AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    OK "bazzar" says airspeed is indicated in MPH. So how do I change FSX so that it reads MPH & not KPH. Been trying to do this for years.
    Dont think it is possible that would require a change to stock FSX functionality. But would make a great gauge idea. Eg some boffin could make a gauge that copies the information red text at the top but lets it be user defined like they have in Xplane.

Or we ask LM to add this to P3d , make it work like forza racing does where you hit a button to change mph to kmh readout for the hud.

The Continueing Saga C119

Good Morning All,

I guess Bazzar, this is mainly for you. Below is part of a message sent to the help desk of AH."Firstly thanks again for providing further download applications. Having followed your instructions and added .exe to the download, I successfully installed the Base Model. I used the two of the extra downloads today to try to install SP1. Like the original, when appearing on my downloads it lacked the .exe. Added same, and successfully added SP1, or so I thought. When logging on again, still no L/H door and R/H nose-gear door. Disabled Anti-Virus program, downloaded again, added .exe, and installed without any problem. Still no doors or obvious fixes. Followed installation thread all the way through to Airplanes, brought up A.H. Fairchild C119, Checked Documentation-Changes Log , and there is SP1 detailed with all the changes, installed todays date!! Shut down computer, Started again, brought up the C119, no doors or obvious changes. Sorry folks, I hate to be a pain but does anyone have any ideas where we go from here, short of waiting for the changes to be incorporated in an amended Base Model. "

I know A.H. are working very hard to come up with a solution, but I don't think it does any harm to see if anyone at S.O.H. has any ideas as well. I know the C119 is now available from J.F, and I am assuming that all the up-dates and S.P.s have been included in the J.F. model, but naturally I do not want to go to the expense. I have never had any problems with previous A.H. purchases, though some have been purchased through J.F.

To all concerned, I think it's a great model-I'm having great fun as it is, even with that pesky L/H para door being open etc. The C119 is one of my all-time favourites, and I aim to get it right.

checked the aircraft as purchased from JF but no of the mentioned issues are shown or was there any trouble downloading it.
    The lh and rh nose gear doors are there and the front lh/rh gear doors open and close when retracting / extending the gears.
    All seem to work well . To MHO the JF download is ok and something else is causing those troubles mentioned.

Finished my first repaint of the AH-C119...decided to go with a classic (minus the JATOof course)...

Not a fan of the repaint kit, but thankful there is one. Getting lines to match from strakes to booms and doors to fuselage was very, very difficult because the parts are not scaled to each other, but after four days of non-stop painting, saving, opening FSX and looking, closing FSX, repeat I think I came "close"...

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

C-119 (AH) - MAP gauges do not work

Nice plane, but tried in vain to get MAP gauges to run up from idle, both FSX SE and P3D4 (RPMs do). Everything else seems OK Running Windows 10, high end desk top.

Any way to make yoke disappear? Don't see one in the manual.

Thanks.

tried in vain to get MAP gauges to run up from idle
    From earlier in this thread...

"you will find that the Manifold Pressure gauges are fed through valves which must be opened before a reading will show. They are the two round knobs on the panel marked accordingly. Pull and turn each and the gauges will operate."

Any way to make yoke disappear? Don't see one in the manual
    ...in the manual...

"You can hide the yoke using a button which just past the yoke, just to right and look low. There will be two flick switches, use the left one."

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

It is important to read the manual carefully. There is info in there that is critical to the correct operation of the C-119.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    It is important to read the manual carefully. There is info in there that is critical to the correct operation of the C-119.
    Thanks - "Mea culpa" ---

Tried pdf search function, obviously didn't work to well

I downloaded the airplane yesterday and am really glad I did so. I consider it to be right at the top of the modern payware airplanes and at a very reasonable price.

After flying it for a time, one small thing caught my eye--the attitude direction indicator seems to be missing the adjustable "symbolic airplane" that the horizon bar moves behind during flight. The clickspot (hand) comes up when I put the mouse over the black knob at the bottom of the instrument but clicking it has no effect.

No big deal, but the adjustable bar can come in handy during instrument conditions as a ready reference of where the airplane sits in relation to the horizon.

Many thanks for the effort put in to provide this wonderful aircraft.

I like it!
    jk6843

jk6847
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    My bank account finally released the funds for me to purchase this beauty on Thursday (actually pension day ) and still rading the manual.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post
    Finished my first repaint of the AH-C119...decided to go with a classic (minus the JATOof course)...

Not a fan of the repaint kit, but thankful there is one. Getting lines to match from strakes to booms and doors to fuselage was very, very difficult because the parts are not scaled to each other, but after four days of non-stop painting, saving, opening FSX and looking, closing FSX, repeat I think I came "close"...

Randy
    She looks great! When will you release this paint please?

Cheers,
    Tim.

She looks great! When will you release this paint please?
    Honestly Tim, I had never thought to do so and not sure how even if I wanted to...staff?

Also, not sure if there is a place to report bugs, but in the course of over 50 or so hours of flying I have noticed three things...

1) Carb Heat seems to only "push" the carb temp to +12 degrees centigrade and no higher. Is that normal? Also, the right switch seems to have no effect on carb temp, although it is clickable. The left switch on and the right switch off raises the heat in both sides to 12 degrees.

2) I have yet to get cylinder head temp above 180 degrees centigrade, so not even in to the "green" band, even with cowl flaps closed, sitting on the ground, with engines at high rev. Also, same situation as the carb heat...both cowl flap switches are clickable, but the left one appears to control both engines and the right one just "clicks".

3) Have I missed something in regards to the altimeter. Other than pushing "B" on the keyboard I can find no way to set the barometric pressure value to get a correct altimeter reading.

Randy
    Randy Tyndall

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post
    Honestly Tim, I had never thought to do so and not sure how even if I wanted to...staff?

Also, not sure if there is a place to report bugs, but in the course of over 50 or so hours of flying I have noticed three things...

1) Carb Heat seems to only "push" the carb temp to +12 degrees centigrade and no higher. Is that normal? Also, the right switch seems to have no effect on carb temp, although it is clickable. The left switch on and the right switch off raises the heat in both sides to 12 degrees.

2) I have yet to get cylinder head temp above 180 degrees centigrade, so not even in to the "green" band, even with cowl flaps closed, sitting on the ground, with engines at high rev. Also, same situation as the carb heat...both cowl flap switches are clickable, but the left one appears to control both engines and the right one just "clicks".

3) Have I missed something in regards to the altimeter. Other than pushing "B" on the keyboard I can find no way to set the barometric pressure value to get a correct altimeter reading.

Randy
    Hello Randy,

I fully concur with your findings.

Your paint looks great even if you keep her all to yourself....LOL!!!

Cheers,
    Tim.

my next project:
    jk6995

To Staff and Moderators

I have had a couple of subscribers ask for the Hemet Valley Flying Service repaint, but I don't know how or where to upload repaints to SoH for others to download.

Because AH used 4096X4096 pixel-sized textures the zipped texture file is 48 MBs and my email provider only allows up to 25 MBs. I hate to send it out in pieces and parts so uploading here would be ideal.

Any Help?

Randy
    Randy Tyndall

I had some problems with mirrored textures, so changed the registration to something symmetrical:

jk7016

Clam shell doors

If memory serves, didn't the C119's have a clam shell like doors that opened? I guess this version doesn't feature that animation however, I did notice that when a jeep is dropped, the
    doors are gone.

one more:
    jk7065

and a more detailed shot of the noseart:
    jk7067

and yes, when you want to drop jeeps, the doors are gone. In reality, they often flew without doors to drop large cargo's.

Loading a C119

Navy/Marine version was called R4Q
    Interesting video of the tail section and engine of a F9F Panther into a R4Q/C119 - lots of teamwork enlisted/offer alike.
    Looks like later in the video the clam doors were manually shut.
    Notice that back in the day Navy Chiefs could wear dungarees like the white hats; the CPOs missed that working uniform.

Taxi Light ?

HUH? Was that the way it was spelled?

For those who have asked or PM'd me, I just finished uploading the "Hemet Valley Flying Service" Fire Tanker repaint to the Warbirds Library thanks to great help and guidance from jankees. You can find it here...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=184

Before uploading I "fixed" the elongated N-Number on the booms. Be kind...I am far from professional and use Gimp2.8 as my "go to" texture editor.

Enjoy...

Randy
    Randy Tyndall

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    HUH? Was that the way it was spelled?

According to official pilots notes, yes.

Also, for those that don't know, the models come in three varieties. Clean, with no cargo or paratroops, Paratroop carrier (with opening clam doors) and Cargo drop (with clam doors removed) Obviously for paratroop drops the right rear jump door is removed. This is actioned by a visibilty tag when paratroops are selected.

Cargo doors

Is that suppose to read Shift + 1(numeric) or Shift + I (alpha) - I suspect the former. It's the only one that works.
    It looks like the only way to get a jeep drop is to choose the cargo texture version - all others only allow a trooper drop only.

Edit: It looks like nothing will drop from the Thunderbirds texture. At least I haven't been able to do so.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 15th, 2018 at 10:10.

Members who have read this thread: 3