Dino's Tomcat causing crash to desktop

Thread: Dino's Tomcat causing crash to desktop

Dino's Tomcat causing crash to desktop

Hi all,

I would need some help regarding some problems with the original FSX+Acceleration.

I'm currently trying to remotely help a friend configure that sim on another computer.
    The sim seems to be working fine so far, and there are very few basic addons installed yet. (no OrbX, no TacPack, nothing that makes deep modifications to the sim).
    The FSX.CFG was reset (deleted) and has no tweaks at all inside.
    FSUIPC is installed, the addon menu is visible in sim.

We have installed Dino's Tomcat in version 2.40.
    When selecting the aircraft, the aircraft preview does not show the full model. Like if the exterior body textures were missing (radar and inside of the cockpit are visible).
    When confirming the aircraft choice, the sim crashes to desktop.

I first thought about the HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak to add into the FSX.CFG in the [GRAPHICS] section, but that didn't change anything.
    The CPU is an old i7 and I believe the graphic card is an average one (not sure about the model). That computer used to run FSX + addons perfectly prior to complete reinstall.
    Do you guys have any idea about what could be the origin of the problem ?

The first thing to do is to find out what the faulting module is that is causing the CTD. To do that:

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.
    One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:
    Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
    Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a
    Faulting process id: 0x748
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4
    Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe
    Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll
    Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,
    you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->
    Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.
    Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Sounds like model compatibility to me. There are a number of options in the download for various things such as working cockpit mirrors - the docs detail everything required. Worth checking those out first to see if something's tripping FSX up.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

+1 to what Dean (DC1973) said.. Specially if you sent your buddy "your" installed Tomcat!
    Roman

I'd check that the Acceleration disc has actually been installed as what you are describing sounds like a classic casa of trying to run a model with high res textures in original FSX without Acc or the service packs.

Thanks a lot gentlemen, I've now got a few things to investigate.
    The model itself should be ok (mirrors and such) since I could get it installed in my FSX Steam without any problem. Also, my friend was using the original archive downloaded from Dino's website, so all should be alright.
    I'll check if Acceleration has indeed been installed properly, and I'll also check if there are any entries in the Windows event log.

Don't forget that having the DX10 preview checked on can have these effects as well, I believe. Might be something to take a glance at, anyway.

Remember also, that FSX:SE is essentially FSX + Acceleration, and SP1 as well. FSX Gold, I think it is. I've only ever had SE so...

Good Luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Hi there...

The F-14 should work perfectly fine with FSX:A. My two cents:

As for the missing external textures I've seen this happening on some planes before - this is usually solved by updating the graphic card driver.

The crash *may* be unrelated. This is usually due to Acceleration module not installed. Planes that, like the Tomcat, use the supersonic modeling features in Acceleration .air file WILL CRASH FSX vanilla (boxed), SP1 and SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post

The crash *may* be unrelated. This is usually due to Acceleration module not installed. Planes that, like the Tomcat, use the supersonic modeling features in Acceleration .air file WILL CRASH FSX vanilla (boxed), SP1 and SP2.
    Yes it does! I can vouch for that
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Thanks a lot Dino !
    Hopefully I will get some news from my friend during the weekend. I have transmitted the list of things to check that you all provided here, now I have to wait for his feedback

Today I received the confirmation that Acceleration was not installed yet on that fresh FSX install.
    After a proper installation of Acceleration, the Tomcat and the T-45 displayed properly in the preview, and didn't crash the sim on loading.
    Then problem is solved finally.

Thank you all for the precious advice

Members who have read this thread: 0