Help contacting Captain Sim

Thread: Help contacting Captain Sim

Help contacting Captain Sim

I am a valid owner of the Captain Sim Boeing 737. As such, I am eligible for the new version 2,2 (which allows installation into P3Dv4). The CS instructions start with logging into my account and downloading the new version. My problem is that my account does not have the new version in it. So I need to tell this to Captain Sim. Getting customer support requires posting on the Captain Sim Forum. So I register with the forum - BUT (although I'm preregistered) I did not receive the e-mail from Captain Sim that I need to respond to to be fully registered. I can not try to register again. I now have no way to tell my problem to Captain Sim.

Would someone reading this, that CAN post on the Captain Sim forum, please tell them that I need them to respond to this post.

Any other advise would be MOST appreciated.

William Mackay

(Wings of Gold)

Hello,
    the update to P3D v4 from FSX is not free, this being the FSX forum, did you buy the P3D version?
    If you did, normally just downloading the product again does the trick.
    Regards,
    Nick

Hi William,
    I assume, you have bought the FSX version.
    The latest update version is 1.801 for FSX.
    The version 2.2 you mentioned, is for P3Dv4 only.
    You have to buy the whole 737 series again, to use
    it in P3Dv4.( for the full price, needless to say ).
    That's why I will not buy anymore any CS products in the future.

Ulrich

I am with you about Captainsim. I will not buy anymore of their products!

You can always wait for a 9.99 sale and get anything the make. They have them at least twice a year.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    You can always wait for a 9.99 sale and get anything the make. They have them at least twice a year.

Dave

In case it happens, i will think about, but i fear you have to wait this time very very long for it.

Well - now I know what the problem is. Did they every offer a previous P3Dv4 version? My 737ADV (not the base model) is listed as being FSX and P3D.

This is really poor.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Well - now I know what the problem is. Did they every offer a previous P3Dv4 version? My 737ADV (not the base model) is listed as being FSX and P3D.

This is really poor.

Bill
    I beg to differ. FSX (all versions) and P3D (all versions up to v3.x) are 32 bit. P3Dv4.x is 64 bit. A whole new sim really.

I have no problem with devs charging for a different sim. And most of them do so.

Just my two € cents worth of course.

Priller

Hello,me too.

all the expansion packs are marked for FSX and P3D because they work in both FSX and P3D,
    unlike the base packs which are tied to the simulator they were made for.

Adopting a policy of not buying from any aircraft developer because they charge for an update to P3D v4 is
    to rule out some of the best aircraft available from use in P3D v4 and could be seen as cutting off a nose to spite a face.

I am a fan of Captain Sim aircraft models and own a copy of them all but I am also aware that their entire FSX gauge system is incompatible
    with P3D v4 and will require a huge amount of redevelopment to make them compatible.

Because my aim is to enjoy them and not to complain that I have changed away from their compatible simulator and that they
    should therefore do hundreds of hours of work for no money, I simply keep a working version of FSX and fly them in the simulator that they
    were written for.

The same line of thinking would take one to a car dealership to demand that as one had decided to use diesel instead of petrol,
    they were duty bound to supply and fit a new engine, free of charge.

The last 9.99 sale was FSX products only.
    Last edited by ncooper; November 12th, 2018 at 11:12.
    Regards,
    Nick

Hello Nick,

I share the most of your points.
    No developer can or must work without profit
    and not all devs could be so generously like ORBX
    or Carenado for example, to offer their updates without
    any charge to their customers.

I'm of course willing, to pay for any updates,
    but in my opinion it's not fair, to demand a higher price
    than the original, for an product, which isn't an complettly
    new developement (imho!!) as they want to make believe.

Maybe I'm wrong and i would be sorry for it,
    but it looks as they use their default FSX
    models and not completely new ones, so they would
    sold a used car with a new engine with some tunings
    as a new car with a higher price.

I like the CS models much and have a lot of them.
    That's one of my reasons, to have FSX installed
    side by side with P3Dv4.

At the end, the customer decides, where he spend his money
    and it would be a shame, if such a great developer get in trouble
    with his price policy.

For clarification, of course that's just my personal opinion
    and should not discredit or discourage anyone
    to buy any product from any developer.

Regards
    Ulrich

( i hope it don't get any misunderstanding with my poor google english)

I think that the decision to charge or not depends on what is needed to make the product work in P3D v4.
    Some aircraft that use xml gauges pretty much work, so the likes of Aerosoft released their Twin Otter very quickly
    but it already worked in P3D v4 because of the way it was made, so there was nothing to do but write a new
    installer.

Captain Sim on the other hand used all .dll files, not one of which would work in P3D v4 and there were hundreds of them.
    I'm not defending or condemning them, it is how it is and my decision, apart from the new 757 is to fly them in FSX.
    Regards,
    Nick

I think you probably right, Nick,
    No other than the CS devs can evaluate, which effort and costs it is,
    to update an product.
    So only the personal feeling remains, whether a price
    is justified or not ,beside the sometimes limited budget
    ( CS 757 complet i.g. for nearly 170 bucks ),
    to decide what to do or not.

Regards
    Ulrich

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    A lot of people have the disposable income to afford things like The PMDG 747. I would love to see how well they are doing well at that price point.

I love Capt Sim aircraft, especially their B-52. I really think they are justified in charging for the upgrade, but not full price or higher. The aircraft is already done. If the dll’s have to be redone it is no where near the amount of work that the original took. Give your customers a break, it’s good customer service and keeps us coming back.

The CS 9.99 sale has been around January 10/11 for the last few years.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Based on 1) how close in quality some freeware comes to payware generally today and 2) how much higher priced CS P3Dv4 models can be expected to be ($75 for the 757 base pack - wow!) vs. other good payware, it make one wonder if they will generate optimal volumes and ultimately revenues to justify that kind of price point. One visiting here regularly gets a good feel for the customer's price sensitivity and budget. But it's their business, not mine . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 0