Trouble starting Manfreds C-47

Thread: Trouble starting Manfreds C-47

Trouble starting Manfreds C-47

Hi All,

I am trying to start Manfreds C-47 from a cold and dark situation but am having trouble.

Battery on, Generators on, Fuel Pumps on, Fuel tanks selected, Ignition on both, Mixture Auto Rich, throttle 10%, Hit Prime, Hit Starter Button

Propeller just spins slowly while the starter button is down but when its released it just stops turning.

Cntr-E does work but would like to be able to get it started manually and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I am using V3.14 with the MVC.

Thanks in advance.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Hey Joe, try with throttles fully closed.
    Pretty sure the earlier versions required them to be 'cracked', but the later ones need to be closed.
    Not at my rig just now, so will come back later with any other suggestions . . .

You should have an interactive starting procedure follow that.

If you do not have it I would think it is wrongly installed.

Cheers chris

Are you priming after you hit the starter? The sequence should be as you’ve described, except - prime briefly, then engage the starter (it will stay engaged), then hold down the primer until you get a start. It’s the primer that actually fires up the engine. After start, the starter will release on its own.

Speedy is right - try the interactive checklist.

Also, open the Shift + 3 panel and see if there are any red indications. Low battery might be an issue after multiple attempts - if so, try ground power.

Let us us know how you do.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Hi All,
    Battery on, Generators on, Fuel Pumps on, Fuel tanks selected, Ignition on both, Mixture Auto Rich, throttle 10%, Hit Prime, Hit Starter Button

Thanks in advance.
    No - hit starter and count 10 blades revolutions, then hit prime and keep it down until motor starts.
    You better use the interactive checklist which is greate and fun.

Gérard

Yes it was the sequence of primer and starter that tripped me up. I guess my instincts were prime before start and be careful not to flood the engine. I guess I should have **** rather than take my normal approach of, when all else fails read the manual.

Thanks for the info.
    Joe Cusick

If I recall correctly, flooding was a possibility in v2 as a feature of Hansi's programming, but with Hansi's departure, it wasn't carried over into v3. Even if it had been, the priming sequence - a brief shot before starting, then a longer prime once the engine is cranking - should minimize the risk of flooding, so operationally the result is pretty much the same as if flooding was still modeled. Glad you got it worked out - the manual start sequence is pretty satisfying, and a lot more fun than CTRL + E...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Its kinda frustrating, after two hops and the engines starting, I try again and no matter what I do I can't get them to start. I even reset using the 'cold and dark' button and went through the automated checklist and still would not start.
    Joe Cusick

Blog Entries
    Try cycling both sides, nine blades with pumps off, mags off, throttles full closed.

Try this in the VC at the panels, not using the popup menu.
    Turn on the pumps, mags off, full rich and prime about five seconds. Open the throttles 1",hit starter #1...hold nine blades, open the mag to both, press prime once or twice until the engine pops. Pull back the mixture to auto rich once all the jugs are firing clean.
    Same again for number 2.
    Last edited by gman5250; November 18th, 2018 at 15:24.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Just wondering, could it be that once the engines are good and warmed up, like after 2 flights, just for a random example, that it doesn't need hardly any, if any at all, priming?

Also, do the engines only feed from a specific tank for starting, and that tank is empty after 2 flights?

Just a couple thoughts. I get so few any more, and they die of loneliness so quickly....

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Just a couple thoughts. I get so few any more, and they die of loneliness so quickly....

Pat☺
    Wear a hat, Pat....Helps to keep the thoughts from drifting away I, personally, use the rope-pull starter. Never fails Or is that on my lawnmower? I get confused easily
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I, personally, use the rope-pull starter. Never fails
    Not so crazy as you might think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proprope.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	64827

Quote Originally Posted by alpha charlie View Post
    Not so crazy as you might think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proprope.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	64827
    I like that idea! I was reminded of my gas-powered .o49 model airplane I had as a kid. Besides flipping the prop with my finger to start it, there was a tough nylon string to wrap around the prop hub to pull. This was before they came up with the spring to wrap the prop and wind backwards.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I like that idea! I was reminded of my gas-powered .o49 model airplane I had as a kid. Besides flipping the prop with my finger to start it, there was a tough nylon string to wrap around the prop hub to pull. This was before they came up with the spring to wrap the prop and wind backwards.
    Oh my! I had one too! PT-19 Flight Trainer, U-Control. Plastic model, held together with rubber bands. I spent more time "hand-propping", well, finger propping, anyway, that thing than flying it. Still, had a blast with it. Hours and hours out at my elementary school's soccer field. Mostly either trying to get that darn .049 engine going, or putting the plane back together after I crashed it...

By the way, Zippy, I don't wear hats. I read an article someplace that linked early baldness with wearing hats all the time. Must be something to it, I never wear a hat I don't have to, and I have a nice, full head of hair, almost down to my...errr...waist, not even grey! Nice, rich, chestnut, even still, at my age!
    Nope! No hats for me!

I'd rather watch the few ideas I get dribble out my ears, and they do, than go bald.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0