CFS Effects - display text and sound related

Thread: CFS Effects - display text and sound related

Hybrid View

CFS Effects - display text and sound related

questions for effect experienced modders:

1. ist it possible to render (display) a text when some effect event instead of DDS image?

2. how to link a sound sample with user made effect event?

1. Not possible as far as I know.

2. Yes. Below is an example of a sound effect in the effects xml, which is then added to the group effect which contains all the parts of the effect involved in the event. The group effect is what is referenced in the xdp.

<snd_drop_tank_release ClassName="SoundEffect" Sound="drop_tank_release" InitialDelay="0.0" MinDistance="1" MaxDistance="50" Volume="100" Loop="0" OneShot="1"/>

<fx_DROPTANK_RELEASE ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="DROPTANK_RELEASE_SPRAY" Effect1="DROPTANK_RELEASE_1" Effect2="DROPTANK_RELEASE_2" Effect3="DROPTANK_RELEASE_SPRAY_DUMMY" Effect4="snd_drop_tank_release"/>

The red highlighted section refers to the section where the actual .wav file is called in the sounds.xml:

<drop_tank_release Random="no" MinDistance="3" Looping="no" InternalOnly="no" Stereo="Yes" Relative="No" Atten="1" No3D="Yes" Update="Yes">
    <sound file="drop_tanks.wav" fileInt="drop_tanks.wav"/>
    </drop_tank_release>

Blog Entries
    If the text was a dds image then it should be able to call it up just like a flak puff for example.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Yes. Below is an example
    thank you, youve described exactly my goal - I wish to hear a "click" sound when released the Blitz project RATO pods. from some reason they have no sound. the RATO pod is mountable loadout item (WeaponType="drop_tank").

the RATO pod related XDP have its own effect section, where is also defined the parachute feature as Effect Type="Track". this works well. the RATO pod is no M3D encoded emitter, it use the XDP virtual one.

I would gladly avoid of any sounds.xml file edits, so I took original bomb_drop sound definition from there and did a new RATO related effect.xml item:

<Ar234_RATO_release ClassName="SoundEffect" Sound="bomb_drop" InitialDelay="0.0" MinDistance="1" MaxDistance="50" Volume="100" Loop="0" OneShot="1"/>

No Effect group defined.

With the effect row, see below, added into the RATO pod XDP I am getting the wanted sound, but it is looped.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="Ar234_RATO_release" />

The sound loop problem is the Effect Type="Track" definition I would guess. Ive tried a few other ones, but it seems none of the other types could solve it - no sound then

List of known Effect types btw:

Track
    JetExhaust
    JetExhaust0
    JetExhaust1
    JetExhaust2
    JetExhaust3
    StartEngine
    StartEngine0
    StartEngine1
    StartEngine2
    StartEngine3
    TouchDown
    WheelTouchDown
    WheelDirt
    WheelConcrete
    WheelWater
    ScrapeTouchDown
    ScrapeDirt
    ScrapeConcrete
    ScrapeWater
    Shells0
    Shells1
    Shells2
    Shells3
    Shells4
    Shells5
    Shells6
    Shells7
    Shells8
    Shells9
    Shells10
    Shells11
    Shells12
    Shells13
    Shells14
    Shells15

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle
    If the text was a dds image then it should be able to call it up just like a flak puff for example.
    yes I did it that way, just asking for easier alternative
    Last edited by BorekS; November 9th, 2018 at 03:01.

Putting it in a group effect will prevent it from sounding again until the last effect in the group is completed. If one of those effects has a very long lifetime, you will only hear the sound once. This effect doesn't have to be visible, it just controls how frequently the group effect repeats.

thank you for another bit of explanation.

I see, sounds logical the effect group usage now to me however it doesnt seems to be too much practical. I dont know what means a very long lifetime, but what you described means the effect group "container" content actually loops since the game play end, right? so, lets say, afer a hour of game play I can hear the sound effect again.

anyway the effect group should look somehow as below, right?

<fx_RATO_release ClassName="GroupEffect" Effect0="Ar234_RATO_release_snd" Effect1="Ar234_RATO_very_long_lifetime_dummy" />

can you please put here some template (sample) for the second "dummy" Effect1 definition, which would cause the very long lifetime, to avoid of to hear the Effect0 ingame anymore?

note: I thought if the Effect1 would loop itself again and again, it would never allow to let run the Effect0 inthe group maybe.

still I think the main issue is my RATO pods (fuel tanks) use Effect Type="Track".

Members who have read this thread: 0