Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Beauty indeed, Heywoood, nice piccie too. That would be red, right ? And thanks for the movie link but i had seen it already for a couple times... Great movie!

Cheers,
    Jan
    Yes - the paint is red over white above and polished aluminum below the equator and on the wings and tail. I figured you might have seen the old film but imagined others might not have..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I don't usually do this..I prefer to do my own work when it comes to miniatures and scale models. But this struck me as a fairly well molded and detailed example - more so than is typical of die-cast examples I have seen previously.

JC Wings is the mfg - the scale is 1/200 so it is very small but quite fine.

this is the first die cast anything I have ever purchased
    enter..the Sandman

Just to add to the collection of photos
    Navy R4Y aka C-131 Samaritan.... I actually rode on one of theses from Nas Alameda Ca to NAS Miramar after completion of a WestPac Cruise many moons ago.
    Navy VR squadrons used them.

Do you have a 'special relationship' with the Convairliner, Bjoern ?
    I've never seen a real one.

But you have to admit that the turbo conversion is one attractive combination. It can do just about anything.

Sinking a few dozen hours into the old CC model and a hundred more into the unfinished rebuild probably did their thing as well.

looks good in the old Continental livery..

here's the real N73106 same colors

and again - same aircraft in Frontier livery
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I don't usually do this..I prefer to do my own work when it comes to miniatures and scale models. But this struck me as a fairly well molded and detailed example - more so than is typical of die-cast examples I have seen previously.
    JC Wings is the mfg - the scale is 1/200 so it is very small but quite fine.
    Nice model, Heywoood but what did they think of doing the prop and hub ? It looks like the one i did for the N3N... ;-) :

Supposed to look like this:

Working on the props, flaps, nosegear and doors:

this is the first die cast anything I have ever purchased
    I'm not putting you to new expenses with my sudden Convair hobby, am i ?....

I certainly know about collecting die-cast models can wear your credit card out... I have always build my own aircraft, ship and car models, never new something like 'die-cast' even existed. Until about maybe 10 years ago... Now i have a significant collection of die-cast ( more or less lately 'resin'..) 1:18 car models. Collected from all over the world with emphasis on race-car models ( preferably vintage and especially the 1960's period) and other vintage models and super cars. No aircraft, they don't fit in the vitrine.. ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

Nice model, Heywoood but what did they think of doing the prop and hub ? It looks like the one i did for the N3N... ;-) :

Supposed to look like this:

Working on the props, flaps, nosegear and doors:

Cheers,
    Jan
    WOW!!! Very smooth model Jan! First class renderings!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

SOH-CM-2020
    Amazing developement with this classic Convair.

I'm looking forward to it's completion.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've never seen a real one.
    Really?.... Ok, i might be a year or two older than you... ;-) The Convairs, along with the Douglasses and Connies of course, are the main reason of my aviation monkey sitting on my back just about all my live. My father used to take me to 1950's/1960's Schiphol and, totally unheard of today, you could take a ride on a 'train' pulled by a tractor that would drive around the tarmac and visit the maintenance hangars where you often could even board an aircraft and be shown around. If that doesn't firmly invest a little boy with an ever lasting aviation bug i don't know what will... Sipping soda pop out of those green round bottles of 'Joy' on the terrace while watching the passengers board and unboard the various airliners, start-up and taxi out, one even more beautiful and impressive than the other, is something this particular boy could simply never ever forget.

But you have to admit that the turbo conversion is one attractive combination. It can do just about anything.

Sinking a few dozen hours into the old CC model and a hundred more into the unfinished rebuild probably did their thing as well.
    Ah, ok, so it's not like riding the 'Nostalgia Special' or anything like that. That's it pretty much for me.. ;-) Must say i do feel privileged to still be able to have fun utilizing my long last aviation hobby and still keep on 'building' aircraft models (due to physical restrictions i had to quit the 'normal' way of building aircraft models or any kind of models. Long live computers !! )

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Amazing developement with this classic Convair.

I'm looking forward to it's completion.

Pete.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    WOW!!! Very smooth model Jan! First class renderings!
    Thanks Ted and Pete ! It's a lotta fun !

Cheers,
    Jan

Some neat stuff about the CV-240 and up. KLM had 12 CV-240's and 14 CV-340's.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/convair_tec.htm

Really?.... Ok, i might be a year or two older than you... ;-)
    Make that one or two decades. Maybe even three.

Ah, ok, so it's not like riding the 'Nostalgia Special' or anything like that.
    Well, I can flex it. I've grown up with things being shut down and dismantled all around me and I've got a thing for closed airports, and Convairs were very popular at the old DEN, so

Okay, that's admittedly a bit of a stretch.

By the way: I volunteer for an X-Plane conversion.

lol - yes Jarvis, the prop hubs are not ideal...but overall the impression of a Convair c240 is pretty good.

My dad and I would sit at the east end of Lindberg Field RWY27 (1970-72) and he would call out each aircraft type as they landed and departed.
    The filling shakers were the old 737 and 727 Boeing jets - we would roll the windows up when they loaded up on the throttle for takeoff.

it was still early enough though that we would see Electra 188's (Lake Havasu and other regional lines) and some freight haulers in DC6's coming and going..there also was a Guppy that General Dynamics used to haul missile components in and out with occasionally
    enter..the Sandman

Mdw 1930 to present fotos

if you are interested in 240s and 340s this site has an extensive foto gallery of the worlds "busiest" airport from the good old days . lots of color fotos for the painters.
    if my inset doesn't work the website is MIDWAY HISTORIANS. i lived 1100' off the end of 31L , as measured with google maps . those were the days.

https://www.midwayhistorians.com/Photos.html

N3N for real!

Blown cylinder! OUCH!!!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Javis - before things started going to pot (no pun intended) in the late /60s on most Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights you could go to the approach end of the active runways at Detroit Metro-Wayne County airport (as it was called then) and join a crowd of maybe 100 or so folks who always showed up on those evenings to catch the incoming airliners on short final. It was a wonderful mix of DC-6s and -7, plus CV440s and 580s and a TON of jets passing overhead. The closest parallel is the spectator landing view at St Maarten's, although the ones we watched with such fascination were a little higher than that. The sheriff's dept didn't mind as long as we stayed well off the road and remained clear of the boundary fence.

If you drove just a few miles further you could do the same thing at Willow Run, the the view was more restricted to most propeller-driven aircraft. We saw cargo DC-6s and -7s, as well as the Convairs and the occasional C-46 flying for Zantop, who had a terminal there. There weren't that many cargo jets going in there at the time, to my memory.

Like you, I was around 10 or 11 and this left quite an impression on me.

Make that one or two decades. Maybe even three.Well, I can flex it. I've grown up with things being shut down and dismantled all around me and I've got a thing for closed airports, and Convairs were very popular at the old DEN, so Okay, that's admittedly a bit of a stretch.
    Not quite sure what 'DEN' means but i think everybody gets to know about nostalgia sooner or later and when it concerns aviation particularly we can call ourselves blessed with a thing like 'flightsimulator'. I'm sure i'm not the only one that uses it mainly as a digital time machine.

By the way: I volunteer for an X-Plane conversion.
    Once it flies in FSX/P3D be my quest, Bjoern.

lol - yes Jarvis, the prop hubs are not ideal...but overall the impression of a Convair c240 is pretty good.
    Absolutely! Btw, it's Javis. I'm not a butler, you know.

My dad and I would sit at the east end of Lindberg Field RWY27 (1970-72) and he would call out each aircraft type as they landed and departed.
    The filling shakers were the old 737 and 727 Boeing jets - we would roll the windows up when they loaded up on the throttle for takeoff.
    Sounds great, H., literally and figuratively! I remember virtually landing at KSAN many times using real (expired) Jeppesen terminal charts and that a certain NDB approach for Rwy 27 was particularly beautiful and interesting. I don't do that no more... Quite sad if you think about, isn't it..

it was still early enough though that we would see Electra 188's (Lake Havasu and other regional lines) and some freight haulers in DC6's coming and going..there also was a Guppy that General Dynamics used to haul missile components in and out with occasionally
    Never seen a Guppy for real ( Ok, sure, in my fishtank ) but i witnessed the transformation from propliners to turbopropliners ( Viscount, Electra, Friendship ) to jetliners (DC-8, 707) from close-up too of course. Didn't realize just yet i was witnessing the beginning of the end of the (IMHO) most beautiful era of air passenger transportation, both beautiful in sight and sound !

Quote Originally Posted by BUDSCH View Post
    if you are interested in 240s and 340s this site has an extensive foto gallery of the worlds "busiest" airport from the good old days . lots of color fotos for the painters.
    if my inset doesn't work the website is MIDWAY HISTORIANS. i lived 1100' off the end of 31L , as measured with google maps . those were the days.
    https://www.midwayhistorians.com/Photos.html
    Fantastic site, Budsch, thanks !

Some neat stuff about the CV-240 and up. KLM had 12 CV-240's and 14 CV-340's.
    http://www.ruudleeuw.com/convair_tec.htm
    Yes, i must've seen them all ! Thanks, Ted.

Blown cylinder! OUCH!!!
    I'm almost sure i've seen that video before.... I remember feeling a bit sorry for this N3N, i mean he's no Slim Whitman, is he.... Resembles a bit Murphy's initial flight with the Duck, doesn't it..

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Javis - before things started going to pot (no pun intended) in the late /60s on most Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights you could go to the approach end of the active runways at Detroit Metro-Wayne County airport (as it was called then) and join a crowd of maybe 100 or so folks who always showed up on those evenings to catch the incoming airliners on short final. It was a wonderful mix of DC-6s and -7, plus CV440s and 580s and a TON of jets passing overhead. The closest parallel is the spectator landing view at St Maarten's, although the ones we watched with such fascination were a little higher than that. The sheriff's dept didn't mind as long as we stayed well off the road and remained clear of the boundary fence.
    I can easily imagine that must've been very exiting, SS101 ! That's a big airport, huh.. It resembles a bit my home airport Schiphol (EHAM) as it is now. Looks like there's a LOT of work going on there, atleast at the time the Google Maps car was driving around there...

If you drove just a few miles further you could do the same thing at Willow Run, the the view was more restricted to most propeller-driven aircraft. We saw cargo DC-6s and -7s, as well as the Convairs and the occasional C-46 flying for Zantop, who had a terminal there. There weren't that many cargo jets going in there at the time, to my memory.
    Like you, I was around 10 or 11 and this left quite an impression on me.
    Again, i can easily relate to that, SS101, you'd almost say 'those were the days', huh.... Today, here at Schiphol, there's still a 'promenade' for visitors to view the aircraft parked on the tarmac, slightly above it so you have a good view. But the difference between 'then and now' is just staggering. While you'd always be short of eyes to keep track of everything that was going on down there on the tarmac in the 1960's, today it's just a lot of round tubes connected to square tubes. That's about it. Move on..... Nothing to see here.... And let's not talk about the sounds...

In my book of 'Transport Fever' this goes the same for trains and ships, it seems only trucks that get more beautiful as years go by (European that is, America should stick to their old style Macks, Peterbuilds and Kenworths.. )

cheers,
    jan

Absolutely! Btw, it's Javis. I'm not a butler, you know.

cheers,
    jan
    lol, everyone knows Jeeves is the butler, Jarvis drives the Bentley...

sorry man, it was some type o' typo
    enter..the Sandman

Yes, i must've seen them all ! Thanks, Ted.

I'm almost sure i've seen that video before.... I remember feeling a bit sorry for this N3N, i mean he's no Slim Whitman, is he.... Resembles a bit Murphy's initial flight with the Duck, doesn't it..

cheers,
    jan
    This one remaster without music just recently. I wasn't sure the N3N was going to make it even clearing the tree line.

I hadnt seen it before, thanks for posting the vid. Struck by how much water the aircraft has to push around and how submerged the centerline pontoon gets during taxi and takeoff!
    I didn’t think it was going to clear the treeline either..I bet them fellers on the ground were wishing they’d found a smaller pilot at least once during that excersize
    enter..the Sandman

lol, everyone knows Jeeves is the butler, Jarvis drives the Bentley...

sorry man, it was some type o' typo
    Hey, no problemo, dude and i'd be willing to keep the 'r' just as i can drive that Bentley !

ICAO code= KDEN ( i wasn't thinking about a US airport in relation to you, Björn. Don't you live in Germany ?...)

Well, I meant IATA. *Ahem*

I sure am 125.73% Kraut (mostly sour), but that doesn't stop me from being interested in aviation in the country that took the concept and ran hog wild with it. I've got almost all of Rob Serling's books about airline biographies* plus some about the wild 1980s and each is a much more interesting read than any state-run airline here or elsewhere (well, maybe Aeroflot) could have ever provided - even Interflug, which I hold dear for different reasons.

My enthusiasm for trains stays within the country border or at least on the continent though.

* All ordered online from second had bookstores based in the UK or USA. The one about Eastern is doubly special because Frank Borman himself had signed it for the original owner.

Ahem. Jeeves was a valet, not a butler. He occasionally butled at a pinch but only if absolutely necessary, what what!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0