XP 11.30 Beta

Thread: XP 11.30 Beta

XP 11.30 Beta

H/U:
    Apparently, 11.30 beta is available now.

Might give it a whirl after doing a backup of 11.26.

I'm going to hold off for a bit. I heard the new particle system is causing a FPS loss for a lot of folks.
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Blog Entries
    I just updated to beta3 this morning.. No comments yet, but only because i havent fiddled with it enough to have formed any opinions..

Is anybody here using VR in the current beta ? (beta 4)
    It's the first time for me to try VR in XPlane (I use P3D normally), and while I get pretty good performance in non-VR mode (more than 50 FPS), I get terrible performance in the same place in VR mode (around 20 FPS).

I experimented a bit with the settings, and realized the main impact comes from the antialiasing settings. No AA is smooth. AA level 1 (FXAA) is already showing a big impact on FPS, and AA level 2 (FXAA+2xMSAA) bring the FPS down to 20. Is that normal ?

My computer is a i7 8700k with a GTX1070ti. VR helmet is a Lenovo Explorer.

Things got much better after I regenerated the shaders.
    Performance is still not top notch, but at least I could reactivate some AA.
    Pretty pleased with the experience so far.

That being said, I realized something strange: when starting a flight in Seattle, the amount of memory consumed by my computer goes up to 16 GB of used RAM.
    I had to drastically increase the size of my virtual memory to 16 GB (in addition to the 16 GB of RAM I currently have on the motherboard) to avoid an out-of-memory crash to desktop... Is that normal ?

Blog Entries
    Daube, I have not experienced that yet. I don't own XP11 but I put it on systems I build and I have not seen it happen yet. I will keep looking for it...you might ask that question at Austin's XP site.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks for checking
    However, I realized one thing: contrary to what I thought, I am NOT using the default scenery around Seattle.
    I am, in fact, using the HD Mesh v4.
    That might explain the size in the memory, I suppose.

I have dowloaded/installed very few sceneries so far in XP11. I think I installed the sim with the default Hawaii islands and then I added a few HD Mesh v4 areas for France, Japan and the area around Seattle (more or less the same coverage as OrbX PNW).

Anyways, now that I increased the virtual memory, everything seems to work fine without crashes. I made a few flights just for comparing the HD Mesh v4 with OrbX PNW in P3D. Of course PNW has more details (and a few photorealistic coverages here and there, for volcanos for example), but I'm quite pleased with the result so far.

Set your page file to a fixed size of at least 16 GB with 8 GB physical RAM. With 16 GB, a page file of 8 to 10 GB will suffice. That way, XP may reserve as much memory as it needs, despite never fully using it as the actual memory used by a typical session with HD Mesh and without extended DSFs amounts to 6 GB or so. Total size (actual+reserved) is around 12 GB and it's those extra reserved GBs that will kill an improperly configured system.

Thanks Bjoern, that's precisely what I did: minimum size = maximum size = 16 GB.
    I set the virtual memory on one of my oldest SSD disks, an old 80 Gb from Intel I bought many years ago. I know it's not recommended to create paging files on SSDs, but I have no choice, since the heat fans are the only rotating things left in my computer

Even when using a page file, you're never going to attain the amount of read/write operations that are required for a premature failure. Therefor, I consider the "no page file" rule outdated BS.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    How do I get the beta version? I followed some instructions on the X-Plane help site but i got the X-Plane 11.25 installer.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

The option is located in the installer program (XPlane installer).
    There is a small checkbox at the botton of one of the screens, to tell you want to receive beta versions. By default, it's unchecked.
    Just relaunch your installer program and take a close look to find it

Members who have read this thread: 0