P-51 crashes in Fredericksburg, Texas

Thread: P-51 crashes in Fredericksburg, Texas

Icon9 P-51 crashes in Fredericksburg, Texas

FREDERICKSBURG, Texas -- A privately-owned vintage World War II Mustang fighter airplane that had participated in a flyover for a museum event crashed into the parking lot of a Texas apartment complex Saturday, killing the pilot and a passenger, authorities said. One of the victims was a veteran, the Pacific War Museum.

Prayers for the families.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nationa...ay-2018-11-17/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Very sad to hear of the loss of another pilot and a vintage aircraft.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

RIP Sir! Never forget a couple of years ago pre-flighting a rental Cessna to go fly from my TX airport near Waco. Storms passing by and not a plane in the sky, very quiet. I hear that sound over the field, knowing for sure what it was, good ole "Pecos Bill". Last year saw it at Burnet for an air show, but never got a chance to talk with the pilot.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    A tragedy. Always sad to hear the loss of pilots and passengers. Another Mustang destroyed. These aircraft are just getting to old to fly and be safe in my opinion.

The truth of the matter is that many of these aircraft are in better condition than they ever were when new, and are maintained with more attention and care than you will find with most aircraft (including the airlines). Of the 164 (or so) P-51 Mustangs currently flying in the world, there aren't too many still flying which haven't been completely rebuilt from the ground up, and some are essentially completely new altogether. I don't want to go into speculation about this particular incident, but you'll find that the majority of P-51 related crashes have come down to the decisions and actions made by the pilot (and/or perhaps, if you want to go there, the physical/mental state of the pilot), never having anything to do with the aircraft or engines. These are high performance aircraft, and they don't forgive mistakes or complacency, especially at low level.

Nicely summed up, John.

Members who have read this thread: 0