Macau F3 Crash

Thread: Macau F3 Crash

Macau F3 Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=fHZWJkcBz8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V88l7Eb3vfI

Macau Grand Prix organisers have confirmed that Sophia Florsch is conscious and has been transferred to hospital following the terrifying accident that stopped the race.The German, who raced in the latter half of this year's Formula 3 European Championship, was launched into the air and over the crash barriers after striking the TOM's car of Sho Tsuboi at Lisboa Bend.Florsch had lost the wheels on her Van Amersfoort Racing-run car in a crash further down the long straight before the tight right-hander.Her car went through debris fencing and struck a photographers' bunker before landing back on its wheels.
    A statement from the organisers said that both Florsch and Tsuboi were concious and had been taken to hospital.Three further individuals, two photographers and one marshal, were also involved in the accident, with them also being transferred to hospital and recieving medical treatment.The race was restarted following a delay of more than one hour to attend to the individuals involved in the accident as well as repair the fencing.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Despite her back injury, she was extremely fortunate, unlike the marshall that got hit by the fence and then crushed under her car..

Macau is a dangerous track, and not really suitable for racing anymore IMHO..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Each time there is racing at Macau (2 or 4 wheels) there is such a big crash with people injured (or worse) most of the time. This, plus the traditional car pileup on turn 1.

Icon2

Jeeze....
    Man oh man......

Not much more to say here....

Hey All,

Yes a dangerous track especially for high school age kids - I believe I read she is only 17. IMO an unacceptable risk. I hope she heals well with no paralysis.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Nobody calling for the "Halo" yet?? Sorry Couldn't resist.... Scary footage of what is a really freak accident. Can't believe how much air she had as she sailed right out of the track.

Open Wheel Racing in inherently Dangerous and is not for the faint of Heart. Very small margins between being a Hero or a Zero. People get lulled into a false sense of security on these road courses, but the video doesn't lie! Wheel to Wheel contact at any speed is extremely hazardous and it has to be realized. The recent crash of Robert Wickens reminded us all of this... Nobody can foresee an accident like this one playing out like that. How do you even engineer something to prevent it from ever happening again? You just can't... I'm sure the experience levels of the drivers in this developmental division could be questioned, but Sophia Florsch knew the risks, and was willing to accept them. Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Nobody calling for the "Halo" yet?? Sorry Couldn't resist....
    So since you mentioned it...outside of aesthetics/looks, what exactly are the negatives of the 'Halo' device?

Let me preface this by saying that I am a huge proponent of Racing and Driver Safety...
    My point about the Halo was. That no matter what is done, there will always be an element of "Danger" in racing for both drivers and spectators that cannot be engineered out of the equation. If this risk is not acceptable to a driver or a spectator, they don't have to participate. This accident in Macau... hard to prevent. Mitigating risk like that is very difficult and costly. You will probably never see a car do again what Sophia's car did in that corner on that circuit. Unfortunately, the results of this accident could very well have lasting effects on that race, the sanctioning body and or the circuit itself no matter how much money you throw at trying to prevent a similar occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    So since you mentioned it...outside of aesthetics/looks, what exactly are the negatives of the 'Halo' device?
    Most if not all of the complaining is about the look of that thing. I would have prefered a kind of "aeroscreen". Some people argue that open wheels cars need full open cockpit as well, but I don't agree with that. We definitely needed a better head protection for drivers.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    That no matter what is done, there will always be an element of "Danger" in racing for both drivers and spectators that cannot be engineered out of the equation. .

Yes there is.
    But if there's an opportunity to even make it just a bit safer, why not take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    When they were first introduced and tested, several drivers complained as (according to them) the Halo reduced the drivers visibility on the track, and kept them from seeing safety signs and flags. I think that was concerned the main negative aspect.
    Other drivers actually said they hardly noticed the Halo as they were focusing on the track.

Team owners and principals were mainly complaining about the looks.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Two comments:

First: Sophia Florsch comes into the frame backwards and seemingly, WFO. Was there a mechanical failure of the throttle or brakes that put her into that turn at that speed?

Second: When I was racing drag boats, the only thing keeping us in the boat was to hang on to the wheel, brace back against the seat and hope the Lifeline chute deployed if we came out of the boat. There was a running joke about bolting a trailer hitch ball to the seat.

When the capsules were introduced we had endless discussions about practicality and aesthetics. Now, drivers wear a five point harness and have ten minutes of air onboard...and the boats are more exotic and beautiful than ever. IMO

I don't have an opinion on the Halo, but I've seen a lot of cars, and boats run over the top of each other.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

That car literally flew past so fast I didn't see it in the video Incredibly lucky to survive that, even with sophisticated safety tech!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Two comments:

First: Sophia Florsch comes into the frame backwards and seemingly, WFO. Was there a mechanical failure of the throttle or brakes that put her into that turn at that speed?
    She hit another car on the straight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sWZ_T54sZ8
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

There was a running joke about bolting a trailer hitch ball to the seat.

That is by far... the Funniest thing I have heard in quite some time!! Thank You for that!!

Members who have read this thread: 0