P3D compatable VN scenery

Thread: P3D compatable VN scenery

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries

P3D compatable VN scenery

I'm back guys. I got my installation on the correct drive, and decided to fly my Huey over VN. Only problem is that VN looks like Saudi Arabia in P3D. Is there an addon scenery that will restore the jungle and take away the desert?

Blog Entries
    Somebody here on SOH was working on a 1965 era version of Vietnam a while back. I am not sure what the status of it is. Maybe they will see this and answer?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    I'm back guys. I got my installation on the correct drive, and decided to fly my Huey over VN. Only problem is that VN looks like Saudi Arabia in P3D. Is there an addon scenery that will restore the jungle and take away the desert?
    That is a very loaded question! How good do you want it? I am very pleased with the look of my scenery in P3Dv4, but it comes at a cost. The base layer for good scenery is "mesh" and a very good "mesh" product is Pilot's FS Global Ultimate. I went with ORBX for the next layers; Textures and Autogen are contained in their Global Base Pack and shorelines, lakes, rivers, roads, rail, etc., etc. are contained in their Global Vector.

These are not the only products in these categories, but to improve the look of your scenery there is not just one thing that has to be improved to accomplish that task.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    When I fly, I pretty much only do it in SEA.

For my mesh, I have been using the South-east Asia SRTM Mesh (available on AVSIM). It's reasonably accurate.....and free.

One of the biggest problems with the "stock" scenery are the inaccurate roads and rivers.
    ORBX Global Vector (in addition to their Base Pack) makes the rivers more accurate.
    As for the roads, I have tested some SEA roads for
    roger-wilco-66 and found that they are pretty accurate.

With everything put together, I can reasonably navigate southern Laos (specifically the DMZ, Steel Tiger & Barrel Roll AO's) at low level using topographical maps from the SEA war time period.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

If I already have FTX Global Vector, do I really need the additional freeware mesh?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    If I already have FTX Global Vector, do I really need the additional freeware mesh?
    Global Vector is not mesh. If you haven't installed a 3rd party mesh your P3D installation is using the default mesh. I did a quick search and came up with this video comparing PILOT'S mesh to default - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfMQVGw7FQ . About halfway through the video they start comparing the meshes. Do some additional searches to see more examples.

I would also say that the coloring of the various scenery segments (tiles) is done by FTX Base Pack. Coloring of those segments, like forests, fields, trees, golf courses, etc., etc., is important to the look and feel of your sim.

P.S. - Maybe I should put it this way - mesh for "bumps"; FTX vector for "lines" (roads, railways, shore line (lakes and oceans)); FTX base pack for specifying and coloring tiles. I'm sure others here know more about the sim functions than I do, but that is what I did to get a greatly improved visual appearance to my sim. I have also purchased (over many years) various sceneries from FTX, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, PacSim and Aerosoft and have been very pleased with all of those purchases. The guys at ORBX / FTX did a VERY SPECTACULAR thing for folks that used their scenery products in FSX and I would like to recognize that now. THANKS FTX / ORBX for migrating your scenery from FSX to P3D without additional charge! That was a huge money saver.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

I have been working on converting the "Vietnam War Project" scenery and objects to P3Dv4 , and trying to find v4 compatible aircraft for the traffic . So far it's turning out pretty nice !

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette99 View Post
    I have been working on converting the "Vietnam War Project" scenery and objects to P3Dv4 , and trying to find v4 compatible aircraft for the traffic . So far it's turning out pretty nice !
    How is this project going ? Keep us informed cause there would be a whole lot of people interested in this . The Vietnam War Project was one of my favorites .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    How is this project going ? Keep us informed cause there would be a whole lot of people interested in this . The Vietnam War Project was one of my favorites .

Rich
    Coming along slowly but surely. When I get somewhere close to done I will post a new subject.
    Need to verify with the original folks involved that it is okay for me to share their modified work.

......and that is why we didn't use any of it for the FSX@War SEA theater.

Hopefully you will have much better luck than we did,

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette99 View Post
    Coming along slowly but surely. When I get somewhere close to done I will post a new subject.
    Need to verify with the original folks involved that it is okay for me to share their modified work.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Members who have read this thread: 0