My Buttkicker Gamer 2 fried today, but.....

Thread: My Buttkicker Gamer 2 fried today, but.....

My Buttkicker Gamer 2 fried today, but.....

Early this morning, just before our area was hit with a fast-moving storm, our power went off/on about three times in less than a couple minutes. I have ALL of my electronics plugged into a 1500va CyberPower AVR. Never had a issue with anything until today. I went to turn on my Buttkicker Gamer 2, but the power light did not illuminate. Not good. Checked all connections. Nothing.

I called the company, Guitammer. They said to try replacing the fuse in the back. I didn't even know there WAS a fuse, let alone a spare included. So I replaced the fuse, and voila! The unit registered power when I plugged it in. All seemed ok, until I actually turned the unit on. Immediately there was a loud "bang". Power light went out.

So.....I called them back. The warranty is good until this December 24th. Whew! They are shipping out a replacement amp today. Great customer service!!

Love the Gamer 2, by the way. Really adds immersion to simming AND listening to music!!! NC

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker...SAAEgJoqfD_BwE

Just curious Chief, your CyberPower AVR is just plugged into your normal wall outlet? I just Google searched that unit and it does say it helps to protect from surges during a power outage. Any kind of "surge" protector will protect against current surges but probably not against Voltage spikes. Voltage spikes also occur at the start of outages or when power companies throw their main switches diverting or bringing in electricity from other areas.

You may want to add a voltage spike protector between the wall outlet and the AVR. Radio Shack (rest in peace) use to carry them for under $15. I have one on my big screen TV.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Just curious Chief, your CyberPower AVR is just plugged into your normal wall outlet? I just Google searched that unit and it does say it helps to protect from surges during a power outage. Any kind of "surge" protector will protect against current surges but probably not against Voltage spikes. Voltage spikes also occur at the start of outages or when power companies throw their main switches diverting or bringing in electricity from other areas.

You may want to add a voltage spike protector between the wall outlet and the AVR. Radio Shack (rest in peace) use to carry them for under $15. I have one on my big screen TV.

Great tip, thanks!! I will get one immediately! NC

Honestly, yes, a voltage spike guard of some kind IS good, no question.

Even better, though, is an UPS unit. Mor expensive, but they guard against voltage spikes, power failures, lightning strikes, any form of power problem. There's no direct connection between input and output, so any power troubles can't get to your equipment. They also give you a little time, how little depending on the quality of the UPS unit, to get things properly shut down in the event of a power outage. Your computer, monitor, moden, whatever.

No computer system should be without an UPS. MY personal policy is "If it's much more complex than a toaster, it goes on an UPS." TTV, Sound system, Router, computers, you name it.
    A small side note: Laptops have a built-in UPS, as long as the battery is good. Just a head's up

Good luck, Chief! My father-in-law is a retired Master Chief, BTW. We have a good ol' time when we're together in the same room

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Honestly, yes, a voltage spike guard of some kind IS good, no question.

Even better, though, is an UPS unit. Mor expensive, but they guard against voltage spikes, power failures, lightning strikes, any form of power problem. There's no direct connection between input and output, so any power troubles can't get to your equipment. They also give you a little time, how little depending on the quality of the UPS unit, to get things properly shut down in the event of a power outage. Your computer, monitor, moden, whatever.

No computer system should be without an UPS. MY personal policy is "If it's much more complex than a toaster, it goes on an UPS." TTV, Sound system, Router, computers, you name it.
    A small side note: Laptops have a built-in UPS, as long as the battery is good. Just a head's up

Good luck, Chief! My father-in-law is a retired Master Chief, BTW. We have a good ol' time when we're together in the same room

Pat☺
    Hey Pat,

Here is a review of the AVR/UPS I have: https://www.lifewire.com/cyberpower-...review-2624698

I tried to find a voltage spike protector, but for the most part, all I see are surge protectors. Are they one in the same? NC

I tried to find a voltage spike protector, but for the most part, all I see are surge protectors. Are they one in the same? NC
    Yes. Same thing, different names.
    You can even get ones made to go on your house-hold's input from the power company. They connect straight to the house's main ground wire. The heavy-gauge, bare, copper wire that runs down the pole, or wherever the meter/main breaker is mounted, down to the house's ground post. Where it comes down from the transformer, and gozinta the house's main breaker. Good idea to have a certified electrician put it in, though. A little expensive, but worth it.
    Electrics generally have two connections. A gozinta and a gozoutta
    Sorry, little electronixs humor there...

Anywho, you can put one there, at the house's main breaker in the interior circuit breaker panel, generally a 2-300 Amp, 3 Phase breaker. IN AMERICA. I cannot speak to other countries' set ups. That would protect the entire house.
    If you rather do one circuit at a time (cheaper, do-it-yourself), there are any number of surge ratings available. You need 3 wire outlets, to give them a solid ground to duct the surges to. Many you can just plug in in-line to whatever is on that outlet. They should go in the UPS's input line, before the UPS. Right out of the wall. It's a small insurance policy, protecting the UPS as well as the rest of the "stuff" that feeds off it.
    Some also/in place of a direct connection to the house's ground system, have a wire that you can screw into the outlet's center screw. The one that holds the cover on. I don't trust those, though. A little paint or dirt on the screw, and no ground, thus, no surge protection.

Here is a review of the AVR/UPS I have: https://www.lifewire.com/cyberpower-...review-2624698

Small world! That's the very same thing I have on my router, modem, and wife's computer system, printer, etc. It's a very good UPS, for a reasonable price.

A small detail about almost every UPS system: The heavier ones, like the one we use, use a lead-acid battery. It's right inside the main unit's cover. Easy to get to to replace. Two wires, usually with a decent sized Phillip's screw holding them on the posts. Quick, and easy to unscrew/screw onto a new battery.
    The battery WILL go bad after some years of constant service. It's a real good idea to test the UPS, using it's included software, once in a while. Monthly, once every three months, something like that. When you do, monitor the time available when the input is interrupted. It WILL drop over time, and when it gets to about 50% of the "new" system's value, strongly consider replacing the battery. An UPS with a bad battery is nothing more than an expensive power strip to plug things into.
    You can get new batteries for the UPS where you bought the UPS, generally. Beware, though, of systems that are getting really old. It may be tough to find a battery for it. Generally, as long as the size, shape, post placement, and voltage rating match up, it's a "suitable sub", as we used to say in the military. Watch out for reversed + and - posts! Different manufacturers can do that on you.
    Do NOT exceed the old battery's amp-hour rating. The UPS's internal circuitry may not be able to handle it.

I apologize if I give too much info. I don't know your history and experience. I'd rather give too much information that not enough, you know?

Good luck, Chief!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0