, though....

Thanks,

Kent
    Just a quick thought, did you check the fuel and payload loading? Maybe only the left tanks were filled up? Just a thought. Having said that, I have had planes from other makers that did the same thing for no reason I could ever discern.

***EDIT****

I have found the problem...and it is IS on my end...somehow, the install didn't agree with my joystick calibration. Recalibrated, and it works! Loving it.

Old post:

Yes, I checked fuel loading as well-- forgot to metion that. Fuel loading was equal across the wings.

And I've also unistalled again, turned UAC to LOW, shut down Windows 10 Firewall, reinstalled, restarted again, and I am having the same issue. So, now that I have UAC to LOW and Windows "Defender" to off, I will try to download again. Then reinstall and see if that helps.

Kent
    Last edited by ColoKent; November 22nd, 2018 at 07:46.

Kent, it flies level for me. Did you check your controller calibration in P3D? I have had controller calibration slippage a couple of times and had to re-calibrate. As for the left jump door, haven't figured how to close that yet either and haven't seen anything in the manual about it (I may have missed it).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Storm...yep-- and that was the problem. Now if I could only figure out how to install the left hand paratroop door so it isn't eternally open...anyone figured that out yet? I have been through the manual, but haven't found the trick yet.

***EDIT***

With respect to the open door...it's a model thing-- there are two models in the folder..."cargo", and "thunderbird". The Thunderbird version has the door closed. I swapped all of the models to the "thunderbird" model in the .cfg-- and all the doors are closed.

Kent

Glad to hear you got that sorted Kent! I asked the guys over at AH about the door. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. Will advise as soon as I do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The only thing regarding performance that has stuck out to me so far, the fuel consumption seems a good bit high. I flew a quick cross country flight of about 150nm and flew by the numbers and ended up guzzling 70% of my fuel at 10,000ft, mixture lean, manifold pressure nominal in cruise range at 40in and 2300rpm. The manual states that: At 10,000 ft., using an MP of 44 inches and 2550 RPM you will burn fuel at approximatley 3,540lbs per hour. By reducing that to 2350 RPM and 40.5 MP you can get that down to 2310 lbs per hour. That's why I think the fuel consumption is a good bit high. Any thoughts?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Storm-- I agree that the fuel consumption seems excessive. Take off, a single circuit in the pattern, and landing with 90% fuel remaining seems huge. Also, my Manifold Pressure guage is inop-- making it difficult to get realistic power settings, so that may be some of it.

Overall, however, I am thrilled with this release...nicely done, AH! The Hurricane will be an instant purchase too.

Kent

Love the plane. The cockpit looks fantastic. Only issue is non-functional MAP gauge. Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Storm-- I agree that the fuel consumption seems excessive. Take off, a single circuit in the pattern, and landing with 90% fuel remaining seems huge. Also, my Manifold Pressure guage is inop-- making it difficult to get realistic power settings, so that may be some of it.

Overall, however, I am thrilled with this release...nicely done, AH! The Hurricane will be an instant purchase too.

Kent
    Kent, regarding the manifold pressure gauges, there are two small round switches on the upper center of the main panel that you have to click which feed (simulated) pressure to the gauges. When you click them, they will rotate right clockwise. Then your manifold pressure readings are now active. Regarding the fuel consumption, I went into the config under the Piston Engine listing and changed this: BestPowerSpecificFuelConsumption=0.10000 from 0.50000. Now the fuel consumption seems to be more on target to the R3350's fuel burn per hour. I know those engine were gas guzzlers at low level but geez! The original setting still seems excessive.

BTW, AH just posted this note on their Facebook page:

SMALL PATCH FOR BOXCAR
    We have just uploaded a small patch.
    1) Front nosegear door corrected.
    2) Rear left jump door now visible and functioning until you select paratroops for drop. It will then be removed.
    3) Small adjustment to inner glazing in interior
    4) Pilot and CoPilot sliding windows - corrected animations.

Available now as a re-download.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great news Storm....I will redownload...install, then start following procedures to get my MP gauge working! Also...did you see my post abovw about how to fix the missing door issue? Also...there is a switch on the overhead called "Secure Aircraft" that when activated provides a crew door ladder and chocks. This baby is a GREAT airplane.

Kent

PS - Storm...went back and punched the 2 buttons, and voila!....working MP gauges. Look...let me just say it-- I am SMITTEN with this airlifter.
    Last edited by ColoKent; November 22nd, 2018 at 19:40.

Yep, sure did see your post. I was about to do that mod when I heard from AH that they had amended the models to have a closed rear door when the paratroopers are de-selected. I think they hit a home run on this model, a much wanted subject and well priced, delivers a lot of quality at the price. I feel the same way about their C-46 model. My late father got to fly on a C-46 and C-119 during his time at Hurlburt Field. He also hitched rides in a C-123, C-124, and C-47. I remember he and the other guys I met that he served with called the old C-124 Globemaster "Old Shaky". lol. Maybe we'll one day see one of those for P3D.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can someone explain why this product is not available in Europe ?

ColinT

Quote Originally Posted by ColinT46 View Post
    Can someone explain why this product is not available in Europe ?

ColinT
    Not sure, I'd ask the AH folks about that. This is the first I have heard about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Most European countries have tax deals with Australia. Which means we have to collect and register tax for up to 11 different countries at different rates. The "paperwork" alone would mean dropping at least one project a year, just to get that done. It is more economical for us to go through agents like Just Flight, FSPilotshop and PC Aviator- although we pay commissions, it releases us from the burden. What happens after Brexit, I have no idea.

Like to see this implemented to existing or future AH P3Dv4 models.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-to-developers

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

still not available in Europe.....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Won't be long Jan, this week surely. Rest assured, we are just as frustrated. The vendors have obviously been busy with Black Friday and Thanksgiving sales. Sorry, but we have no control over when they list product. They have had it since day 1.

Blog Entries
    I flew in one of those things as a PAX when I was 17 years old and in the Civil Air Patrol. It was the first time I saw an autopilot in action. I was in the cockpit talking to the pilots when we crossed the VOR. The copilot turned a knob and the airplane banked and turned. I was like WOW.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 1