AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    still not available in Europe.....
    It is now, Jan Kees, atleast at Just Flight.

What's the deal with 'reflections' ??..... Is it me or does every Boxcarrist see no reflections at all ? I don't see any on the external aircraft's textures, and what's worse, not on the external cockpit glass neither. These pilot guys must be getting really cold up there. Great job on the external model but the missing cockpit glass stands out like a sore thumb, well, atleast ovehere, anybody else see that ? ( the radome glass seems to be there but only very, very faint...)

Also, the AP holds altitude alright but i can't get it to hold heading ?.....

Nontheless Well Done, Baz & Co !

Just a matter of taste and maybe I´m wrong...just like the one in P47 don´t like at all that propeller animation. Doesn´t look real to me. Not going to buy it…
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    What's the deal with 'reflections' ??..... Is it me or does every Boxcarrist see no reflections at all ? I don't see any on the external aircraft's textures, and what's worse, not on the external cockpit glass neither. These pilot guys must be getting really cold up there. Great job on the external model but the missing cockpit glass stands out like a sore thumb, well, atleast ovehere, anybody else see that ? ( the radome glass seems to be there but only very, very faint...)

Could be your settings. The textures have full reflectivity as does the glass. To hold heading you need to select heading hold on the switch on the left and then push down the big knob marked "Beam" (check that the text reads "Heading Hold ON"

Not sure what you are looking at but the props are not even remotely like the prop on the P47. We listened to customers and changed the procedure for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Not sure what you are looking at but the props are not even remotely like the prop on the P47. We listened to customers and changed the procedure for this one.
    Hi Bazzar, just looked at still pictures in AH site. Propeller hub animation look the same on this pictures but if you say so, I believe they're better than the one in P47. BTW are you going to improve P47? Would be much appreciated. Hangared mine…
    Thanks, best regards

Could be your settings. The textures have full reflectivity as does the glass. To hold heading you need to select heading hold on the switch on the left and then push down the big knob marked "Beam" (check that the text reads "Heading Hold ON"

I see what you mean on the C-119 release screenies,reflection and glass Ok. Don't think it's my settings. I have reflection all over the place. Here's your B-17 and C-119 beneath it :

You tell me, Baz... ;-)

@ any other Boxcar drivers : can some of you help out please and tell us what you see, reflection and cockpit glass or just like the screenies above ?.... Thanks !

All clear on the AP, Baz, i overlooked that beam hold knob, sorry bout that, works perfectly now, Thanks !

I say again, beautiful model, exactly my fav type of bird, you know, work horse pur sang. Love it !

Cheers,
    jan

How does the Thunderbird support machine look on your settings? We have deliberately not put a lot of reflection on the others as they are workhorses and we wanted to show them in a more natural look. However, you should be getting a stronger reflection on the glass.

An SP will be coming, when the dust has settled and we will look at the reflection situation for that. Mind you with 4.4 about to hit, it's anybody's guess what things will look like. We are waiting for the final SDK before we decide what to do for products like the C-119

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

I must concur. I have just bought her and even the blister window is missing...!?

Will sit tight and wait for a fix......

Hmmm, looks like either a missing texture or a different one needed for V4+. As this is the same model as FSX, the glass is definitely there. Leave it with me...

also confirm the lack of reflections in the glass and body

however the blister is there however very faint with both reflections at ultra and off, most glass turns blue when the reflections are on, so see what PBR does over the next few days

I don't have the Boxcar, so just my sixpence worth - I think that aluminium skin looks very realistic, far more so than the B-17 above. Unless the aircraft has just left the production line, or has been polished to a glassy gleam, I don't think aluminium ever really reflects nearby features such as buildings and other aircraft. Generally, in service, its just dull grey with a slight sheen where it catches the sun - and that's what you have in the pictures above.

Thanks very much,gents ! Good to know i'm not the only one with no glass in the windows.
    Baz, get your glazier out of the pub and set him straight

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I don't have the Boxcar, so just my sixpence worth - I think that aluminium skin looks very realistic, far more so than the B-17 above..
    Agreed. It's not so much skin reflection that's missing it's the glass...

IMHO it is certainly true that even just a little bit of skin reflection gives more 'content' to a surface/body. Even if painted matt it remains metal. One of the issues of XPlane (atleast with the versions i tried): no reflection whatsoever, just specular highlights, making aircraft models look very 'plasticky'. Luckily not so in FSX/P3D. Currently also just specular light on the C-119 but it still looks good, not plasticky at all.

Still, personally i wouldn't mind *at all* if one or two AH Boxcars came in high polished 'museum quality'... Like this:

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos...v=v4b9e8dc9ab3

Show of at some virtual air displays

How does the Thunderbird support machine look on your settings? We have deliberately not put a lot of reflection on the others as they are workhorses and we wanted to show them in a more natural look. However, you should be getting a stronger reflection on the glass.
    Doesn't change much, Baz, maybe a tiny bit better (glass effect..) but the radome still remains just a hole... :

An SP will be coming, when the dust has settled and we will look at the reflection situation for that. Mind you with 4.4 about to hit, it's anybody's guess what things will look like. We are waiting for the final SDK before we decide what to do for products like the C-119
    Sounds very wise indeed, Barry. What with that PBR thing coming we might be in for some 'spectacular' new goodies texture-wise, éh !?

Looking forward to that C-119 SP ! Getting really cold uphere ! ( my crew calls it Flying IceBoxcar atm.. )

Of the couple of C-119's I have seen in person, they had a very drab sun beaten appearance although I have seen plenty of photos of them having a bit of a reflective shine. 3 of these photos are of the C-119 at Fort Bragg, NC which I have visited a number of times. On Memorial Day of 2001, they had that aircraft opened up and it was the first and only time I went on board one. I can't recall the shape the cockpit was in but I was stunned to see the cargo hold floor was made of heavy plywood planks. It's huge for a twin engine aircraft!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In FSX we like to use our own reflective map and texture for the reflectivity channel. We also use the alpha in specular maps to control the depth. This provides, in our opinion, a "kinder"reflection than the simple global Now, in V4+ the dynamic reflection process uses global environments.So this is why the reflectivity is not showing or is "degraded" in V4+.

If you look at the attached, this is the model with the glass material changed to use dynamic reflectivity.

The upshot of all of this is that we are going to wait until V4.4 and then act. There are bound to be issues that affect all of this. We may also look at using the A2A rain effects. What we are trying to achieve is the best mix of models and features for the range of sims without having to go to separate packs. It may prove impossible but we're going to keep going down that track because otherwise there will different price points for different simulators and at AH we have always tried to avoid that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BoxcarDynamic.jpg  

In FSX we like to use our own reflective map and texture for the reflectivity channel. We also use the alpha in specular maps to control the depth. This provides, in our opinion, a "kinder"reflection than the simple global Now, in V4+ the dynamic reflection process uses global environments.So this is why the reflectivity is not showing or is "degraded" in V4+.

If you look at the attached, this is the model with the glass material changed to use dynamic reflectivity.

The upshot of all of this is that we are going to wait until V4.4 and then act. There are bound to be issues that affect all of this. We may also look at using the A2A rain effects. What we are trying to achieve is the best mix of models and features for the range of sims without having to go to separate packs. It may prove impossible but we're going to keep going down that track because otherwise there will different price points for different simulators and at AH we have always tried to avoid that.
    Will sit tight and hopefully your "act" will not be very far away when v4.4 is released.

Thank you Bazzar for the update. She looks the ooots!!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Bank finally released the funds for me to purchase this wonderful bird on Thursday (actually pension day) then it was straight to AH for the purchase. Now one of the lucky ones with both the AH version and the beta of the LDR version.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

and another nearing upload time:
    jk6987

jk6991

jk6993
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

next project:
    jk6995

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    next project:jk6995
    YES please!!!!

I had to switch to a different registration and nose art because part of the textures were mirrored, so BW-H "Hiawatha" instead of BW-F "Fiinbeck", but I hope you like this one too?
    jk7016

jk7013

one more:
    jk7065

and a more detailed shot of the noseart:
    jk7067

Members who have read this thread: 1