Warthog HOTAS On Sale!

Thread: Warthog HOTAS On Sale!

Warthog HOTAS On Sale!

I've been waiting a long while to replace my Logitech G940...it has been difficult! For those of you in a situation similar to me (you have a need and desire for better aircraft control), NEWEGG has the Warthog HOTAS on sale for ~$350.00 for about another 2 days. (For those of you that are familiar with NEWEGG, they now charge state tax, so if your state charges, you will now pay.) Shipping is also FREE in U.S. I've never seen it this inexpensive. Just sayin'...

P.S. Here is the link to the ad - https://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...BZQUhPTy5DT00=
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I have the Warthog, and have to say that it is one of the most satisfying sticks to use, and the throttle setup is awesome . BUT, I’m disappointed in the durability of the setup. Last year I spent over $200 just to replace the red thumb button on the stick. I had the setup for two years and it was only lightly used.

While the body of the stick is made of metal, the buttons don’t have the same level of toughness, and replacing an individual button or HAT control is a nightmare. The wires are hairline in thickness, and everything is routed through the body of the stick in such a way where it is easy to pinch a wire(s) between the two joystick halves when putting it together, or have wires interfering with the HAT controls. After multiple attempts to replace the one red button, and multiple button orders that can take a week or more just to place the order, I ended up buying a new full joystick handset from thrustmaster for $115.

For $350-400, that system should be the last one you ever buy, but from my experience it is buyer-be-ware.

If the Warthog throttle and joystick base hadn’t been in good condition, I would have simply cleaned my old X-52’s potentiometers and called it good. I even have an old sidewinder precision pro 2 that is in perfect working order, and it’s at least 15 years old!

If you are in the market for a decent HOTAS setup, take a look at Thurstmaster’s T.16000M, or CH Products Fighter stick and Throttle quadrant instead of the Warthog. You will lose some of “the feel” that the Warthog offers, but you will spend less money and get a setup that will work just as well and potentially last much longer.

Interesting as I have been seeing more and more notes about declining quality of the Warthog HOTAS. NEWEGG has customer comments and you can see several about this issue.

It is also interesting that the T.16000M setup is also on sale at NEWEGG now. It is in the same listing I linked to my note.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I have the Saitek/Mad Catz X-56 and am very happy with it. I had the original release X-55 but the hat switches began to crap out on me after a year and a half of daily use. Even though the warranty was out, the guys at Mad Catz replaced my X-55 with a brand new X-56 free of charge. The feel of the X-56 is not the same as the Warthog but it is still quite good overall and a lot cheaper (half the price) and you have more functionality. If my X-56 ever fails, I am just going to replace it with another one (now under the Logitech label).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0