Grumman F7F Tigercat, 1st Production Version. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grumman F7F Tigercat, 1st Production Version.

Flaps still difficult - WIP model V3

Happy New Year to all!
    With the two components (wing and flap) on either side of the nacelle,
    improving the existing glue sequence so that the outer flap does not interfere
    with the outer wing is still very elusive.

The AF99 logic behind this I bet would even escape the capacities of Sophie,
    although it IS remarkable how politely and diplomatically she reacted to the
    stroppy university interviewer. Maybe Sophie should be the interviewer, or perhaps
    better, a teacher at the university, instead of a student. This way she could teach
    some manners, and also suggest ways for students not to shoot their peers...

Anyway, back to the Tigercat:
    Now, as Iīd already feared, even with the wing in 3 sections - inner and mid with
    their flaps, and outer, there are still problems, also with the nacelle in left and
    right halves (which Iīve discarded).

Parts Count is at 126.8. There are still 2 components and 12 structures free.

Instead of the outer flap bleeding through the outer wing, it is now the nacelle
    end that makes it disappear. Other arrangements make other things disappear.

Then, more glue-frugal building sequences involving all possible groups in the wing
    area only yield worse results.

I still have to try out adding insignia flap parts somewhere, although that will probably
    also be conflictive because they will also cause problems from some viewpoints...

So anyway, for the moment, hereīs WIP model Version 3.
    Itīs definitely better than before!

It has transparent, inhabited cockpit with provisional dashboard, and also working flaps,
    whose display isnīt perfect though. Then, underneath nacelle-wingroots and upper cabin
    spars in VC view still need a bit of work.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tigercat-WIP-3.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 1st, 2019 at 05:09.

Improved wing glue-sequence

Hello All,
    As I mentioned before, there is a glue problem at the engine nacelles, where outer
    flaps and central and outer wing sections must be glued. Upto now, all wing/flap/nacelle
    elements are in Wing Mid left/right.

However, there IS a combination with another group that offers a little improvement.
    Splitting the sequence in two, and combining it with Inner Wing Mid left/right, it improves:

Wing Mid left/right now only groups outer wing/flap elements (central wing sections,
    outer flaps and outer wings).

Innerwing Mid left/right now groups inner wing/flap elements, engine-nacelles, and the
    little wing-top convexities.

Flaps now display properly, both retracted and extended, and the wing-top convexities too.
    However, as AF99 now uses automatic glue between the two groups, thereīs a slight,
    momentary bleed between nacelles and central wing sections.

Nevertheless, it all looks much better, and quite promising...

Update: I tried using separated inner and outer nacelle-half components again, this time
    in the new glue sequences mentioned above, but it only brought back the previous
    flap/nacelle bleeds.

So, the lesser evil seems to be the momentary outer nacelle-wall bleeding through the wing
    when viewed from vertically above, which is not a commonly used viewing angle anyway. Also,
    with the dark-blue colour scheme on this model, I suppose this small flaw will go largely unnoticed.

Iīll get on with the wheel wells and doors now, and then start on the textures.
    More, later...
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 3rd, 2019 at 11:22.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Negligible nacelle bleeds

Hello All,
    I found a FS98 example from 1999, of the Tigercat in Navy-blue livery by Chris Lampard,
    with rather good textures.

I am loosely basing the textures for the CFS1 Tigercat on these, lightening up the overall
    colour slightly, adapting the texture mapping to fit, and changing the markings.

As expected, once textured, the nacelle bleeds virtually disappear, as the nacelles are
    textured in the same dark-blue as the wings.

Here are some "after-before" screenshots.
    The one on the right (furthermost) has the yellow-coloured, untextured nacelles bleeding
    through the top wings, and the one on the left (furthermost) shows how the textures
    conceal the bleeds.

So thatīs one problem solved, that was still bothering me to some extent.
    Even for a possible re-paint of the model in silver-grey likefor example the "Test" prototype
    Tigercat, the bleeds would also go unnoticed.

Then, the centre screenshot shows texture progress on wings, fin and tailplanes.
    I got the typeface correct this time!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nacellebleed-2.jpg   textured some.jpg   Nacellebleed-1.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 8th, 2019 at 10:03.

Wheel-door/ Engine-nacelle bleeds

Hello Folks,
    Slowly things are coming together, and I still have to decide on the registration number.

Candidates for this F7F-1 model are either number 99, with the number only on the tail,
    and not on the wings, engine nacelles or nose, or alternatively number 01, with numbers
    painted on the fin and on the nose. Possibly Iīll go for the 01.

At the moment, thereīs bleed-battles between wheel doors and engine nacelles.
    Wheel-wells seem OK grouped in Wing Low left/right, but wheel-doors make problems there,
    despite glue templates. Similar problems also arise if grouped with the landing gear in
    Gear Left/Right, with inner-doors in Gear Centre, or also, grouped in Innerwing Mid Left/Right,
    glued in sequence with the nacelles.

The problems in these 3 available grouping methods seem to be caused on one hand, by the
    low-reaching engine-nacelles, and on the other, by the the landing gear being positioned right
    at the front of the wheel doors. So, Iīll have to see if I can at least find a lesser evil...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel-door bleeds.jpg  

Improvements very slow...

Hello all,
    A small but dubious improvement was a 4th grouping method, involving engine-nacelles grouped in
    Wing Low Left/right and sequenced with wheel-wells and doors, eliminating the Nacelle/Door interaction,
    leaving only a Gearstrut/Door one.

However, it ruined the rather nicely-working sequence achieved previously, that properly displayed inner
    and outer flaps with the nacelle in-between.

Sixpence of one and half a shilling of the other...

Update - Surprisingly, quite an improvement:
    Iīve just moved the gear-doors and wells from Wing Low left/right back into Innerwing Mid Left/right again,
    but with a more precise glue-sequence, so this time it has worked much better!

Flaps, nacelles and wheel doors display correctly. It is a combination of the positive results of the last two trials.
    Now the only a remaining minor issue is the landing gear struts shining through the wheel doors.

Expectedly, duplicating the wheel-doors into the landing-gear groups as insignia parts did the trick.
    Itīs not perfect on the inner wheel-door, but it will have to suffice.

Update 2 - Still not perfect:
    Yet another glitch: The inner wing shines through the nacelles! Thereīs always the kicker, isnīt there?
    So many parts in the Innerwing Mid left/right groups now, that itīs got very complicated.
    Not even duplicating the engine-nacelles works... the nacelles then shine through the inner wings!

Letīs see if slowly but surely we can get what we want... Maybe some mumbo-jumbo will work.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gear-doors better.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 9th, 2019 at 10:23.

Time for another WIP model!

Hello Folks,
    Although there is still a considerable amount of work to be done, I think the improvements so
    far warrant another WIP model post.
    Itīs not going too badly, which is very pleasing.

The main aspect still needing work are the hairline cracks and fine adjustments of parts in several different areas of the model.
    These defects are now more apparent given the dark-blue navy textures the aircraft now has.

The model is now fully textured with provisional No. 99 Navy textures, but the panelling still needs to be improved.
    There were lots of adjustments and alterations made to the textures of the FS98 Tigercat by Chris Lampard, so the resemblance has practically disappeared, although they proved very useful as a starting point and guideline.

Summarizing over the previous WIP-V3, in Version 4:
    -Wheelwells and geardoors have been put in, and display is reasonably acceptable, although there are still some minor bleeds of geardoors through the wing seen from above, and also through the propeller disc, although this last thing will be a bit hard to solve.
    - Flaps display has been improved, and the glue sequences involved are more effective.
    - The .air file has been improved a bit further as regards wheel stance on the tarmac. Suggestions as to aircraft behaviour will be welcome.
    As before:
    - Panel is aliased to that of P51D Mustang.
    - Sound is aliased to that of the P47D Thunderbolt.

So... Those interested can have fun and play around with the model, and also have a peek inside if they are so inclined.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Navy2.jpg   Navy1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bleed problems

Hello Folks,
    The bleed problems in this model have not been solved yet, and I havenīt made
    any further progress on them, so it is still on standby. I īll see if i can at least
    provide an improvement.

It seems Iīm going to run into similar problems with the new Havoc project.
    Weīll see how it goes...
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Good news

Hello Folks!

At last, a winning streak in the fight against bleeds!
    After several different tries at re-grouping engine nacelles and wheel-doors,
    the annoying bleeds through nacelles and wings have finally gone, and the
    model now good for upload.

Here are some screenshots - the wheeldoors are in bright red to make sure
    I see any naughty bleeds... but it seems OK now. This will of course pave the
    way for succesfull bleed-fighting with the new A-20 Havoc which is well underway
    by now.

Iīll be uploading the model after I adjust the Dp files and finish the readmes.

Cheers
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tigercat Wheeldoors2.jpg   Tigercat wheeldoors1.jpg  

Getting ready...

Hello All,

Getting a model ready for upload is not only the model, but also other things that take
    some time to prepare.

Iīve just done a Tigercat look-alike panel for default CFS1 gauges. It is not exactly like
    the photo-original, but that wasnīt the intention, as I wanted better
    visibility of the
    outside world.
    Iīve also adapted Smiloīs a bomb aimerīs panel for a solid nose,
    re-
    calibrated for the Tigercatīs higher speeds.
    For the moment, hereīs a couple screenshots of the two panels.

Then, the model has to be run through SCASM to correct the virtual cockpit chase
    view,
    so thereīs still some work left before the upload.

Incidentally, I finally managed to get into Flightsim.com, which my browser was blocking,
    by using a different one, and thereīs a good FS98 Tigercat there, albeit without a
    transparent cockpit, so this one wonīt be totally redundant.

Iīve also separated WEP in the .air file from the normal throttle lever travel, and it will
    be 58 inches of mercury for normal max. manifold pressure at full throttle, with 2000 Hp,
    giving
    349 mph at S.L. and 415 mph at 15000 ft.

Then, pressing F10 thereīs an extra 8 inches of mercury for WEP (type 2), with a total
    of 66 inches of MP and 2400 Hp, giving 394 mph at S.L. and 459 mph at 15000 ft.

For CFS1īs single speed blower, this is quite a good approximation to the performance
    with the 2-speed blower in the specs, and I expect it will be quite enjoyable to fly.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tigercat Bomb Aimer.jpg   Tigercat-Panel.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 10th, 2020 at 06:09.

The model now has a SACAM-corrected virtual cockpit, and Iīve implemented some
    propeller blurs á la Ivan, and also liquidated a number of hairline cracks seen from above.

Having forgotten about the hairline cracks seen from below, Iīll have to catch those now,
    and SCASM the model again before I upload it.

Also, after some extra trials, there are now two P&W R-2800-34W engines installed, instead
    of the -22W ones. These deliver 300 more Hp each, and push top speed at critical altitude up from 430 mph to 460 mph, without affecting performance lower down, which is excellent.

This makes it into a very pleasing power-house to fly, and the
    model itself is fortunately
    progressing very nicely after this long lull period. It wonīt be long now.
    Meanwhile, hereīs some more screenshots.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tigercat Virtual Cockpit.jpg   Tigercat taking off.jpg   Tigercat taking off2.jpg  

Grumman Tigercat F7F3 uploaded

Hello Folks,

Once approved by the warbirds library, the Grumman Tigercat F7F3
    will be available at the following link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=27029

I hope you enjoy the aircraft.
    Let me know if anything is amiss!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot2.jpg   Screenshot3.jpg   Screenshot4.jpg  

CFS1 Grumman F7F3 Tigercat.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 1 Aircraft Add-Ons

Description: The Grumman F7F3 Tigercat was an American heavy fighter and light bomber that served with U.S.Navy + U.S. Marine Corps from late WWII until 1954.

This release depicts the third production version, powered by two 2400 Hp P&W R-2800-34W radial engines, with a top speed of 460 mph, of which 189 units were produced. It was the first twin-engined, tricycle-gear fighter deployed by the USN. 364 units of all variants were built.

Includes CFS1 .air file, AFX and PCX Source files, DP files, and custom panel for mostly default gauges, adapted bomb aimer's panel from an original by Smilo, as well as SCASM-corrected virtual cockpit view.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS1 Grumman F7F3 Tigercat.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Members who have read this thread: 1