Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Seen Me?...my name is N3N

Is it Military or Commercial aviation..?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Good thinking. It's Commercial *and* militairy...
    Last edited by Javis; February 4th, 2019 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Heywoood, sorry to say that the N3N (together with the current C-47/DC-3 operations) has been put in a corner of the hangar because something else came along that demanded the construction area.

Be cool.
    Ah... that's ok, follow your passions, I'm for that!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Here's a hint. This'll possibly narrow it down :

Nice, Ted !

Convair B36 six turning and four burning
    enter..the Sandman

Here's a hint. This'll possibly narrow it down :

Nice, Ted !
    Thanks Jan. Working with a C-47 DR.mdl from Manfred, prepping when your ready. More progress pics here: http://sectionf8.com/newforum/index....pic,214.0.html

Can't resist a good riddle. No idea what the aerial shot shows. Something that's being restored? The forked u/c legs spells "Douglas" to me, but it doesn't get me anywhere. You haven't teamed up with Bendyflier, have you, and vamping up an Old Shakey? But that wouldn't be mil and commercial. It's probably something that's lurking around in Lelystad... wait ... does it have a crossbar on its nose u/c leg?? Somehow that does ring a bell...

Jan,

Its really good to hear there is nothing physically wrong with you. I won't allow myself to do any comments on the mental part .

And do the wheels perhaps belong to a Douglas C-124 Globemaster II?

Cheers,
    Huub

Well, this certainly is a ways off too of course but personally i've always liked those 'guessing games' that some devs used to present to give away the identity of a new project. Never had that chance myself so why not cast the iron while it's a hot.

So here's a little scribble for you to sink your teeth into. Hopefully it turns out a nice surprise.

That's my guess Convair C-131 (military) CV 240, 340, 440, etc. (civilian).

Very good detailed walkaround pics of several military versions.

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waC131no1.html
    Last edited by TuFun; February 5th, 2019 at 02:20.

I knew that ... no I didn't. Brilliant, Ted!

First in my mind was a twin radial, something similar to a DC3 with a tricycle gears. Something that you or Jan would do.

A Convairliner!!! Now that would be a wonderfull surprise!

Ok, cat's outta the bag. Convairliner indeed. Well done, Ted, you sure know your landinggears !

Aerial photo is San Diego where many Convairs were build. Arrow points to a building called 'The Convair Sailing Club' but Ted didn't need all that. ;-)

In my flightsim book the Convairliner series has been overly neclected while it made such a good start way back when in the FS5/FS95 times with a, for that time, exceptional beautiful model by master artist Pierre Ardichvilli whom i had the great pleasure to work with (VIP Group). Later on followed by a, also for that time (i believe FS2K), equally beautiful model by Greg Pepper. And with that rendition, possibly created as far back as the previous century...) support for the Convairliner came to a hold. No native FSX version let alone P3D. Many repaints are done for Greg's model so there must be sort of a substantial group of followers of this particular aircraft. Certainly an iconic aircraft as it was the offical follow-up of the DC-3.

Always loved the Convairliner, with its bulky nose and beautifully clean shaped engine nacelles and particularly its empennage culminating in this beautiful symetric endpoint of lines (also because the fuselage is almost perfectly round). No idea why it never followed the route of expansion of its FS propliner cousines i.e. DC-3,-4,-6, North Star, Connie, Stratocruiser and even C-46, the're all there in our beloved flightsim heavens, one even more meticulously replicated than the other. Blatantly missing in this line-up: the Convairliner.

Long story short, time to do something about it. Very much WIP no doubt but it's on the blocks.

Intention is to concentrate on the 240 and 340 (plus militairy variants C-131 and T-29) and see about further development later (in between work on the C-47/DC-3 and N3N will continue. Spice of life and all that.. ;-)

Hope it's a nice surprise for you proplovers outthere.

Cheers,
    jan
    Last edited by Javis; February 5th, 2019 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Convair B36 six turning and four burning
    Heyman, atleast correct on the Convair !

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Can't resist a good riddle. No idea what the aerial shot shows. Something that's being restored? The forked u/c legs spells "Douglas" to me, but it doesn't get me anywhere. You haven't teamed up with Bendyflier, have you, and vamping up an Old Shakey? But that wouldn't be mil and commercial. It's probably something that's lurking around in Lelystad... wait ... does it have a crossbar on its nose u/c leg?? Somehow that does ring a bell...
    Most probabely a Connie bell, Manfred The Convairliner has such a contraption indeed while the Douglasses didn't. The Connie has one as well but sadly there is no use for a flightsim Connie, beautifully represented in abundance in all of its glory in various ways.

Talk to you later,

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Jan,

Its really good to hear there is nothing physically wrong with you.
    Thanks, Huub. appreciate it !

I won't allow myself to do any comments on the mental part .
    No, better not go there... ;-)

And do the wheels perhaps belong to a Douglas C-124 Globemaster II?
    Not a bad guess indeed ! But as you can see it turns out a bit smaller.. ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    First in my mind was a twin radial, something similar to a DC3 with a tricycle gears. Something that you or Jan would do.
    Spot on, mate !

Quote Originally Posted by marijn View Post
    A Convairliner!!! Now that would be a wonderfull surprise!
    A wish come true. KLM 240 and 340, right ? ;-)

cheers,
    Jan

Heyman, atleast correct on the Convair !
    tongue in cheek - can you imagine the B36 hauling pax...lol

..never knew Convair made a 'liner - just knew they were mfg here in SD..a couple of those B36 broke through the concrete at Lindberg Field back when -
    a good deal of the ramps, aprons, and the RW itself had to be reinforced to accommodate the pressure applied by those two gigantic main wheels..

besides, who doesn't like to say 'Convair'...

..that IS a beautiful air frame BtW...looks like it was poured out of a bottle..but the tail looks just like the B36. Wonder if it is a straight cross over? how do the drawings compare I wonder
    enter..the Sandman

That is very pleasing news. Very good selection of a plane that deserves a fat dollop of recognition and would find a lot of hours in the air, much as the real ones still do.

I find it interesting that we still have later Convair airframes mixing it up with regular commercial traffic.....not just in the far reaches and back-country, but throughout continental North America.

One just has to drive by the south end of YVR and look out at the Purolator compound to see anywhere from one to three CV-580's (Kelowna Flightcraft Charter) at any given time, along with the same number of Boeing 727's.

Not a museum.....they're hauling freight day in and day out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHE7gdMrz6E

Ok, cat's outta the bag. Convairliner indeed.
    Where were you three or four years ago when I needed somebody to give the 580 an external overhaul so I could concentrate on the guts and glory, i.e. the interior? :/

I still have the 3ds Max source files though, so if you need anything, holla.

A wish come true. KLM 240 and 340, right ? ;-)

cheers,
    Jan
    Yes indeed sir! I am glad that you are taking this one on. Not to say anything unpleasant about Gregg Peppers one but a true FSX/P3D version...that's a dream coming true.

thanks a lot!

Marijn

Well, so much for the discussion on the N3N.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

we can chew gum and walk at the same time pal

enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    That's my guess Convair C-131 (military) CV 240, 340, 440, etc. (civilian).

Very good detailed walkaround pics of several military versions.

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waC131no1.html
    Great site indeed ! Lots of good photo material around but what is remarkably lacking is good scale drawings. Actually i found nothing worthwhile in the net. Tried my luck with a book from the Naval Fighters series. Nr.14 about the T-29, R4Y/C-131 and CC 109. Good drawings i can work with but i think the accuracy remains uncertain. Ah well, for boys with toys it's good enough.

Did find some good sound material though. These P&W R-2800's make some wonderful noise !

Members who have read this thread: 0