ETO, PTO and what else - CFS3 downloadable stuff

Thread: ETO, PTO and what else - CFS3 downloadable stuff

ETO, PTO and what else - CFS3 downloadable stuff

well, the time I wanted to try it almost came, but the some links above at sticked threads doesnt works (ETO parts today - "this folder is empty", for example).

if such important game enhancement old orginal sites doesnt work anymore and the various user made links are temporary or after some time unusable, what is the problem to upload it into the SOH site. permissions, the size?

next, not all users incuding me and many new arrivals ever know what the thread or file name shortcut means - what is the current enhancement content. a full name of the enhancement, version, author and the mainly the airplane library, country, nation list at least wouldnt hurt at all.

SOH-CM-2020
    True, Borek, our thin band of people who actually contribute haven't made it easy for people. I really try to make my threads comprehensible but in reality I am too lazy to write "War and Peace" on basic stuff in some of my threads.

Interesting that whenever I check, CFS3 has higher browsing numbers often than most of the sims here at SOH. I hope more will pluck up the courage to contribute, and maybe we will get all our downloads threads tidied up at some stage....

Interesting. To find out if a file library will accept uploads, try uploading one. If it’s not your own work you may run into copyright reasons for why the library admin turns it down, which is where others have failed before. There are no rigorously enforced standards on descriptions, file names etc because SOH is run by volunteers for volunteers. It’s up to you, the uploader, to make sure others can understand.

As some will know, the major expansions for CFS3 were hosted by AussieX who suffered a major hack attack a while ago and haven’t recovered yet and may never do, so there’s no answer to the expansions being readily available again unless someone bothers to upload and make them available.

Rather like the whingers who bewail a particular aircraft/airfield/effect/soundpack is not available - the answer is in your own hands. That’s how the SOH library got to where it is, by people uploading stuff.
    Last edited by hairyspin; November 23rd, 2018 at 08:00. Reason: speling, duh
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I had created an master archive of all the major packages, years of my own work, and thousands of add-on aircraft for CFS3. With the death of my computer at the beginning of October everything was lost, otherwise I could have offered to restore just about anything someone might be looking for.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I had created an master archive of all the major packages, years of my own work, and thousands of add-on aircraft for CFS3. With the death of my computer at the beginning of October everything was lost, otherwise I could have offered to restore just about anything someone might be looking for.
    My wish has been granted An ALL IN ONE PACKAGE...yeaayyy..x'mas is coming ! someday i will hear major sayin this ! (But Im not wishing your pc dead..im sorry to hear it )

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Have ETO,PTO Solomons,PTO RS,MAW, and Pat's BoB uploaded in the sticky section. Just checked the ETO sticky and all are available for download. Done through mediafire. Shared all i could with having only a free account. Would be nice if others could upload and share their files that have been lost for one reason or another. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Some, like the ETO downloads ,are just too big to host here at SOH though in hindsight i could of had explained more in the sticky thread. New at this uploading thing and was just trying to help in some way. Could have made it easier ,i guess. At least there is a tutorial in the sticky section to help in installing the ETO expansion which made it a snap for me. Got it working on the first try after following directions.There are a lot of lost files and hopefully there is someone out there who would be willing to help and upload them here.Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post

Rather like the whingers who bewail a particular aircraft/airfield/effect/soundpack is not available - the answer is in your own hands. That’s how the SOH library got to where it is, by people uploading stuff.
    And that is why SOH has an unparalleled collection for CFS3! There is nothing to touch it.

ok, I am getting the SOH Warbirds upload case now, still I really dont believe it is hard to write a few words what actually I am downloading - if such thing appears at our thread. just a full name of the mod and whats the content at least cant hurt.

I hate to download tons of megs or even gigs, study a half day what the thing was supposed to be, how to get it working, patch it, yet no knowledge what actuallly is the whole thing at the end.

if someone means such way we could hook new CFS3 fans, its wrong.

now I will tell you Ive downloaded the ETO stuff (links worked this time). ok, its about six variously named parts, aprox 4.5 GB all together. LOL, the zip files are unbelievably rubbish content (I am sure its not your fault, Scott), at first look. so the whole installation attempt got easy solution immediatelly: the ETO zips has been deleted and never will touch unpacked my rig. not that way.

Blog Entries
    There is a tutorial in the sticky section to get the ETO expansion up and running. That is what i used and it helped a great deal. There could be more for the other expansions,I believe . You are right in that we need to make it easier for new people to get started. Look at the trouble i had with Ankor's shaders. It took days before i could find the problem. It was my ATI drivers. There is no help with PTO Solomons or RS and none for MAW. Some aircraft take special knowledge to install correctly as do some other addons. For some one just getting started it can be intimidating to say the least. I say to start off easy start with installing Patt's BoB package,then MAW would be the next easiest. I believe you are correct in your assessment that more needs to be done. It IS complicated to install ETO with any OS win7 and above and special care needs to be taken if you run Win 10 as the sticky section covers this. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    There is help for PTO RS in the sticky section. Just a note.

Ive got partly the wanted answer whats the pack content at this thread post. as I am aircraft add-on developer, my goal is just to avoid of making things twice, eg. to bother with some airplane which already exists in a decent stage, so I repeat:

if ETO, PTO, MAW, BoB or such monster stuff is available here as user made uploads, please put there whats going up.

do you think all CFS3 thread visitors really knows that eg. "PTO RS" means "Pacific Theather Operrations - Rising Sun" add-on? I hope I wrote it right, just quess... yet, I can really only quess whats the airplane type list there...

If I understand correctly you would like a list of aircraft in these packs?

Here is a list of aircraft that come with the ETO addon

eto aircraft list.txt

I dont have any of the other addons installed yet though maybe somebody else can help with those
    Manny

Glad to be back - Now if I can just remember how to fly this damned thing........

Blog Entries
    The original website that hosted the expansions is down,probably for good, so i uploaded to mediafire and linked them here at SOH so all was not lost. That is all i did. If someone could do a better job, then do it.

sure... still how hard is instead of the "ETO" word to write a full name of the add-on, at least? I dont get whats the problem, it is a matter of three seconds, or?

I'm glad you did Scott, as just yesterday I got ETO and MAW downloaded again. Gonna put them on a disk to save them this time. Thanks brotha!

Blog Entries
    ETO ,MAW,PTO... is what they have been always called. It's just a common acronym used among us CFS3 fans since the beginning of these expansions. Sorry...

Glossary

You've made your point, Borek. Meantime, a short glossary might help:–

ETO - European Theatre of Operations

MAW - Mediterranean Air War

PTO - Pacific Theatre of Operations

PTO RS - Pacific Theatre of Operations Rising Sun

CFS3 - Combat Flight Simulator 3 (of course)

FS - Flight Simulator (duh)

BoB - Battle of Britain

etc.

Finally, although this is an English language site, confusing abbreviations are found on all the forums and the newcomer will just have to forgive us our pet acronyms (POSKY? VATSIM?) as well as our speling. For example, GAS might refer to aircraft fuel, Golden Age Simulations (classic/vintage aircraft developer) or in the photography forum it's Gear Acquisition Syndrome - a dreadful malady which will drain your bank account and credit limit unless treated immediately.

This season, read closely and post clearly!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    ETO ,MAW,PTO... is what they have been always called
    sure, but such terms getting only people who know whats going up there - you never can hook new visitors (possible new CFS3 fans) that way.

@hairyspin, @Mixxer: hallelujah! finally Ive got what I was asking, thank you

shortly, each such popular CFS3 sticky download thread should content such simple description.
    next problem is the first post of the current thread should include all needed installation parts, but it seems it is not happen. unfortunatelly the current post is time limited edit, so, if the thread/post maker miss something, it cant be added / edited after some time - without contacting forum admin.

in another words one thing is to publish some popular (legendary) stuff for a few of well-informed persons, and the another thing is to share such stuff to be usefull for all the rest of forum visitors too, which could become new CFS3 fans. thats the main point of my nagging here.

Members who have read this thread: 12