AH Avro Lancaster B1

Thread: AH Avro Lancaster B1

AH Avro Lancaster B1

After the release and usual flurry on this one I left it alone for awhile until I finally got the beasty about a week ago. Still getting used to it and time short at the moment. Have not had a chance to put it through its paces, only thing I note is it seems a little slow at light loads in climb and cruise and on my system a bit of frame hog. Other than that any views or issues anyone have with this one? I had the earlier Lanc Special by AH for 2004, as they are not going to do any other variants anybody tried a portover the new interior model panel etc into the earlier version?

I do have an issue with the load time on this one, to view details and to get it into the sim and occasional CTD trying to load it - support ticket submitted. Seems to relate to the textures being loaded as well. No other model does this not even the PMDG DC-6 or A2A Connie.

Not many repaints about but does not matter as they covered the Aussies pretty well on the release.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; November 6th, 2018 at 02:33.

Answer cannot use the new interior and panel in the older AH versions of the Lancaster, the perennial FSX v MS2004 model file issue. Not to worry played around with the views etc and came up with a reasonably good set that actually starts you correctly in the pilot seat and gives you the main interior stations that were actually model in some detail in the 2004 version.

So sticking with the latest B model from AH is very nice and the load time issue has improved and performance is fine. With the older version the range is complete, Dambuster, Tallboy and Upkeep plus the French Naval Reconnaissance mode. Great. The older ones still have the subpanels as per 2004 but I can live with that. I can see why no other variants were on AH's list, it would require a rebuild for all of them to get them to the same level as the new FSX/P3D version.

Bendyflyer, as I don't have this Lancaster, I can not check. But what I know from the past and other models is that AH often uses many textures in mainly in 32 bits format and in the maximum resolution. For a modern model for FSX and P3D I assume they will use 4096x4096 textures. This of course results in the best graphic quality, but when you to this is 32 bits, also in huge file sizes. Therefore models like this normally require a lot of graphic memory.

This could explain the long loading time.

Cheers,
    Huub

In no way will the old interior be compatible. None of the animation routines written especially for this model or interactivity with the exterior model would be there. Also the init gauge would become orphaned which would have dramatic effects on thew result.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    In no way will the old interior be compatible. None of the animation routines written especially for this model or interactivity with the exterior model would be there. Also the init gauge would become orphaned which would have dramatic effects on thew result.

Hey, thanks for the fat tires in the latest update. Much appreciated.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Hey, thanks for the fat tires in the latest update. Much appreciated.

-d
    ...any chance of seeing a screen shot of those tires ?? thought they looked a bit skinny from the get go !

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    ...any chance of seeing a screen shot of those tires ?? thought they looked a bit skinny from the get go !
    let me see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Bendyflyer, as I don't have this Lancaster, I can not check. But what I know from the past and other models is that AH often uses many textures in mainly in 32 bits format and in the maximum resolution. For a modern model for FSX and P3D I assume they will use 4096x4096 textures. This of course results in the best graphic quality, but when you to this is 32 bits, also in huge file sizes. Therefore models like this normally require a lot of graphic memory.

This could explain the long loading time.

Cheers,
    Huub

That's correct. Filesizes are 4096x4096 each, so memory requirement is huge.

Gunnar van der Meeren

MSFS 2020 Standard/AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7-4.8 GHz/Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 64GB/Asus GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC gaming GDDR6X 24GB

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    ... cheers for this, been on the fence about this one !

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Too True, I was merely hoping to carry over the excellent work of the B2 model into your earlier versions, in particular the French AirForce Patrol version. Anyway happy with the modified views for that one.

The textures are a killer on my system but due to the nature of the GPU for the Video Card I have which has lots of memory but is not a gaming or graphics intensive card, time for a new one (sigh)

Anyway its a compliment I have kept all AH's work on the Lancaster. Thanks for them all.

Members who have read this thread: 0