Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Ahem. Jeeves was a valet, not a butler. He occasionally butled at a pinch but only if absolutely necessary, what what!
    now I think you're just being moggy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hqdefault.jpg  
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

who ever heard of a valet who butles...prap's on the docks after midnight one might imagine but certainly not in society..gad
    enter..the Sandman

anyone who is familiar with a netflix show 'F is for Family' must chuckle at these old Mohawk Airline references..

and I can't help but wonder if this ever happened in flight..
    enter..the Sandman

Oh NO! It's the Demogorgon from Stranger Things! Seriously though, this is awesome accessibility! I wonder why this wasn't done on the Mars rather than risk dropping cowling panels into the drink? (Other than getting past the side petals via the attachable work platforms would've been tricky if they were open.)

lol - looking forward to season 3...
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    lol - looking forward to season 3...
    JULY FOURTH!!!!!! I wonder if anything will stem from the odd stand alone episode from season 2 and make it seem not so out of place?

Hi Jan,

I'm hoping that you will have the chance to grace us here with an occasional progress update on your Convair project.

Bill

I'll loan you my stick..it says 'N3N' on it but that isn't important right now - Jan (and the horse) don't care either way
    enter..the Sandman

Well, slowly but steadily is the word today guys. Finishing up the maingearbays including anims and such.

Did some work on the N3N too, Heywoody ! Putting the first gauges in the Convair VC so i put some in the N3N's VC as well.

Note: actually quite surprised to see the main landinggear doors being closed/opend by the gear's front folding strut pushing down on/letting go of (thru a spring) both doors' connection strut. No hydraulics or electrics involved...sort of an Aha erlebnis for me.. Good example of KISS

Until later,
    Jan

that is some very CLEAN work, Jan...

also a nice engineering touch at Convair..less is more- or at least equal in this case
    enter..the Sandman

and don't think I'm not equally happy to know that the N3N got a little equal time too..
    enter..the Sandman

Thank H. ! Yeah, i was actually thinking of popping the question here: anyone knows what that contraption is for that connects both doors ?.... Adding it to the model and playing around with it made the quarter drop... hehe.. No way of seeing landinggears/doors at work in RW videos of course. Still not sure about if the aft part of the nacelle, in conjunction with the flaps, moves independently of the flaps movement..

cheers,
    jan

Jan, I believe there's a hydraulic arm that runs upwards from the center of the linkage, which is how the two doors actuate in sync. Vertical motion translates into opening and closing via the contraption.

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Jan, I believe there's a hydraulic arm that runs upwards from the center of the linkage, which is how the two doors actuate in sync. Vertical motion translates into opening and closing via the contraption.

C
    Mwaw..... don't think so, Carl. Here beneath you can clearly see the boatlike apperature where the upper folding strut will fit into once the gear is almost up into the bay. With the final movement of the gear the upper strut, now resting on the boatlike apperature, will push it upwards so that the two vertical 'latches' pull on the doorhinges henceforth closing the doors. Also attached to the two latches you can see the springs that pull the doors open once the upper folding strut has left the boatlike apperature upon deploying the gear. No hydraulics needed.. Pretty neat, huh.. ;-) ( to deploy/retract the gear there's only one small hydraulic cylinder that can be seen clearly in the model screenies)

patiently waiting for takeoff while smiling politely out the windows...people have changed quite a bit in a half century
    enter..the Sandman

Everything looks so real, beautiful job!

Hello Jan,

that are excellent news! And it looks amazing already. I've been waiting for a good Convair for a long time now and I'm already looking forward to do some repaints for it

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post

patiently waiting for takeoff while smiling politely out the windows...people have changed quite a bit in a half century
    Aeroplanes too, mate.. Nice shot, Heywoood! It's not very often that the cockpit is lightend up like that in a photo. Good for measuring the pilot figures once i'll get to that. ( in fact the N3N student is already inthere.. hehe.. )

Quote Originally Posted by manecas View Post
    Everything looks so real, beautiful job!
    Thanks, manecas !

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    Hello Jan,that are excellent news! And it looks amazing already. I've been waiting for a good Convair for a long time now and I'm already looking forward to do some repaints for it

Greetings
    Tim
    Thanks, Tim !

Lufthansa, right ?

Cheers,
    jan

The Convair is really high on my list of aircraft I would like to see modern versions of so am very excited to see Jan working on it. Nothing against the N3N but we have gotten several very cool biplanes recently and am happy to see something different.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks, manecas !

Thanks, Tim !

Lufthansa, right ?

Cheers,
    jan

Lufthansa should be nice....mmmhh...KLM too....

Hi Jan,

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks, Tim !

Lufthansa, right ?
    yes, Lufthansa and United, Eastern, Western, Braniff...with the Convair the possibilities are almost endless

It looks like there is no padding in the cockpit of the Convair. But please let me know should you need some help with the bump maps

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    Hi Jan,yes, Lufthansa and United, Eastern, Western, Braniff...with the Convair the possibilities are almost endless
    It looks like there is no padding in the cockpit of the Convair. But please let me know should you need some help with the bump maps

Greetings
    Tim
    You bet, Tim, thanks already!

Re padding in the cockpit, actually some do indeed have padding, usually on the roof only. Saddens me to say though that there's a very sad story attached to this particular example, too significant not to mention. This is the cockpit of a C-131D Samaritan, last year still registered as ZS-BRV in South-Afrika :

It just so happend that our Aviodrome museum acquired this aircraft which was supposed to be ferried to Lelystad, Netherlands in July 2018.

During its final testflight before the ferry would take place however, shortly after take-off from Wonderboom Airport, Pretoria, the left engine caught fire resulting a few minutes later in the aircraft's crash in an industrial area north of Pretoria. Considering the severity of the crash the fact that only one crew member of the 16 passengers and 3 crewmembers on board didn't survive the crash might be called a miracle.

Details can be found here : https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=20180710-0

It would've been such a joy to drive up to Lelystad and see/hear the aircraft for real. Alas it was not to be.. This unfortunate happening was never revealed to us, the general public, in the news on TV nore in the papers, atleast not to my knowledge. I have just learned about it...

Coming back on topic, i'll stick with no padding for the common 240/340 editions and maybe see about adding it to the VC of a few 'speciallities' later on.

It may still take a while before i'll call on you, Tim, but hopefully this year..

cheers,
    jan

Members who have read this thread: 0